Talk

Advanced search

Is thinking I might have an early labour just wishful thinking?

(15 Posts)
Anglepoise Thu 14-Aug-08 00:52:48

I know no one can tell me either way and I don't usually set a great deal of store by gut feelings, but I really feel as though I'm going to have an early labour. DH thinks I'm insane and it's just wishful thinking, but chatting to maternal aunties suggests that this seems to be something of a theme in our family, at least on my mum's side. Does everyone think they're going to have an early birth with DC1 and then sit around for weeks overdue or could I be getting some inkling of a maternal instinct? grin

ConstanceWearing Thu 14-Aug-08 01:46:59

Um, to be honest, I think most mums think their baby will be early - and it is wishful thinking. The last month is soooooooo slow, isn't it?

But that doesn't mean to say you aren't right. You may go early, if you're lucky

Anglepoise Thu 14-Aug-08 03:45:35

Hee hee - thought as much. Though tbh it isn't really that the last month is dragging - I'm still pretty comfortable (far more than in the first two trimesters!) and could do with it hanging on for a bit, for a variety of reasons (finding somewhere to live, for example hmm).

babyOcho Thu 14-Aug-08 04:03:10

I was convinced that DD was going to be late. She was pretty much on time.

I remember emailing my sister asking if she wanted to meet up on my due date because I was sure that I would be hanging around at home.

ephrinedaily Thu 14-Aug-08 11:17:50

I thought DS was going to be early. He was - too early at 35 weeks. It was a very bad thing. I have heard that even 37 weekers can be a bit more fractious / difficult to feed / need to feed more often because they are that bit smaller. So please don't wish for an early baby, wishing that baby is on time will be something I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for next time!

funnypeculiar Thu 14-Aug-08 11:21:11

I was convinced ds would be late (first babies generally are). He was 4 weeks early. I hadn't packed my bag, or got a moses basket grin

I therefore expected dd to be early too ... she was 2 days late (although i did get very strong BH at EXACTLY 4 weeks before my due date - pyschological I'm sure)

georgiemum Thu 14-Aug-08 15:39:33

I was adament that he'd be late too. Turns out he came 3 days before I was due to go on maternity leave... That was a great call my husband had to make to my boss - "she'll be about 6 months late for her meeting with you this morning". And I had so much planned for my first week off!

You just can't tell. Generally only 5% of babies arrive on due date. I guess they just can't read calendars! smile

JiminyCricket Thu 14-Aug-08 16:04:50

Mine both came two weeks late - but both with dd1 3days and dd2 5 days of 'pre-labour' - I was having braxton hix type contractions (i.e.nnot painful) EVERY 5 MINUTES try sleeping with that going on and then 2 days of d&v with dd2 as well - I have never felt so sick in my life, luckily it went away for a couple of days before she was actually born or I wouldn't have had the energy to deliver. I don't think this happens to too many people though! But just be prepared for a longer waiting game than you might imagine once things kick off, just in case..Actually I think relaxation might have helped...when I did a visualisation kind of thing and imagined dd2 being safely born, thats when my contractions finally started getting stronger and I went into labour, so maybe I was anxious without really realising it and it kind of held things up.

PInkyminkyohnooo Thu 14-Aug-08 16:08:33

I was convinced my first would be early, it was such a big lumppy bump. My mum said yes, he'll be early and he'll swim out like a fish! He was, of course, late! grin

belgo Thu 14-Aug-08 16:10:40

Anglepoise- you are better off thinking the baby will be late.

Both of my mother's babies were premature, and she was convinced that my babies would also be early.

DD1 was born one day late, dd2 one week latesmile

Anglepoise Thu 14-Aug-08 18:47:19

Cheers for the replies

I'm certainly not wishing a very early birth on myself (as well as the welfare of my baby and the nowhere-to-live issue, I'm also currently not booked into a hospital, and 36 weeks on Monday) and am very pleased that I haven't reached the get-it-out-of-me-NOW! stage yet grin Tbh I'm trying to do as the French do and not consider myself full-term until 42 weeks.

Really I guess I just wondered whether going overdue was one of those things that no one ever imagines themselves doing ...

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 14-Aug-08 18:56:56

Message withdrawn

Anglepoise Thu 14-Aug-08 19:02:06

Ooh, I don't know! Mine were bang on 28 days when I got PG though, so that makes me think that my EDD is probably quite accurate (that and it's a full moon!).

GreenMonkies Thu 14-Aug-08 19:11:05

I knew I wouldn't go over, and got quietly irritated when people constantly told me I would because it was my first baby.

Both DD's have been born at 39+5, which borders on freaky.

It may not be wishful thinking, p'raps get your bag packed/HB kit sorted at 37 weeks just in case!

Monkies

ConstanceWearing Fri 15-Aug-08 13:33:56

Oh, yes. Always have your bags packed early. So you're prepared if it's early - but I like the suggestion of not considering yourself full-term till you're 42 weeks, too.

You've covered all the angles then, I reckon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now