Talk

Advanced search

post-natal care after homebirth

(7 Posts)
feb Mon 25-Aug-08 14:24:46

am trying to decide whether to have a HB this time or not.
DS born in hospital (lovely waterbirth) and the postnatal support i got at my local MLU was fantastic and very much needed as he was rubbish at breastfeeding.
am wondering what kind of help i can expect at home if i'm having similar breastfeeding problems this time?
i know there is no reason this one is should be the same as DS1, but just wondering what your experiences were?
thanks

scorpio1 Mon 25-Aug-08 14:26:50

I had a HB, and was a first time BFer (3rd time mum)

The mws on one day(day 2) came out 3 times to help me! I found my postnatal care here brilliant, as always.

cheesychips Mon 25-Aug-08 14:55:51

I hired independent midwives so had fabulous, but expensive, care!

lindenlass Wed 27-Aug-08 09:41:43

Depends on your local area, I'm afraid. But breastfeeding is likely to be a bit easier after a homebirth anyway. Just make sure you spend plenty of time cuddled up skin-to-skin with your baby and let him/her doze and nuzzle and feed as and when and how he/she wants - you and baby will learn much faster how to breastfeed that way.

heroicsavage Wed 27-Aug-08 13:07:53

I had a home water birth. It was my first birth and I really didn't want to be going into hospital. I had to have two midwives and they were fantastic they came out the morning after he was born and came to see me several times a day for the first ten days. They made sure I knew what I was doing as far as bf went almost as soon as he was born and checked with me about it every time they visited.
I totally recommend it and would not have wanted t do it any other way despite my screaming for an epidural after my first contraction!

feb Wed 27-Aug-08 14:48:30

i'm glad there have been some good experiences. in fact i hear very few negative stories about HB...

Lovage Wed 27-Aug-08 22:02:54

I had a 'failed' homebirth, which entailed being in hospital for all of 2 hours after DS was born, so effectively like a homebirth for postnatal support. We had huge difficulty getting bfing going - took a week, but had daily visits from MW or maternity care assistant for all of that first week. Once he had finally latched on, they tried to discharge us as 'fine' when I was still extremely anxious and shakey, but thankfully the MCA came anyway despite being told not to, and I got the NCT bfing counsellor in a few times.

Maybe we'd have got the hang of it quicker if we'd stayed in hospital, but I'd have hated it so much I don't think it would have helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now