Talk

Advanced search

Does induction have to include sweep?

(11 Posts)
dancerandprancer Tue 26-Aug-08 18:07:02

I am due DC2 today and just know that I will end up being induced like last time. However I really dont like the idea of a sweep. Am seeing the MW tomorrow and think she will probably book one in for me. Is it possible to be induced (prostin gel etc) without sweep first.

amazonianadventure Tue 26-Aug-08 18:11:22

it is yes, but they will want to offer you a sweep so they can see if you will go into labour yourself then if you dont they will induce you.

why do you not want a sweep first?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 26-Aug-08 18:18:17

Message withdrawn

TheBlonde Tue 26-Aug-08 18:20:17

Depends on who does your sweep
I had one with DC1 and it was so awful, worse than childbirth, more like having my cervix assaulted

amazonianadventure Tue 26-Aug-08 18:25:54

the blonde- having prostin inserted into your vagina is like being assaulted too.

why do you know your going to be induced? unless your psychic i really dont see how you can?Id be trying to chill out and allow labour to start naturally

dancerandprancer Tue 26-Aug-08 18:26:05

First experience was much the same as TheBlondes and it was unsuccessful. Therefore not keen. I guess it depends on who does is. Wondered what other options were available before i see MW tomorrow.

TheBlonde Tue 26-Aug-08 18:29:00

not experienced prostin, do they give your cervix a good shove with that too?

dancer - try to stay positive, have you tried any natural induction methods?

PixelHerder Tue 26-Aug-08 18:29:36

I had 4 sweeps and an induction, all were entirely voluntary. I'm sure you don't have to have sweeps before induction if you don't want to.

My sweeps weren't particularly uncomfortable but I guess everyone's experience is different.

PixelHerder Tue 26-Aug-08 18:34:36

I can't remember much about the prostin going in so it can't have been too bad, I think they do put it right on/into the cervix though.

Mummyfor3 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:43:16

I had an ok induction with DC1, emergency CS with DC2, and successful VBAC [smug emoticon] following 2 sweeps when I was 1 and 2 weeks post dates - of all of them the last delivery was by far the most enjoyable best during which I felt most in control.

Yes, a "good" sweep is very uncomfortable, but, IMO, hey ho!! If it works, it is well worth it, or was for me.

Why are you not keen on sweep but will consider induction? Also, why are you so certain that you will need any kind of help to go into labour??

Good luck, whatever happens. I do hope you have the kind of delivery you would like, however does not always happen...

MrsMattie Tue 26-Aug-08 18:53:06

Your body, your choice. however, a sweep is no big deal compared to having the pessaries inserted or being on a syntocin drip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now