Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Recovering from c section and looking after todler

(12 Posts)
Franniban Sun 13-Feb-05 17:17:00

Hello there, my first labour was very long and I ended up having an emergency forceps delivery as there was no time for a c section. I'm worried that if I end up having a c section this time, how to cope with a new born and a 19 month old todler, espcially if you can't pick them up, any tips?

pupuce Sun 13-Feb-05 17:24:40

Why would you have a section this time ? You've had 1 baby make it through the birth canal... why wouldn't you do it again without forceps.
You would not be able to carry toddler for a while, you would stay in hospital (usually 3 to 5 days).

I have not had sections myself but a lot of my postnatal clients do (I am a doula) and that's probably because they kow they're having a section that they book a postnatal doula.

Uwila Sun 13-Feb-05 18:30:59

Franniban,
I think it's wise to educate your self on all the possible outcomes. Agree with Pupuce that it sounds as though you will be okay on delivering number 2 vaginally since you've already pushed one through. But, to answer your question, I think picking up a toddler will be a bit painful for a week or two (and should be avoided if at all possible). But, if you have someone else around (DH? Sister? friends?) to do the picking up I think it would probably not be too bad.

Franniban Sun 13-Feb-05 18:49:02

Thanks, yes I see where you're coming from, I hope that it goes smoothly this time

highlander Sun 13-Feb-05 21:24:42

I picked up a toddler (9mo) 10 days after an elective CS and didn't notice any extra pain

eidsvold Sun 13-Feb-05 21:26:04

I had this issue although my toddler was 27 months old and not walking. I just moved everything to the loungeroom - ie nappy changing etc and did that there. She had her naps on the loungeroom floor rather than her bed. I recovered quite well after this caesar ( my 2nd) and was lifting her up onto bed etc around three weeks after surgery. Did not go flinging her around or carrying her any distance. I just got her to crawl to her room and then put her on the bed - she had learnt how to get off her bed.

I also considered organising a mothers help who would do that sort of thing and some housework etc for me during the day whilst dh was at work. It didn't work out but we survived in the end.

You really should not consider picking up your toddler to allow your stomach to heal properly.

KBear Sun 13-Feb-05 21:31:03

I agree with eidsvold - come down to your toddler's level rather than picking her up (for cuddles and comfort I mean) and put her on a mat on the floor to eat instead of lifting her into the high chair - it's only for a few weeks and you will soon realise if you have done too much lifting.

Best of luck for a normal delivery though!

nightowl Mon 14-Feb-05 00:45:45

if you have to have a section, please dont pick up toddler (anything heavy in fact) even if you feel fine..i really hurt myself trying to do too much! you wont realise until the damage is done.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 14-Feb-05 07:14:08

I agree with nightowl - I picked up DS1 (3, but not a big 3-year-old) a bit, at about four weeks after a very good section, and it set me back a bit. If you can avoid picking up your bigger child for as long as possible (6 weeks?) it will only help you heal.

And, as everyone says, I hope all this is unnecessary - a friend had a nightmare first labour, and her second was a tidy four hours (ok, her third was an alarming 15 minutes, but still!).

Franniban Mon 14-Feb-05 21:22:00

Sounds like a case of rethinking things really, bit like child proofing the house. Will hope for the best a have a normal delivery.

Franniban Mon 14-Feb-05 21:22:01

Sounds like a case of rethinking things really, bit like child proofing the house. Will hope for the best a have a normal delivery.

hermykne Mon 14-Feb-05 21:51:37

franniban
i had a c/section and my dd was 22mths, i did not drive for 8wks, i don not lift laundry baskets, bend down to washing machine, dishwasher, or low presses for about 4 wks unless it was absolutely necessary and i healed fine, i did lift my dd when she wanted it as she did not like new baby in my arms whilst feeding, so i think if you can get someone to do allthose chores you will be able to cuddle your toddler as they will demand and need it.

the advice i got re recovery and what not to lift or do, was from the hospital.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: