Talk

Advanced search

DH thinks my waters have gone, I'm not sure

(13 Posts)
sherbetdipdab Fri 22-Aug-08 15:35:33

Sorry this sounds so stupid, I know!

I'm 38 weeks tomorrow and booked for a section on Monday.

Yesterday whilst I was manically cleaning the upstairs I had a strange feeling, high up in my bump then realised I was soaked to my knees. I had just been to the toilet so I know it was incontinence and it smelt sort of like white chocolate (sorry!)

I went and had another shower and during the rest of yesterday I had another few tiny trickles of fluid, not enough to need a pad or anything.

Today there hasn't been much just a tiny trickle at lunchtime although I feel damp sometimes.

DH wants me to phone the hospital but they just tell you to come up to get checked any time you phone as they are cautious.

I was up a couple of weeks ago as I thought my waters had broken but they said no, I was so embarrased and really don't want to waste their time again.

Do you think I should just wait and see?

ScaryHairy Fri 22-Aug-08 15:36:44

No. I think you should get checked.
Iirc, amniotic fluid does smell sweet.

ShowOfHands Fri 22-Aug-08 15:37:25

If it smells sweet and you were soaked to your knees then I think suspecting your waters have gone is fair. I'd ring if I were you.

Why the cs?

norksinmywaistband Fri 22-Aug-08 15:37:41

Sounds ike it to me, waters IME smelt a bit like sperm not choc though.
I would get checked. You may be having this baby soner than Mon and if you need a section for med reasons then you do not want to go into full labour and need an ECS

LaylaandSethsmum Fri 22-Aug-08 15:37:49

I think you should go and get it checked out, if it is your waters then it is important as they may want to induce you due to increased risk of infection.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 15:38:34

You won't be wasting their time, it's their job, that's why they are there!
It sounds like they have gone, pop a pad on and see if there's anything else. You should give them a call aswell. smile

sherbetdipdab Fri 22-Aug-08 15:42:41

I'm having a section as I had an emergency section only 13 months ago for complications with another scar on my abdomen. It started to rupture while I was in labour.

I spoke to my Mum about it yesterday and she basically told me to stop being ridiculous and if they had gone I would know!

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 15:47:01

Hmm. I'd just phone. There's no harm in checking. I had mine broken when I had ds, there wasn't a big gush, more like a small gush so it's different for everyone.

Phone them.

MrsTittleMouse Fri 22-Aug-08 15:47:54

Not everyone has the big dramatic whoosh that you see on TV. I'd get the midwife to check.
Good luck.

norksinmywaistband Fri 22-Aug-08 15:47:58

In that case sherbet I would go in. If they have gone then you really do not want contractions to start and put more strain on the scar.
Good lucksmile

sherbetdipdab Fri 22-Aug-08 15:52:21

Thanks everyone, I'm just waiting for DH to come home now.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 15:53:16

I hope it goes ok for you. smile

warthog Fri 22-Aug-08 17:42:28

sounds like me when my waters broke. an initial soaking and then not much except the odd small trickle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now