Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to bleed quite considerably after waters break?

(12 Posts)
G2B Wed 27-Aug-08 12:00:54

I had my baby over 15 weeks ago, but at the time I kept bleeding after my waters broke and they kept saying my waters hadn't gone and I was paranoid, but they had, and they were quite thick. They started to turn green and smelt and I was induced after I demanded a scan which confirmed they'd broken.

The bleeding got worse and worse at this point and I can remember clumps of blood going into the toilet each time I had a wee. I also had blood on my pad. DP went to get someone who said 'oh it's just normal' but now I've thought about it, I don't think it is.

I bled ridiculous amounts after I had the baby and had an infection which is gone now. But my last period was so heavy I had to wear 2 maternity pads, change them every 30-45 minutes and couldn't leave the house because it kept going through my pants.

Is there something wrong?

TheProvincialLady Wed 27-Aug-08 12:04:31

I had a womb infection after having DS and it cleared up, but I got another one 3 months later and had to have an operation - there may have been something left inside me that caused it. Your period does not sound normal and I think you should get some advice if it is the same next time.

I don't know about the bleeding after waters breaking, sorry.

bethoo Wed 27-Aug-08 12:07:27

that sounds as though you had meconium in your waters which should have been attended to straight away!

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 12:09:06

I'm not a midwife, but heavy bleeding with clots after your waters breaking is not normal, and the green colour and smell were also not normal.

When my waters broke with dd1, I had some reddish/pink bleeding but never clumps, and the bleeding wasn't heavy, it was just due to the baby pushing down.

I think you should see someone about your last period - that does sound very heavy.

How do you feel in yourself?

giddly Wed 27-Aug-08 12:12:00

Infections can make you bleed very heavily when you have a period. I think you should definately get checked to make sure the infection has resolved.

G2B Wed 27-Aug-08 12:12:24

It was 50 hours between my waters breaking and actually having DS because they kept sending me home saying I was paranoid. I threw a fit and cried and they still sent me home feeling silly sad

G2B Wed 27-Aug-08 12:14:38

Well I've been very hormonal. I felt quite weak around my last period, but other than that I'm ok. I used to only have light periods.

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 12:18:52

Your hospital experience doesn't sound that good. No way were you paranoid - it sounds like you knew far better what was going on then the medical people!

I do thnk you you see your GP about your heavy periods.

Libra1975 Wed 27-Aug-08 12:19:21

hmm it is normal to have some pink tinge with your show but not to bleed heavily after your waters broke, in fact one of the things our anti-natal teacher said was if you are bleeding go to hospital immediatly.
Go see your GP asap.

MmeLindt Wed 27-Aug-08 12:25:49

Sounds a bit strange to me. My waters did not burst until right before DD was born and the fluid was green. There was a bit of a rush to get DD out then, something about the waters being green and it not being good for the baby. I don't know whether that is just a precaution here in Germany though, there are a lot of differences in pre and antenatal care between UK and Germany.

You should definitely go to the GP or the hospital and ask to be referred for a scan so they can check that everything is ok. The heavy bleeding is a bit worrying.

Sorry that you had such a bad experience, the hospital sound shite, tbh.

G2B Wed 27-Aug-08 12:27:09

Belgo did you see my other thread on all the awful things the hospital did such as sending DP home and leaving me in a dark room on my own crying. It was terrifying.

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 12:36:46

no I haven't seen that thread. I think you have a good case to write to the hospital and ask for an explanation of how they treated you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now