breech baby and elective section(41 Posts)
I'm currently 38+4 today and found out today at my 39wk check that the baby has turned breech again. It had been transverse/breech all along until 37+4 when scan confirmed it had turned. I have polyhydramnios, although fluid levels are falling nicely they are still outside normal range for this time in the pregnancy.
I've been booked in for an elective C-section at 39+3, which I'm happy about. I dod not want an ECV.
My question is - if the baby turns back head down when I go in for pre-op check at 39+2, will the C-section be cancelled? can I insist on going ahead with section?
I can't bear the thought of getting all pysched up for this, arranging for my mum to come up and help with DS1 (who I didn't birth, this is my first birth) and DP to book time off work then be sent off to see if I go into labour naturally.
Does anyone have any experience of this?
I was worried about the same with my dd1 - in the end I went into labour before planned cs date anyway, but that is another rather dramatic story! They told me unlikely to cancel the cs as the baby was obviously so unstable - or some such word - it might then turn again. So I think you'll be ok. good luck
I think once's it's booked, it's your choice whether to go ahead or not, so even if the baby turns again they'll let you have the CS if you want it.
sorry to sidetrack but can i ask why you don't want an ecv? i may be looking at one but would like to know the reasons against. cheers. (and hope the baby turns...)
I was in this situation with dd. They even scanned me just before I went in for my CS to check she was still breech. I remember thinking, 'What if she's not?', but she was.
I was unable to have an ECV because of the position that dd had gotten herself into.
I had dd at 38 weeks, never even experienced a twinge or a Braxton Hicks. And then had a veru positive CS experience.
I have heard of C Sections being cancelled in this situation, as if the baby is head down then the reason for the section is gone.
when DS was breech, consultant said that if we booked the CS and he turned before then, we could cancel it, but that if we wanted to go ahead anyway we could do that as well.
I wanted a VB, so was hoping he'd turn, but in the end had a successful ECV, and then an em CS anyway!
Many thanks for all your responses. Obviously with this being my first pregnancy, it's difficult to know what's normal and what's not. I too have not had any braxton hicks and baby still very mobile in my opinion. It feels like a fight going on in there sometimes. With the polyhydramnios drama and all the additional scans I've had, I feel like I just want a quick and positive end to a pregnancy which has caused me a lot of stress!
Aitch, regarding the ECV, I decided against it for a number of reasons. Firstly I wasn't convinced the baby would stay put anyway as it's so all over the place. Secondly, I didn't like the thought of the procedure itself, I'd read a few negative experiences on here. What really made my mind up was the literature I'd read at my hospital and the chat I had with the consultant. A study had been done on ECV success rate at my hospital and for first time mothers, this was only 32%. The consultant was very mixed about doing the procedure and said in so many words that he was not very experienced in it and it had gone in and out of fashion.
really? they seem to be assuming that it will be done as a matter of course at my hospital (if i get as far as 37 weeks). any clever questions i should be asking? good luck, by the way.
oh, and i never had a single BH with dd, who came out fine and dandy in a labour i would describe as 'nippy, but enjoyable'.
I think ECVs are far more successful with second babies as there's more room in the uterus. I'd definitely ask to see their success rates and any studies done at your particular hospital. I think the polyhydramnios I have is why the baby is breech and mobile still. I can feel a lot of downward pressure on my pelvis and bits today as if something is moving down. Am unsure if it's a head or a bottom though. The scan showed the baby was in a footling breech position so could even be its foot!
Hope all goes well Aitch
yes good luck Aitch - fwiw, I had a completely painless and successful ECV, over in seconds flat, no drugs required, DS' heartbeat never even wavered although he kicked like a mule for a bit afterwards!
You can always go for it and shout STOP when you want to - you're not a shy lady, I imagine, so won't feel you have to put up with it if it feels wrong!
And now I've met him, I can totally see that he wasn't going to turn over unless someone shoved him - he's still like that.....
lol, thanks for the good wishes. i hope that this one is similarly relaxed, i could do with an easy ride of it. (lazy of me, i know, but dd was a bit of a dream baby and the thought of fate wreaking revenge is a worry).
i think i'm going to try the swimming pool thing... have asked dh to command the baby to move and he phsl. apparently he feels that if the child is genetically half-mine it would be more likely to dig in.
nixpix how many children do you hope to have? Having an elCS affects future births.
