Talk

Advanced search

Contractions starting and stopping for over a week should I be worried?

(12 Posts)
OFSTEDoutstanding Thu 28-Aug-08 11:44:09

Hi I am currently 40+4 with dc2 and I was wondering if it is normal for contractions to start and stop for a period of time. Since last week I have been having contraction like pains (but am able to still function with them) every evening and occasionnally they are coming about 10 mins apart I go to bed and then in the morning nothing! They have all stopped.
My ds was born early so didn't have any of this with him when the contractions started they were proper full blown take your breath away ones. Should I be worried or are they likely to be braxton hicks ones? Went to midwife Tuesday and she said head is 3/5 engaged so could it be stretching pains.
Has anyone else had a similar experience especially if overdue or in the last couple of weeks of their pregnancy? TIA

OOOOh I was like that with my second went on to have a 5 hour labour.

Midwife said I'd probably been dilating for a week or so.

'Tis very common I think.

Good luck.

3kids1cat Thu 28-Aug-08 13:08:20

That was exactly how I was with dc3. Kept thinking that it was getting going, then would wake up with nothing happening. I was 40+5 and due to go in to be induced the next day, when my waters went. Dd was born 50mins later after 3 strong contractions and 2 pushes. Midwife had only just walked through the door, not even any time for pain relief. So be warned, when it gets going it might be quick!

notsoteenagemum Thu 28-Aug-08 13:22:25

Had this with DS from 40+2 every night til they didn't stop at 41 weeks wasn't a quick labour though soz started late saturday night wasn'tborn til mid-morning mondaysad
Good luck though try not to worry and get lots of rest now if they're bad.

merryberry Thu 28-Aug-08 14:25:24

yes, ds2: 19 days of on off contractions, up to 40+10. really thought it was labour 3 times as got up to 6 largish contractions per hour on those occasssions. one set lasted overnight, other two sets were shorter. we ended up in 4 hour labour though, so hurray. good luck!

NoPainNoGain Thu 28-Aug-08 14:32:29

My contractions lasted nearly 2 weeks so I kept thinking I was in labour but things calmed down again. One day after due date I was a bit fed up and decided to go to hospital for a check. The baby came as soon as the formalities were settled and I was told to push. DH only just made it in time... So 2 week "labour" + about 1.5 hours. I hope you live near the hospital! Good luck!

OFSTEDoutstanding Thu 28-Aug-08 14:47:33

I live about 5 miles from hospital and dh used to be a boy racer so am sure he could get me there pretty quick. Would love a nice quick labour this time. With ds I start contracting at 2am Friday morning and had him at 6.40am Sunday morning so think I deserve a relatively quick one this time round!

Hersetta Thu 28-Aug-08 15:11:39

Wish it was always quick. I had contractions every six minutes which lasted for 60 seconds continually for 5 days but I wasn't dilating at all. My waters broke and contractions went down to every two minutes but another 18 hours later I was still at 3cms and was whipped in for a EMCS. Sorry can't offer such a positive outcome.

sophiebbb Thu 28-Aug-08 15:17:18

DS1 was 2 weeks early and like you went straight into it. DD2 - had loads of false alarms like you - started every 10 minutes and then stopped. When it eventually did happen (40+1) it was a VERY quick labour - got to hospital at 9.30pm, admitted at 10pm and born at 10.36pm. Be aware it could be a quick one!!

MummyAnnabella Thu 28-Aug-08 15:34:17

yeah i started and stopped for 5 days but once waters went on day 5 it was v quick thereafter

bootus Sat 30-Aug-08 11:00:33

This is so good to know, I'm 40+1 and for last 2 nights been woken fairly regularly with painful but not horrendous contractions, enough to wake me and need painkiller. Pains seem to be on half-hourly-ish basis throughout day but not amounting to anything else. Feel like going mad!!!

Mummywannabe Sun 31-Aug-08 20:47:35

This happened to me, but actual established labour very quick and after a hellish week i was relieved something was happening. Word of warning when my waters broke all my pains stopped instantly called labour ward and told to come in but not to rush. Went in straight away, and by the time we got there i was having contractions every 1 1/2 minutes, so listen to yourself and go in when you feel the need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now