Talk

Advanced search

Paternity leave how much did your dh/dp take?

(21 Posts)
OFSTEDoutstanding Thu 31-Jul-08 16:35:52

Hi I am due with dd in 4 weeks. When I had ds 3 years ago dh took 2 weeks paternity leave and at the end felt a bit like he had wasted his time as we had so many visitors that he seemed to spend the whole 2 weeks making cups of tea. This time he is thinking of maybe only taking a week or 10 days depending of course on what day of the week she decides to arrive. I suppose what I am asking is with your 2nd dc how much paternity leave did your dh/dp take and was it better to have them around to help with your first child while you are recovering from the birth?

sagitta Thu 31-Jul-08 16:40:34

DH split his - so had one week with me for the first week, and then back for the third week. My mum came for the second week. It worked really well. It was nice to have someone to help with dc1, as I couldn't really.

Congratulations, and good luck!

twinklytoes Thu 31-Jul-08 17:41:34

dh takes 4weeks - 2wks paternity and 2wks annual leave. we didn't get so many visitors the second time around so the house wsan't like picadilly circus. expecting the same in october when number 3 arrives.

CharlotteYork Thu 31-Jul-08 21:22:02

We are on number 3 and breaking it up is def best had baby on Tuesday and have not seen hubby for visitors so he was back at work today and will have next week off when all has calmed down then another weeks in a few weeks times when I am running on empty!

laura325630 Thu 31-Jul-08 22:07:04

I had my first dd 7 weeks ago and dp took 2 weeks off. We got on great for the first week then it went down hill and I couldnt wait for him to go back to work so I could get organised!! I wish he had only had a week and saved the other week for later. He is taking another week in 4 weeks time. Good luck x

jingleyjen Thu 31-Jul-08 22:07:57

dh had 2 weeks went back to work for 2 weeks then had 2 weeks off it was great.

Elmosgirl Thu 31-Jul-08 22:08:48

First DD he went back to work the day after I got home from the hospital.

With DD2 he had a week off, was good to have him around then as he took main charge of DD1 leaving me to sort out feeding and such with DD2.

Yokefleet Fri 01-Aug-08 10:17:12

With ds hubby took 2 weeks paternity leave which was fine.

This time (I am due on Sunday) he is also taking 2 weeks off but he hasn't taken very much holiday leave this year so far and is planning on taking a couple of days off every few weeks. I hope this works as planned as it will be a great help for me!

Lovage Fri 01-Aug-08 13:57:15

With DS1, 6 weeks in total! 2 weeks official paternity leave and 4 weeks stored up holiday. Luckily it was mostly in August so he could do that.

This time probably 4 weeks, 2 of paternity and 2 of holiday.

I am a lucky woman. But also don't know how people manage with partners who don't/can't. I guess we would have all survived if DP hadn't been around, but bfing would almost certainly have gone out the window as it was so difficult and took all my energy to begin with.

scorpio1 Fri 01-Aug-08 13:58:13

4 days with ds2 and 10 days with dd.

He just gets under my feet, lol.

jellybeans Fri 01-Aug-08 13:59:47

10 days with my first (c section) and about the same with DD. 3 weeks after the twins (c section again), some being compassionate as birth was hideous and one twin was very ill in SCBU.Could have done with more as I was still ill when he went back.

Highlander Fri 01-Aug-08 14:48:48

2 weeks paternity with another 2 weeks annual leave. Fab {grin]

Blu Fri 01-Aug-08 14:50:20

2 weeks paternity leave then a week's hol
It was really nice.

MKG Fri 01-Aug-08 14:57:44

None.

claricebeansmum Fri 01-Aug-08 14:58:37

2 weeks although this was to welcome the new PC and settle it in rather than help out with DD grin

springerspaniel Fri 01-Aug-08 15:08:28

DH took 3 weeks the first time, 3 years ago. DS was a right pain to feed so I appreciated the moral support.

We had lots of visitors and I appreciated DH being around for moral support for coping with them!

This time DH planned to take 2 weeks off. DS (age 3) has been really hard work so has been great having DH around.

On top of that DD is also a right pain to feed so DH has just decided to take another week off. Am very relieved.

Depends how flexible your DH's work is.

DH has been WONDERFUL - helping with DD's feeding, DS's toddler tantrums, housework, my emotional state, everything. I must tell him more often.

zebedee1 Fri 01-Aug-08 15:33:55

DP took 2 weeks after the birth then another 5 weeks unpaid leave when DS was 3 months old. It was lovely, we went to Italy!

jammi Sat 02-Aug-08 00:21:55

Message withdrawn

moaningminnie2020 Sun 03-Aug-08 09:41:51

DH took about 6 weeks altogether, 2 weeks paternity and 4 weeks hols. He did my head in a bit but I had an emergency section which I recovered quite slowly from and a baby that never slept.

Will plan to do the same when #2 arrives in Dec but planning an elective this time and will send him back to work sooner if I can, am hoping I will recuperate quicker this time grin

hopelesshousewife Sun 03-Aug-08 10:07:08

None for either of mine.

mamadiva Sun 03-Aug-08 10:23:44

My DP took 2 weeks off. I had an ECS and didn't see the point in him taking time off when DS was in hospital as I had my mum etc. So he took the 2nd week off and 4th week can't remember why that happened but it worked for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now