Talk

Advanced search

Can sticking your bum in the air make labour less painful?

(31 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Tue 19-Aug-08 19:28:46

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 19-Aug-08 20:27:30

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 19-Aug-08 20:28:11

Message withdrawn

Evelynsmum Tue 19-Aug-08 20:29:50

I think it is recommended to slow down a quick intensive labour...not sure about making it less painful though I think you would still need pain relief.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 19-Aug-08 20:29:51

I think that (ime anyway)lots of women try and do what instinctively makes labour more bearable.

In my case I had to keep moving, marching up and down. My midwife was lovely and apologised that the room didn't lend much scope for a good march round!

I have no idea if sticking your bum in the air would shift the baby - if baby is term (afaik) it generally doesn't have a lot of room to wriggle round. My breech baby was "turned" at 37 weeks and I was advised that once it had stayed turned, she didn't have much room to turn back "upside down"

Celery Tue 19-Aug-08 20:30:48

It definately helped immensely during my first labour. It was the only comfortable position I could be in. That was a back to back labour. I don't think it can encourage a potentially difficult position, but if the baby is in a difficult position anyway, it can help! Why are you asking?

onepieceoflollipop Tue 19-Aug-08 20:30:51

p.s I stopped marching to get drunk on the gas and air as the labour progressed! This was with dd2.

With dd1 I ended up with an epidural.

youarefabulous Tue 19-Aug-08 20:31:26

It can definately help to slow down labour when it's going a bit too fast but not really take away any pain.

S1ur Tue 19-Aug-08 20:32:45

I think it can also help to take the pressure off your back if you're having a very achy back labour.

And yes I've heard that it can slow down intense labour too.

I'd be interested to know from some mw/doula type here since my information is made up sketchy at best.

OrmIrian Tue 19-Aug-08 20:37:06

Makes it less painful for a while because it slows it down. But nothing is going to alter the fact that he baby has to obey the laws of gravity eventually. I found it useful for labour no 3 because I was labouring alone at night and was so tired. I even managed to sleep with my ar*e in the air for a brief time.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 19-Aug-08 20:39:10

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 19-Aug-08 20:41:36

Message withdrawn

mankymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 20:42:01

ahem.. never admitted this on MN before but... this was the position i was in (leaning over bed, bare arse in the air) when i had DS.

unfortunately i didnt realise at the time that my rear was facing a massive window and at the time the window cleaners were in!

my friend who was with me at the time dined out for a month on the stories of the faces of the poor window cleaners! bet they never went on to be parents!

OrmIrian Tue 19-Aug-08 20:47:59

I didn't really care if it was acceptable. I just couldn't take any more and I needed to sleep. I was in hospital as it happens. In the ward. I had been taken under threat of induction because my waters had broken 24 hrs before but I wasn't in 'established labour' hmm. And once I'd managed to walk about and get things going I didn't want to go to a delivery suite until I was ready. And I wanted so sleep <wail>

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 19-Aug-08 20:50:56

Message withdrawn

Mummyfor3 Tue 19-Aug-08 20:53:24

LOLOLOLOLOL, mankymummy!! Sorry, Starlight, I digress grin.

I found bum in the air VERY painful, equally on all 4s. I agree with other posters you will decide when the time comes what you are going to be not in agony most comfortable with wink.

Good luck.

(I had brilliant drugfree VBAC with DS3 so it can happen..)

OrmIrian Tue 19-Aug-08 20:54:05

Ah I see.

Don't know I'm afraid. Sorry. It certainly eased things for me.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 19-Aug-08 20:54:16

Keep moving as much as you can. That worked for me.

mankymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 21:32:35

yep... agree 100%... keep moving...

until the window cleaners turn up! wink

S1ur Tue 19-Aug-08 21:38:20

Do you do yoga? Some of the pg moves/ positions in that can really ease some kinds of pain.

Also active birth stuff worth a look.

Anglepoise Tue 19-Aug-08 21:49:28

I think that this is known as the polar bear position in hypnobirthing (and probably elsewhere) - our course leader recommended it in labour particularly to help a back to back baby turn around

slinkiemalinki Wed 20-Aug-08 10:21:23

I don't think it's a danger for shifting the baby unfavourably - I gave birth in this position and is good to slow down a quick descent. I only pushed for 10m so it was a good choice for me, no perineal tear (MW suggested it when my legs wouldn't hold when I wanted to stand up - they kept buckling!)

MrsTittleMouse Wed 20-Aug-08 10:32:16

Slowing down a quick labour would help a lot with allowing everything to stretch properly, wouldn't it? I thought that was why you would use that position. It would take the pressure off your spine too, if the baby was OP and gave you backache, but I don't suppose that it would help with very fast painful contractions.

<slight hijack> - how are you doing Starlight? I have spoken to the manager of the local MLU/birthing centre, and I think that I'm leaning towards trying another VB and away from an elective CS. It's still pretty scary though. DH is now fully "on board" with what I want in probably a million different situations. I wish that he came on MN too, as we hadn't realised how little he knew (despite coming to all the antenatal classes).
Did you decide on the birthing centre in the end? Or did you get the go-ahead for a HB?

mears Wed 20-Aug-08 10:38:59

Leaning over with your bum in the air is very good for helping to control the urge to push prematurely. Being on the floor with a bean bag would be good so that you could regularly move around so your knees don't get sore.

The birthing pool can be useful too in slowing intense contractions I have found.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 20-Aug-08 14:03:17

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now