Talk

Advanced search

postnatal itching

(5 Posts)
lightbeam1 Tue 19-Aug-08 11:45:20

Embarrassing problem (almsot worse than giving birth infact) ever since having my baby have had awful itching around bottom area. Its not piles or a fissure and I've had loads of swabs taken and lots of other tests (doctor taking it seriously as its been really debilitating, cant walk very far without pain, making me severely depressed) and it never seems to go away. Has anyone else had this? Feel like I'm the only one as no-one else mentions this sort of thing in the childbirth section or general health section on mumsnet.

misi Tue 19-Aug-08 23:25:12

could be candida, common in post natal conditions especially if anti biotics were necessary for any reason but a common side effect of the bodies suppression of the immune system during pregnancy, ask if they can do a candida anti body blood test or a poo stool sample test to see what the candida levels in your gut are like but an itchy arse anus is often something to do with candida or other digestive problem (like the usually alkaline conditions in your lower intestines becoming more acidic or far to alkaline) but candida is what I would plump for first

lightbeam1 Wed 20-Aug-08 08:19:41

Thanks misi, thats really helpful, will give the candida angle a go.

belgo Wed 20-Aug-08 08:21:46

yes it could be thrush, I had awful thrush straight after giving birth after having antibiotics during the labour.

lightbeam1 Wed 20-Aug-08 08:24:38

Did have lots of infections due to stitches from giving birth and PID so was on course of antibiotics for a long time. Never thought about the connection with antibiotics. Just had a quick look on the net and apparently the pill can aggravate candida/thrush. Maybe time for me to think about changing contraception as well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now