Talk

Advanced search

Doulas

(8 Posts)
Amanda3266 Wed 09-Feb-05 21:33:41

Just wondered if there were any doulas here. Silly question really as I'm sure I've seen some posts from doulas

I am interested in training as a doula. I used to be a midwife but found that it didn't allow me to truly support a woman in labour - more a CTG technician and notekeeper. I did my best but in the end I left midwifery for health visiting. However, I am still very interested in the support (or lack of it) that women recieve in labour and I think it might be the direction I'll go in (possibly in the future).

Will having been a midwife go against me? ie. Will they think I have too much prior knowledge which would interfere with my ability to support a labouring mother?

Just wondering.

Mandy

pupuce Wed 09-Feb-05 21:46:13

I am - please feel free to CAT me

Will having been a midwife go against me?
Not in itself

ie. Will they think I have too much prior knowledge which would interfere with my ability to support a labouring mother?
Do you think you can keep your knowledge IN labour to yourself ?

Amanda3266 Wed 09-Feb-05 21:53:42

Hi pupuce - silly question. How do I CAT you

What does CAT mean?

I am a tech moron.

Yep! Am sure that i could my midwifery knowledge to myself - it's been three years now.

gish Wed 09-Feb-05 21:59:28

Hi Mandy

I am a doula too. I think having been on the other side of the coin will stand you in very good stead, in fact I know lots of m/w who would rather be doulas (and one who is)! As you say it is support........no clinical decisions, you are welcome to cat me too if you want to know about the training I did and how I work.

Gish x x x x

gish Wed 09-Feb-05 22:00:45

Go to "Contact another talker" at the top of the page, and you can email me through mumsnet.

assumpta Mon 21-Feb-05 21:45:07

Hi Gish,
I have just read your message and would be interested in hearing all about your work. It is something that I am interested in myself and would like to find out more about it. I tried to CAT you, but MN said that you weren't recieving e-mails. Would you be so kind as to CAT me. Thank you so much.

pupuce Mon 21-Feb-05 21:47:59

you can CAT em if you like

gish Tue 22-Feb-05 15:40:49

hi - will email you assumpta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now