Talk

Advanced search

Private C-Section - Lindo, C&W, Lansdell or other London or SE option?!

(103 Posts)
obedie Mon 11-Aug-08 13:28:05

Hi. Am researching private wings/wards in London and SE for my third c-section in March. Getting confused!! Any top tips on which unit to choose.... just want a competent, clean, restful and safe experience this time. Lindo seems to be doing well as far as info goes..... can anyone vouch for any specifically.... or other options have not considered? Thanks in advance!

Niceychops Mon 11-Aug-08 14:23:27

Queen Charlottes!

heron22 Tue 12-Aug-08 13:28:17

hi, i had elective section at portland with DS and received very good service from all. i am going there to deliver my 2nd child - another section.

the food is great and the staff are very kind and attentive. good luck in your choice!

gladders Tue 12-Aug-08 14:23:07

Lansdell was excellent - liked the idea there was emergency back up on site (unlike at portland).

post natally, room was ideal - spacious, clean, new furniture and equipment. whenever i needed anything it came. midwives were so helpful - dd had a much calmer first few days in this world than ds!

heron22 Tue 12-Aug-08 14:30:52

hi gladders, where is landsdell?

slinkiemalinki Tue 12-Aug-08 14:50:49

St Thomas's private wing

heron22 Tue 12-Aug-08 14:55:02

ok will check them out!
thanks

hi slinkie, how is your pregnancy going? i am 16 weeks now

twinkle3869 Tue 12-Aug-08 15:07:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gladders Tue 12-Aug-08 17:08:41

hi twinkle - must have been misinformed then - had been told by neighbour (who went to portland) that if there had been an emergency (ie problem with delivery/baby) that they would have both been transferred to nearest nhs hospital?

youcannotbeserious Tue 12-Aug-08 17:13:00

I had my ante natal care at Lansdell and found them great.

I transferred to The Portland for the actual delivery, as my DS decided to make a sooner-than-planned entrance to the world and I wanted a C-section on a saturday...

The Portland was WONDERFUL. Please don't believe the hype about not having back up. They are great. I couldn't have asked for a better birth experience. Would def. go back to the Portland (So much so, still taking DS back to the Paed there, cos he's Sooooooo lovely!)

GOod luck!

LadyThompson Tue 12-Aug-08 17:29:34

Having a private section at the Lindo. Haven't had it yet but finding ante natal care excellent.

I have heard many good reports about the Portland, though it will be slightly dearer than the Lansdell or the Lindo - however, it's absolutely true that in the event of an emergency you would probably be transferred to St Mary's. Same for John and Lizzie's (they are more into 'natural' births there, incidentally, so I doubt you could have an elective section there anyhoo). So, if it's your first baby...you might want to think about back up. I suggest you go and have a look at all three as well. The Lindo isn't terribly glamorous, if that's what you're after...

spottedandstriped Tue 12-Aug-08 17:33:48

Just to add to the debate, I had an emergency c section at John and Lizzies and the care was absolutely excellent

twinkle3869 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:13:49

youcannotbeserious Tue 12-Aug-08 18:18:58

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here...

I think the negative press The Portland gets on here is because of the anti C-section feeling on here.

I agree totally with Twinkle. The facilities at The Portland are second to none, and the Paed facilities are good too...

I couldn't fault one bit of the care I received. They were great. FWIW, the consultant who did my C-section would have done it at Lansdell, it was just a question of space on the Saturday I wanted....

LadyThompson Tue 12-Aug-08 18:24:38

I said I had heard it was good. I'm not going there but I am not dissing it either. But the negative press on Mumsnet in general...I think that's a different story, and multi-factorial. I have nothing against it, personally, just preferred to choose the Lindo.

youcannotbeserious Tue 12-Aug-08 18:31:27

LT- I personally chose the Lansdell, but various overtook and I ended up at The Portland...

I would go there again in a heartbeat and still take DS to the Paed there

I suppose I'm a convert..

twinkle3869 Tue 12-Aug-08 18:57:11

SalLikesCoffee Tue 12-Aug-08 19:07:12

I had a c-section at the Portland and it was great. Everyone was kind, paeds available immediately (and stayed with him most of the time for 3 hours when there was a chance that he might have to go to (Portland's own) intensive care. Not that it's important, but just as a "nice" touch - the food was brilliant. For some reason I was starving... blush

If I need to have a cs again, I'll definitely return.

youcannotbeserious Tue 12-Aug-08 19:12:43

oooh yes.food excellent grin

twinkle3869 Tue 12-Aug-08 19:15:58

surreylady Tue 12-Aug-08 19:20:18

another Portland Vote - planned Midwife Led - became C section - great experience

madcol Tue 12-Aug-08 19:21:51

How much does a C-S at Portland cost?

youcannotbeserious Tue 12-Aug-08 19:26:15

Overall, probably just shy of £10K

less if your AN care is NHS and depends on your delivery....

twinkle3869 Tue 12-Aug-08 19:48:25

madcol Tue 12-Aug-08 19:55:59

Wow that's a lot of money. What do you think the advantages are?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now