Have you looked into Mobibustion, reflexology, accupuncture, homeopathy and other alternative methods to turn baby? They can be very effective, I believe
Then there's the lying upside down on an ironing board propped up against your sofa, or the frozen peas at the top of your bump etc....
Or finding out if there are any mw confident in attending a breech birth.
But then there's your polyhydramnios to consider... Have you been told what to do if your waters break ahead of contractions?
Hi Klaw, this will be my only birth child. I am a lesbian and my partner gave birth to our first son with a known donor. It took me 22 cycles of AI anguish to conceive this baby and I won't be doing it again. I've done moxibustion and homeopathy to try to turn the baby. I haven't tried the peas or ironing board. The baby is quite large according to all the growth scans and I was told a vaginal birth if it is still breech would be inadvisable.
I've been told to get down on all fours with my head down if my waters break in case of cord prolapse.
I was very positive and excited about experiencing giving birth as it would be a once in a lifetime amazing event in my life. But to be honest now, I just want the pregnancy to end and know the baby is ok.
22 cycles? <applauds nixy's perseverance>
i can understand that you just want it over with and to meet your baby.
btw, is the head down if waters break advice for all breechers? good to know if so, as my waters broke at 38 weeks last time.
I was the same as pinkjenny, they scanned me in theatre just before cs and it suddenly occured to me "what if he's turned and they make me have a vag birth?" I was totally unprepared for it as ds was always breech, never turned despite ecv (which was horrible btw, I begged them to stop) IIRC they'd already given me the spinal by the time they scanned me so I don't think they'd have made me wait for the spinal to wear off and go home I think once you're booked in you're booked in.
I don't know if hospitals are all different, but my pre op checks the day before my cs were just some more bloods, a urine dip, bp and signing some forms and reading a bit more info about the cs. No scan, so you might not even get scanned until you're in theatre.
IN WHAT WAY WAS THE ECV HORRIBLE??!!
Oh sorry, didn't want to scare you. Are you having ecv soon? Ds was always breech from 30 weeks I could feel his head tucked right under my ribs, and his head was huge, 98th centile, still is massive. Anyway, moving that giant head from under my ribs was like someone tearing my body apart, I felt like I was in Alien and something was going to burst out of my chest. My lungs felt like they were going to explode as the pressure of them trying to turn him pressed against it. I'm sure it's different for everyone, and it was bad for me because of the specifics of the way ds was lying.
argh. can feel dd's head constantly under my right rib. feels like it's jammed in there.
Oh I really hope that baby turns and you have a positive VB experience but there are also ways to ensure the best CS experience, can you ask your HCPs if they can do a 'natural' caesarean?
There are loads of links to turning breech babies but it may be that being breech is what's natural for you and this baby and it might never turn. Particularly with polyhydramnios as there's so much extra fluid to float about in
Please explore Spinning Babies Breech info here as you might find more info about turning baby there.
Have you thought about trying Pulsatilla? (homeopathic remedy reputed to be very successful). You could try asking a homeopath for advice?
Bum in air is best if waters break, to prevent cord slipping out ahead of baby and then getting crushed cutting off blood supply.
I wish you well with your birth
Oh sorry to scare you Aitch. Didn't mean to!
I'm a total wimp so perhaps that didn't help, I think it helps to be psychologically ready for it and I think a large part of me was relieved when they'd said I'd have to have cs if we couldn't turn him, so I was so tense having it done, my abdomial muscles (what was left of them ) were as tight as a drum.
Hasten to add, bum in air thing is in the situation of polyhydramnios in case cord is washed down ahead of baby. It should not be necessary in other cases. But if anyone feels something hanging below after their waters break (cord, foot) they should get someone to contact HCPS for advice while they adopt the bum in air position
I had an ECV at about 37 weeks. I was not loking forward to it but I wanted to try anything that would make it more likely I could give birth vaginally. It wasn't to be. The doctors tried 3 times to turn him and in the end I told them to stop. It hurts quite a bit and I was freaked out by how hard they were pushing down on his head. Fwiw, DS was my second baby. My first was not breech and was delivered vaginally.
I think that ECV is also more effective with babies who are not in the flex breech position (which DS was)
In the end I was booked in for an elective and apart from the post natal care which was patchy, I had the most incredible experience and healed a lot quicker than after my natural birth.
This won't apply to you nixpix but if you, Aitch, are booked in for an elective it's best not to have your partner ejaculate inside you as theoretically......well, you know all that.
Good luck, nixpix and Aitch. Whatever happens. NOt long to go now.
Join the discussion
Please login first.