Talk

Advanced search

How soon after birth can you use tampons rather than pads???

(16 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 09-Aug-08 21:47:15

Anyone??

expatinscotland Sat 09-Aug-08 21:51:55

i used pads for the after childbirth, then had a period a couple of months later and went back to my mooncup.

cannot stand pads.

AddictedToMyEarplugs Sat 09-Aug-08 21:52:43

six weeks rings a bell......for me it was as long as it felt that the damn thing wouldn't fall out.

6 weeks.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 09-Aug-08 21:54:33

I think that the advice is to use pads until the post birth bleeding stops. (over 6 weeks in my case, I was not happy!).

I didn't have a period for about 8-9 months after the birth, then used mooncup and occasionally tampons.

Not sure if a mooncup is ok after the birth. Someone like Franny would know. Tampons afaik are definitely not ok for those first few weeks. (high risk of infection)

mankyscotslass Sat 09-Aug-08 21:55:12

I was told to avoid tampons until your first period after birth. They are not to be used at all for lochia bleeding after birth, due to the risk of infection. Mine lasted six weeks shock.
You can use them ok after that for your first period though, if you are comfortable and healed up ok.

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 09-Aug-08 22:13:40

That's great - thanks everyone. Pads are appalling aren't they?!

onepieceoflollipop Sat 09-Aug-08 22:16:20

Yes they are awful especially in hot weather I think (sorry if tmi, trying to be sympathetic iykwim!)

expatinscotland Sat 09-Aug-08 22:16:30

i never used them until i had a baby.

i find them TERRIBLE. they always feel like a nappy and i also find them smelly.

yuk.

the disposable ones are atrocious for the environment, too.

mooncup works for me.

helips Mon 11-Aug-08 08:06:47

Whats a mooncup? Ive never heard of them!

FioFio Mon 11-Aug-08 08:08:00

Message withdrawn

cheerfulvicky Mon 11-Aug-08 08:10:19

www.mooncup.co.uk/

They are fab, I used to use tampons but couldn't go back to them now. Might need to buy a different size after giving birth though which is a bit shock

FrannyandZooey Mon 11-Aug-08 08:12:20

sorry no mooncup post partum until you have healed properly

(helips the mooncup is a flexible cup which collects menstrual blood - you can then empty into toilet, wash and reinsert - very clean and convenient)

if you have to use pads I find the natracare ones are less revolting - no chemicals and are soft and comfortable (organic cotton)

onepieceoflollipop Mon 11-Aug-08 09:38:56

Thanks Franny for that info, I had wondered but did suspect that the advice would be a no to Mooncup post partum as well.

helips Mon 11-Aug-08 15:24:43

Crikey, never heard of them until now but think I might get one. Are they easy to insert? What about getting them out again? Sorry to Hijack but curious!

FrannyandZooey Mon 11-Aug-08 18:34:44

there is a bit of a knack to it, but if I can get the hang of it I reckon most people can

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now