Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone go wheat/sugar free in the run up to the birth?

(15 Posts)
Aubergenie Wed 06-Aug-08 10:24:14

I've just rediscovered my copy of Gentle Birth Method, which I haven't really followed during my pregnancy. Looking at what I should be doing from now on though, it suggests avoiding wheat and sugar. I don't eat a whole lot of either so it shouldn't be too hard and it's not too long to go now either (I'm 32 weeks), but I just wondered whether anyone had tried it and whether they feel it helped them to have an easier labour.

hoff Tue 12-Aug-08 15:35:03

I'm trying that too (33 weeks with first). i had cut right down and cut both out around 3 weeks ago. its no real hardship so i thought i was worth a try!

TheProvincialLady Tue 12-Aug-08 15:35:40

What is the rationale behind it?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slinkiemalinki Tue 12-Aug-08 15:37:45

wheat and sugar make your tissues around the birth canal swell and get congested I recall - making birth harder.

witchandchips Tue 12-Aug-08 15:44:08

i'm sorry but [hmmm] and double hmm

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsbabookaloo Tue 12-Aug-08 15:47:46

I read the gentle birth method...then I laughed and tossed it in the charity bag.

No, but seriously, I actually do think a lot of that stuff is valid...it was just a bit much, and not really realistic for real people.

I think you should do it if it makes you feel better and more in control to do anything you think will help. That was a very garbled sentence, but I can't do any better.

slinkiemalinki Tue 12-Aug-08 15:53:17

But all her celebrity mums gain no more than 10 lbs in pregnancy and she has a much lower c/s rate, 10%, dontcha know...
I am equally sceptical. I got the book free and liked the idea but the rice milk and ayurvedic tinctures were too much for me (also had v quick labour and birth here).

slinkiemalinki Tue 12-Aug-08 15:53:41

sorry, 20lbs. Not 10. slip of the keyboard.

mrsbabookaloo Tue 12-Aug-08 15:56:28

I got it free too! I wouldn't actually pay money for it!

TheProvincialLady Tue 12-Aug-08 16:11:01

But why do they make your fanjo tissues swell and not other tissues? I eat shedloads of both and have never noticed any swelling except in the backsidegrin

Of course if there is any proof this works I will definitely lay off the Mars Bars for a couple of weeks beforehand.

LadyG Tue 12-Aug-08 16:18:05

Errm no wheat here because DS aged 3 is coeliac. Don't know about 'tissue swelling' certainly had less ankle swelling than 1st pregnancy but also had a 9 pounder and although the birth was relatively natural (pethidine and gas and air) there was nothing gentle about it-still bloody painful

witchandchips Tue 12-Aug-08 16:19:36

also would suggest that eating wheat + sugar makes sex more enjoyable as fanjo would be narrower. smile

hoff Tue 12-Aug-08 16:26:55

i think the theory behind it is that the wheat causes water retention -have to say i haven't had any ankle swelling and i normally do in the heat of summer without being pregnant(i live in spain, its stinking hot) and sugar, i think was to avoid excessive weight gain. a lot of the other stuff was pretty hardcore but some parts seemed to make some sense and be adaptable to my lifestyle...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now