Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Waters went at 2am, booked for homebirth, nothing happening - what are my options?!

(43 Posts)
bohemianbint Fri 22-Aug-08 12:13:21

I'm aware that things could start happening any moment...but if they don't...

I'll be expected to go into hospital in the morning to be "accelerated."

I really, really want to avoid this because I know once I go in it'll be a slippery slope and I'll lose all control over what happens. Do I really have to go into hospital 24 hours after the waters have gone? This is my second baby and am a bit freaked as my first was a lovely 4 hours labour at home and I hadn't banked on this!

Obviously, the health of my baby is paramount, and if I had any cause for concern I would obviously do whatever is suggested, but I don't want intervention for the sake of it.

Can anyone tell me about rights and risks, and how to avoid being put onto a production line if I have to be admitted? (Midwife who works at the hospital I'm going to already told me that you have an hour to push before they start on you with other methods. Was told this morning that if I wasn't booked for a HB they'd be doing vaginal exams to "make sure" the waters have gone, even though that would surely increase the risk of infection and therefore intervention anyway?!

I'm probably rambling and am a bit shaky but if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, please send this baby some vibes to get it moving asap!

No experience but bumping for you, wish you all the best and hope things get moving very soon. x

orangehead Fri 22-Aug-08 12:23:40

Moving vibes being sent your way. Have you tried having a good walk or something to help.

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 12:26:48

you can of course refuse admission and if you do go in, refuse anything you do not wish to have...

are you sure that it was your forewaters? was it a big gush?

keep an eye on your temperature and the colour of anny fluid you are losing..

odds are your ctx will start

try some nipple stim and some smooching with your DH

ellideb Fri 22-Aug-08 12:27:09

Again, sorry I have no experience but I wish you all the best and am sending positve labour vibes your way. I am going to be watching this thread with interest as I am having a home birth and would like to know what my options would be if the same thing happens. I thought that they gave you 48 hours after your waters had broken but it may differ from hospital to hospital. No one can make you do anything you don't want to though and you can refuse examinations etc. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Good luck and my thoughts are with you wink

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 12:28:25

NICE guidelines used to say 96 hours before induction recommended, but that has been reduced IIRC.

however, you can make an informed decision to wait longer than 24 hours.

BabiesEverywhere Fri 22-Aug-08 12:28:46

The NICE guidelines use to say it was fine to wait 96 hours after waters breaking before intervention was needed. In the mean time no sex, baths or anything else up your fanjo to prevent infections.

However they changed the NICE guidelines ast month so that they now recommend invention after 24 hours !!! Not sure why that was changed.

Most mothers will go into labour on their own within 96 hours but you have to decide if you are willing to wait that long in light of the changed guidelines.

ib Fri 22-Aug-08 12:32:01

I had this - but my waters hadn't really gone 'properly'. It was just that my hind waters went twice (there were actually 3 layers to the sac, normally there are two).

The mw's examination did seem to accelerate it all for me, though.

Waters went at 3 am, mw examined me at 6 pm (4 cm), strong contractions started soon after and baby was born at half past midnight.

Walking seemed to accelerate things too.

ellideb Fri 22-Aug-08 12:33:58

Lulumama is there a direct link to these NICE guidelines you have for labour and birth etc? I seem to get a bit lost when I have looked for them myself?

bohemianbint Fri 22-Aug-08 12:34:01

Thank you everyone for all the vibes! I might have a jog up and down the stairs and keep you posted...

Lulu - it was quite a big gush, but not sure if it was all of it, as they went in 2 lots with DS! Not really lost much since then but have been having a slow show since, IYSWIM. If I reach 24 hours and still nothing, can they tell if there is infection there, or can I just ask to be monitored for a while to make sure we are both ok?

Am in absolute fear of having to go into hospital!

mustsleep Fri 22-Aug-08 12:36:11

with dd my waters broke and i was told to go straight into hospital this was 8.30pm monday and was sent home and told to come back on wednesday morning if nothing had happened

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 12:50:12

will try and dig it out ellideb!

you do not have to go into hospital... you can make an informed decison to stay at home

if you are not feverish or feeling unwell and any fluid loss is clear they are good indications that all is well

it is up to you ,but obviously if there are indications of infection or any other issue best to be checked out.

you might well go into labour anyway.

are you losing any fluid now?

bohemianbint Fri 22-Aug-08 12:52:29

Noooo....not really. Just showy sort of stuff. Bump has just this second gone rock hard with some pressure quite low down so might have a bit of a stroll round and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice - will definitely be refusing to go in if it doesn't start, but no signs of any problems.

Back in a bit!

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 12:53:56

walking good, don;t tire yourself out., remember to eat and drink , wee and poo as you need to.. marslady always recommends a good comedy to get you laughing and opened up!

let us know x

ib Fri 22-Aug-08 12:57:38

My lovely mw told me there is a blood test they can do to rule out infections.

FourArms Fri 22-Aug-08 13:12:38

My waters went on the Sunday night, and as I was booked for a HB, I didn't go anywhere near a hospital until the Thursday when I went for a scan to check that the baby was OK. I had daily MW visits during that time. They did a VE exam on the Monday to check that my waters had gone and also a swab for infections. On the Thu the results of the swab came back showing GpB Strep, so I was induced on the Friday morning.

I just read the NICE guidelines, (here) and it is now 24 hours after rupture of membranes that they suggest induction. It was definitely 96 in 2006 when I had DS2.

Definitely ask them to do a Bishops score assessment before you consent to any induction.

The Bishop score is a group of measurements made by doing a vaginal examination, and is based on the station, dilation, effacement (or length), position and consistency of the cervix. A score of eight or more generally indicates that the cervix is ripe, or ‘favourable’ – when there is a high chance of spontaneous labour, or response to interventions made to induce labour.

If you do have an assessment, perhaps ask the MW to do a good stretch and sweep at the same time.

Good luck in getting a HB

bohemianbint Fri 22-Aug-08 15:06:08

Thanks FourArms - that's really useful!

I seem to be getting sporadic contractions, roughly 10 mins apart (ish) and have got the TENS on already (left it far too late last time!) so hoping things will pick up shortly. Midwife coming in the next hour so hopefully will know more then...

FourArms Fri 22-Aug-08 15:09:50

Great news

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 22-Aug-08 15:19:38

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 22-Aug-08 15:20:14

Message withdrawn

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 15:20:45

hope this is it ! hope all goes well xxx

ShowOfHands Fri 22-Aug-08 15:27:20

Good luck. My waters popped first and I had to wait for things to get going. Wishing you a lovely labour.

velbels Fri 22-Aug-08 15:28:47

i had same scenario in April. When i looked the the nice guidelines where still 96 hours. The hospital wanted to induce after 24h. In the end i agreed to go in after 60h but they delayed another 5h before taking me though to delivery, so it can't of been that urgent!

In the end turned out DS wan back to back, as apparently are when waters go early, and i was pleased we were in hospital as it was what we needed.

Just try and relax and go with what feels right for you

bohemianbint Fri 22-Aug-08 17:46:12

Bah! Still here!

More waters have gone, but contractions slow going. Did see a lovely midwife this afternoon though who said I need to go to hospital for half an hour's monitoring in the morning, but if I don't want to stay they can't make me, and I should ask for another day.

Touch wood that scenario won't arise...

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 17:47:43

as long as your contractions are still going.. make sure you rest this evening.. fingers but not legs crossed for a birth very soon !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now