Talk

Advanced search

sweep - when does it happen

(12 Posts)
sleeplessinseatle Wed 13-Aug-08 12:27:31

I was wondering how long past your due date you usually get a membrane sweep?

I know full induction is usually between 10-14 days, but not sure about this.

Thanks in advance

Amberc Wed 13-Aug-08 13:11:37

I got mine at 38 weeks! It differs by hospital to be honest - I remember from my ante natal thread that everyone was getting them at different times. Did you want one? How far gone are you? Have you asked your MW?

JoyS Wed 13-Aug-08 14:11:24

Ask your midwife. Mine wouldn't do it at 39 weeks but she scheduled it for the due date and said I probably wouldn't make it. She was right, had dd2 right on the date without it!

pippylongstockings Wed 13-Aug-08 14:34:59

I think it depends on the area your in. I had mine done 2 days after my due date. My MW came to my house on NYday, which I was really suprised about, and then I had my DS2 the next day.
Over all though I think it can help if your body is ready for labour but can't see that they would do it before your due date.

MrsMattie Wed 13-Aug-08 14:39:40

I had one on my due date. I don't know why they bother doing it so early. Let nature take it's course, I say, unless you are already fairly overdue. I wouldn't bother with it so early on again.

FoghornLeghorn Wed 13-Aug-08 14:41:24

I asked for one last week at 39+3 and midwife said no, had one today at 40+2.
It varies in different areas though

sleeplessinseatle Wed 13-Aug-08 17:17:22

Thanks.

My next appointment is when I am 41 +1, if I havent given birth yet.

Hopefully they will give me one then, its just it doesnt seem that will leave long, as my hospital induces at 41 +3

Am just at that point where I will feel a lot better once I have held my baby and know it is ok

MrsBates Wed 13-Aug-08 17:22:53

Had one with every baby think at 40 + 3 or 4 days. With the last one I went into labour two hours later and had the baby was here 6 and a half hours later. But that was a third one. First took much longer. But glad I had them - didn't fancy being induced and have been very lucky. My hospital said if the first sweep didn't work I could come back 48 hours later for another one, but in every case have gone into labour within that time.

Good luck. ANd remember for all the horror stories there are a lot of births that go very well and not traumatic at all.

sleeplessinseatle Wed 13-Aug-08 21:32:15

I think I might call up and ask if I can have one earlier than 41+1.
Have just read on the nice guidelines www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG62FullGuidelineCorrectedJune2008.pdf
that they recommend a sweep at 40 and again at 41 if its your first baby.

I'm just worried they will think I am being demanding, but the guidelines must suggest the one at 40 weeks for a reason.

Amberc Thu 14-Aug-08 16:00:56

I'm sure they'll let you have one earlier - 41+1 seems a bit late if they are going to induce you at 41+3 - it's in their interests not to induce as it costs more.

FrannyandZooey Thu 14-Aug-08 16:03:29

hold on if you can - a sweep is an intervention and like all interventions can bring labour on more strongly and more painfully than a spontaneous start to labour, IMO

possibly there is a reason why your baby is not ready to be born yet - don't be in too much of a rush if it is practical to wait a bit

KnockOffNorbert Thu 14-Aug-08 16:06:25

Last time I had one at 40 + 7 (41!) and induced at 40 + 9. Am 40 + 6 today and trying to chase it all up! MW said a few weeks ago it should be tomorrow (40 + 7)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now