Talk

Advanced search

What are the chances of another breech?

(13 Posts)
spottyshoes Thu 21-Aug-08 11:43:10

DS was breech and was delivered via CS, I have just had a booking in appt with the MW for #2. The MW assumed I would have a CS and when I stated I would be trying for a VBAC she said that I probably wouldnt get it as it would be highly likely that this one would be breech too as DS had been shock

I hadn't heard of statistics to this effect - Can anyone enlighten me please?
TIA

LittleMyDancingForJoy Thu 21-Aug-08 11:45:18

iirc, it depends why DS was breech - if it's to do with the shape of your uterus then it's highly likely that subsequent babies will be breech, but afaik there isn't any way of telling why DS was breech in the first place.

she should be encouraging you to try for a VBAC, not showering you in doom and gloom already. tsk.

my DS was breech too, and I had a CS, and am aiming for VBAC this time round too.

cthea Thu 21-Aug-08 11:45:44

I suppose it depends why the first was breech, e.g. something to do with your pelvis or too early to have turned?

cthea Thu 21-Aug-08 11:48:54

this one says it depends on the father's mode of delivery/having been delivered too. Glad to see they have their little contribution to birth as well.

spottyshoes Thu 21-Aug-08 12:07:38

Interesting cthea. Thanks for the link. Both DH and I were head down the whole time, we dont have any history of breech in either family (well the 3 gens that I know of).

LittleMyDancingForJoy I'm not 100% but dont think it was the shape of my uterus/pelvis as DS was head down and engaged before flipping head up and liking it! Just a bit hmm that she didn't ask any of this just kind of pooh poohed the idea and moved on.

Hope you get the birth you want x

cthea Thu 21-Aug-08 12:13:53

I've read meanwhile that the likelihood of another breech after a first is about 3-fold, going to 28-fold after 3 breeches. So not unreasonable of the MW to give you info. How she gave it and what assumptions she made after that is another matter. Congratulations and good luck, you've still got ages to go, don't let it hang over you.

cthea Thu 21-Aug-08 12:15:48

NCT's Pregnancy & Birth Line 0870 444 8709 will have up-to-date, reliable info.

spottyshoes Thu 21-Aug-08 12:19:45

Thankyou smile

vbacqueen1 Thu 21-Aug-08 12:30:49

Hi spottyshoes

My third baby was breech all the way through, but as I'd already had 2 previous caesareans it was always a given that I'd be having another CS anyway.

However my 4th baby was also breech from quite early on but I had decided before I got pregnant that a VBAC would be less risky than a 4th CS. I wouldn't have been mad brave enough to VBAC a breech so I tried all kinds of things to get her turn. I managed at 37 weeks with the help of moxabustion and acupuncture.

Some women do tend to naturally carry babies breech but something in your favour is that you'll have more room in your uterus now as it's already been stretched - if this baby is breech you have a great chance of turning it before it becomes an issue.

It is your RIGHT to give birth in whichever way you choose and you may want to remind your MW of that fact wink Any woman choosing VBAC has statistically the same chance of success as any first time mum of achieving a vaginal birth, which is around 75%.

cthea Thu 21-Aug-08 12:35:57

Is that right? I though it depended on the reason for the first CS. It would never have been an issue otherwise.

vbacqueen1 Thu 21-Aug-08 17:34:11

There are actually very few major reasons why a caesarean is necessary, estimated at less than 5% of all births. But for various reasons, CS has now become a "normal" procedure. I'm not some mad woman who believes that no one should ever have a CS, but I do believe that most sections are probably not necessary and until you start looking into the long term effects of them, it is easy to think of them as the "easy" option.
If you talk to women who've had a CS, the main reason for it is usually failure to progress or foetal distress. What ISN'T apparent is that foetal distress is a lot more common when labour has been induced, usually because women are just "overdue" (ie. a small way past 40 weeks) (I can see myself going off on one in a minute so I'll stop myself now LOL)

cthea Thu 21-Aug-08 18:06:50

Go off on one by all means, just don't get arsey with me for asking. I didn't say it was an "easy" option either. I merely questioned your statement and your answer didn't convince me that "Any woman choosing VBAC has statistically the same chance of success as any first time mum of achieving a vaginal birth, which is around 75%".

vbacqueen1 Sun 24-Aug-08 13:25:29

Sorry, didn't realise I'd come across as arsey, not my intention.
When I say any woman, I suppose that is a generalisation. But let's face it, if you had something like a major uterine rupture resulting in an emergency CS during your first birth, it would be highly unlikely that you'd choose a VBAC next time round. The key word is choose I guess. Off the top of my head I can't think of another situation which would make me think twice about having a VBAC (although I'm sure someone will have a multitude of scenarios for me ) And as far as the breech issue goes, I do genuinely understand why women choose to have an elective CS instead of a vaginal birth, I had one myself.
If you're choosing to have a VBAC because your first CS was for something like failure to progress, cord prolapse, or foetal distress, then yes, statistically you do have the same chance of not having a repeat CS as any first time mum. This averages out at about 3 out of 4 women.
this page will tell you more.
Hope that helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now