Talk

Advanced search

Can I INSIST on Birthing Pool?

(15 Posts)
RIBS Fri 15-Aug-08 13:05:33

I have a mild type of epilepsy, triggered only by alcohol, so not an issue at mo and not on any drugs since about 10 wks. The consultant has classed me as low dependency but told me I CANNOT have birthing pool or pethadine, due to the epilepsy. I really cant see it being a problem and really wanted water birth.
This is my 1st and I feel a bit clueless really. It doesnt help that ive opted out of using the hospital in my area (as its a pit and rife with MRSA) and im having to go to a hospital in another county. So communication between my miwife(s) and the hospital and their proceedures are crap.
Can I just turn upto the hospital and demand that I use the birthing pool?

Sorry for long waffle and bit of rant!!

EffiePerine Fri 15-Aug-08 13:09:14

I'm not sure you can demand that - your mw could refuse to look after you in labour if she wasn;t happy with the situation I assume. I know some mws are not happy with you giving birth in the pool (v labouring) so they do have some say in the matter.

It's not as if they are not involved in the matter, they would have to run the pool, help you in etc. and I can see they;d be v uncomfortable with that if you'd specfically been advised against it.

In your ownhome would be a different matter of course.

EffiePerine Fri 15-Aug-08 13:10:11

sorry lots of matters there!

I think they would be on v shaky ground legally

and you do want your mws involved and supportive in your birth, not antagonistic

Elmosgirl Fri 15-Aug-08 13:14:26

If you are going to hospital they will probably have limited number of pools anyway so you won't be able to use it if someone else in there.

It might be better having a home birth if you definitely want the pool as could very easily not be available for you in hospital.

LiegeAndLief Fri 15-Aug-08 13:15:29

I don't think you can demand to use the birthing pool anyway, as most hospitals have a limited number and someone else might be using it, so you have to time your labour well wink! But you can certainly argue against the consultant's decision, I'm sure there will be better people than me to give you advce on that.

Like EffiePerine said, if you really want to be in control of the birthing pool, you could consider a home birth - unless the epilepsy woudl preclude that?

RIBS Fri 15-Aug-08 13:21:23

Ive been advised against it, but tbh dont really fancy the idea of homebirth, as if any probs they'll send me to the local MRSA hell hospital!!
Do you think I can just stay in the bath in the delivery suite instead, its quite big? Will that work?

LiegeAndLief Fri 15-Aug-08 13:34:44

You definitely cannot deliever in a bath full of water as it isn't deep enough - however I have a friend who was physically unable to get out of the bath when the mw realised she was about to give birth so they took the water out for her to deliver. So technically yes... she was in a mwl birth centre though, not sure if you can just sit in the bath for hours in a hospital.

LiegeAndLief Fri 15-Aug-08 13:35:45

Disclaimer - haven't laboured in hospital - have no idea really, guess I shouldn't be trying to answer!

OrmIrian Fri 15-Aug-08 13:37:24

IME there probably won't be one available anyway. There was only one at the hospital I went too and it's in a normal delivery room so if the room is in use when you get there it's just tough unfortunately.

hanaflower Fri 15-Aug-08 13:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mears Fri 15-Aug-08 13:44:59

You can insist but it would be wise to ensure you could be got out of the pool should you have a seizure - that is the issue.

Also if you are not on medication then I am not sure why you cannot use the pool.

If your epilepsy is alcohol related, why did you need to be on drugs before pregnancy?

BTW - a midwife MUST provide care even if the mother insists on a course of action that is not advisable - the woman takes on the risk.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 15-Aug-08 13:49:09

You have no chance, I'm afraid!
Not due to your condition, but due to availability- no-one can insist on it.
At our trust, there is one pool, and 25-30 women giving birth at a time. It is purely first-come, first-served.
Sorry sad

EachPeachPearMum Fri 15-Aug-08 13:50:29

Of course, with a home birth, you could hire/buy a pool.

JFly Fri 15-Aug-08 13:52:37

Don't forget there are other reasons you may not be able to labour/deliver in the pool. I was quite determined to get in the pool and I never did! sad

They were concerned that baby's head wasn't far enough engaged even though I was about 5-6cm dilated. My waters hadn't broken which meant there was a risk of cord prolapse. They wouldn't let me in the pool b/c they didn't want waters to break underwater and not be able to manage the prolapse (possibility of them not seeing the waters break, IYSWIM).

Any who, they broke my waters so I had better chance of getting in the pool, BUT baby's heartrate was irractic and they also discovered placental abruption. SO, no pool, no earthy labour/deliver and straight to theatre with an emerg section.

Not to scare you, as everything turned out fine, but just to say there are other criteria for getting in the pool and it may be down to how you progress in your labour.

mears Fri 15-Aug-08 14:42:22

I should have been clearer. You can insist that you want to use the pool for labour and birth, but as has been pointed out it may actually not be available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now