Talk

Advanced search

Sorry this must have been done to death but can you tell me about your VBAC experience?

(10 Posts)
mumofdjandbabies Mon 25-Aug-08 22:37:59

any advice?

3andnomore Tue 26-Aug-08 00:15:05

hm, mainly bumping it for you, as no advice, but you might want to search for VBAC, there are plenty of threads about it, there might be somehting helpful in it for you!

PortAndLemon Tue 26-Aug-08 07:52:45

Here's mine.

mumofdjandbabies Tue 26-Aug-08 11:53:12

aw thanks

wow port wow! grin

surprisenumber3 Tue 26-Aug-08 12:38:27

Hi mumofdjandbabies

I had a VBAC. It was fine. I did have to go into hospital as soon as my waters broke (before the contractions started) because they wanted to monitor my scar to make sure it didn't rupture. I also had to spend a bit of time on and off the monitor as they said they would know by fetal distress if there was a problem with my scar.

But, everything went fine. Had about 9 hours of proper labour, had gas and air and pethidine. Went home a few hours later.

Am currently pregnant with number 3. Really hope for another VBAC!

Good luck xx

sweetgrapes Tue 26-Aug-08 14:52:23

Hi,
I had a VBAC a couple of years back. It was great.

I had a trainee doula with me and she was great. We arrived at the hospital a bit later than I expected and I was already 10 cm dilated. I took awhile to get on the bed but once there, there was nothing left to do but push. They strapped on a monitor as soon as I was on the bed. I had thought I wouldn't want it but I actually found the sound of the heartbeat very reassuring. It's the one thing I was tuned into during all that pushing.

My hospital had a time limit on first and second stages of labour. The first I got around inadvertently by arriving late.

The second target was just hit. I pushed ds out just a few minutes under 1 hr. The midwife was great and did her best to help. The doula and dh were also great. I know I would have done it even if they weren't there - but NOT in time. Which would have meant possibly unnecessary intervention. (Second pregnancy but first labour.)

I was in hospiatl a bit after midnight. Midwife managed to check that yes I was 10cm at 1 (hence the clock starts NOW). Ds pushed out at 2. Up in the ward by 5 and discharged by evening. Would have been ready for discharge in the morning itself, except for some Rh- issues.

Would def recommend a doula.

mumofdjandbabies Wed 27-Aug-08 10:20:47

grin

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 27-Aug-08 10:24:08

Reassuring to hear these stories. Had em cs with DS and am no ttc no two and so obviously interested in the whole vabc thing.

Do you think a doula makes a difference? Satying at home as long as poss??

Also, I was told that I had a failure to progress due to one side of womb contracting and staying contracted so only dilated 5cms..anyone else had this?

greenlawn Thu 28-Aug-08 10:53:24

I had a lovely vbac four years ago, and I'm hoping for another in about 3 weeks time!

The only problem I found was being told lots of different things before the actual birth, many of which turned out not to be true! I was told I would have to have continuous monitoring and therefore would have to stay on the bed (not true - I was able to stand/sit on a birth ball the whole time) and that I would only be given 1 hour for second stage (not true - took me 1 1/2 hours and no time pressure at all). I didn't have a doula but I had a very supportive midwife and I do feel she made the difference in that situation.

Good luck.

mumofdjandbabies Fri 29-Aug-08 09:44:34

aw thanks guys

kind of waiting now as 38 weeks
mind you my two little boys keep me busy!!! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now