Talk

Advanced search

Stretch & Sweep - Posterior Cervix. Give me something to be positive about ....

(12 Posts)
FoghornLeghorn Wed 13-Aug-08 14:53:45

Was supposed to be having S&S today (T+2) but on examination my cervix was too posterior to perform. MW said cervix was very very soft and baby's head is very engaged (didn't move when she was examining me, which she said usually ahppens) but just that tiny bit too far back to get to.

Do I have any chance of the examination itself kicking things off ? Feeling pretty deflated

FoghornLeghorn Wed 13-Aug-08 16:50:06

bump

sleeplessinseatle Wed 13-Aug-08 17:22:11

If it makes you feel any better I don't have any chance of a sweep until term + 8, and just the exam might have helped, you never know.

Maybe if your cervix is v. soft it would absorb a lot of the hormone that is in sperm,if you could convince your fella ? grin

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 13-Aug-08 17:25:30

I had a s+s at 40 weeks, cervix was too posterior to perform and ds was only 3/5 engaged. However I went into spontaneous labour 7 days later.

Hope this gives you some hope!

TheProvincialLady Wed 13-Aug-08 17:37:38

At T+2 most people would be lucky to just have a very soft cervix, especially if it is a first baby. For that reason sweeps are usually only offered in most places at at least T+7. You have nothing to worry about, labour won't be far awaysmile

FoghornLeghorn Wed 13-Aug-08 19:02:02

TPL - Its baby number 3, hence why I'm slightly disheartened.

Thanks for at least trying to make me feel better

TheProvincialLady Wed 13-Aug-08 21:13:41

Well this should make you feel better - 2 days before I had DS my cervix was hard and posterior (apparently) and not remotely dilated. There was not the slightest hope of a S&S. You are doing much better than me already. Hang on in there.

FoghornLeghorn Wed 13-Aug-08 21:20:43

See that makes me feel better TPL. Doing good

Nosnik Thu 14-Aug-08 17:08:56

My cervix was still posterior and barely reachable at 41+6 12 hours after I was induced with gel and 3 hours b4 I went in to labour!! keep on ur feet as much as possible and try and imagine ur due date is not until 42 weeks, thats what I did!!

KurryKween Thu 21-Aug-08 23:41:13

I'm T+11 and 2 different MWs tried to perform s S&S today. 1 MW couldn't reach (posterior - baby's head only 3/5), 2nd MW did reach but cervix too hard, thick & closed to perform S&S.

Anyone able to make me feel better? what chance of softening, thinning etc before i give in to induction?!

MiniMarmite Fri 22-Aug-08 09:19:36

I think they can offer you more S&Ss if that one doesn't work anyway (maybe it depends on hospital)- maybe in a couple of days time?

I'm having one tomorrow (41 weeks) and then they will do one Sunday and Monday as well if I want them to.

Mummyfor3 Fri 22-Aug-08 09:23:12

I had S+S x2 at T+5 amd T+12, went into labour 48 hrs later and had brilliant VBAC.

So, be positive. I think Nosniks tip about considering 42 weeks "term" is a really good one (that is how due dates are calculated in some other contries ie France, I think).

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now