Talk

Advanced search

Period type pain - is this the start?

(4 Posts)
watching Fri 15-Aug-08 08:51:43

Last night till 3am I had this period type pain which was pretty bad. I'm 37 weeks and this morning I feel fine! I didn't ring the hospital but don't konw if this is the start of labour. I haven't had show or anything, so don't know what's going on. Just wondering if I should ring hospital for reassurance but as feel fine now, don't know if I am wasting time? LO was very active last night with lots of BH and this morning nothing....

thanks

Fanlight Fri 15-Aug-08 08:55:56

It could just be the little head settling down into the right place iyswim. Keep an eye but I wouldn't ring anyone just yet - they will just say wait and see!

If you start to lose anything (water etc) then do ring them, or if you start having regular pains - otherwise I'd probably say you'll be Ok for a while smile

ajm200 Fri 15-Aug-08 09:12:39

As Fanlight says it is probably just the baby moving down and its head engaging.

When you do go into labour, you'll probably feel something similar but it will come and go. It may feel like period or upset tummy cramps or may just be an ache in the small of your back. When it happens for real you'll know

You don't need to contact anyone until the pains come and go regularly at about 5 mins apart and each pain lasts about 1 min. Don't be in a rush to get to the hospital, especially if it is your 1st. You'll be more comfy and get more rest at home than on a antenatal ward with lots of other mums, some of whom will be very vocal.

They won't move you to L&D until your labour is really established.

EffiePerine Fri 15-Aug-08 09:43:50

Have you had a show?

it might well just be movement, but all good signs of things going in the right direction

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now