Talk

Advanced search

First baby - how long in hospital afterwards?

(66 Posts)
notcitrus Wed 30-Jul-08 15:06:27

For those of you who gave birth in a hospital, how long did you stay there afterwards? What tests/checks do they want you to wait for, and which ones or medical conditions should you actually stay for?

Basically I want to avoid having to spend overnight in hospital as they'll want to kick MrNC out. Ideally I'll produce Squirmy at a sensible time of day and we can then just go home, but I don't want to be in a situation of being told "ooh, you're doing this against medical advice, do you really want to do that with your precious newborn baby?" (separately, we're working to ensure MrNC can stay with me, which would be easier if the midwives' phone wasn't permanently busy...)

MrsTittleMouse Wed 30-Jul-08 15:09:11

My hospital was very keen to kick us out as soon as possible (very large, very busy maternity unit). So you might not have as much of a fight as you think! The usual cause for delay is that there isn't a paediatrician available, as they like the baby to have their first check-up before you go.

Notanexcitingname Wed 30-Jul-08 15:10:16

If you ask for a 6 hour discharge, and tehre are no complicatinos, then theyre's unlikely to be an issue. But things (they like you) to stay in for

1) Meconium in waters-24 hours obs
2) Prolonged rupture of membranes-48 hour obs
3) Epidural-not idea how long, but I'm sure they won't let you go until you can walk
4) c-section; 48 hours
5) at my hosp, they like you to have feeding established, and this was 24 hours for me (was in for 48, because of (2))

OsmosisBanana Wed 30-Jul-08 15:10:30

I was out in 6 hours

TheBlonde Wed 30-Jul-08 15:10:57

One night
They are most likely to make you hang around waiting for a paed to check your baby

mosschops30 Wed 30-Jul-08 15:11:33

with dd (first born) she passed meconium so I was kept in two nights i think
with ds (2nd) he was very sleepy from copious amounts of pethidine so not feeding that well, again in 2 nights

OrmIrian Wed 30-Jul-08 15:12:44

5 days. Because I was struggling to get bfing established. Fed, watered and waited on after hand, foot and finger. Small maternity unit. Lovely it was.

expatinscotland Wed 30-Jul-08 15:13:16

i had a forceps delivery and then developed an infection, so we were in for almost a week.

TheUnsinkableMB Wed 30-Jul-08 15:17:30

I had dd in hospital at 9.30pm, but didn't get to the ward till 2am, long wait for doctor to do stitches, had shower etc, also had cathater put in due to stitches.

Was in for 3 (awful) days before they'd let me go home, even though there was nothing wrong with dd.

Next time I'd wanna be out like a shot!

Umlellala Wed 30-Jul-08 15:18:07

I had dd at 8.30pm and dh was kicked out about 11.30pm. I did get a bit hysterical blush but actually it was great for me to spend the night bonding with my new baby (just fed her basically, all night wink). Did push to go home the next day (and did), but it worked out well to be alone in hospital - and in fact I decided I was going to do the same this time with ds (although had him at different time 3am and then got to go home at 6pmish) but only had a couple of sessions where dh was kicked out and that was enough.

Time alone in hospital is nice to reflect and bond IMO.

Midge25 Wed 30-Jul-08 15:19:59

Dd born at 10am but kept in 2 nights after epidural, forceps and episiotomy - only reason I was ever given was that I had a temperature...I was desperate to go home!!

legalalien Wed 30-Jul-08 15:27:19

baby born at 1pm, placenta removed around 5.30pm <grim emoticon>, night in hospital, discharged middle of the next day (had lost a fair amount of blood and they wouldn't let me out until my blood pressure rose, I was literally sitting there trying to think angry thoughts to raise my blood pressure). could not get out of there fast enough......

notcitrus Wed 30-Jul-08 15:31:21

As I understand it, you can come back for a paed check (SIL2 delivered early Sat am, paed spent whole shift in special care, so waited till Sunday, ditto, so pushed off home).

Confused about the feeding thing - I've been told that milk doesn't come in for a few days after birth and not to worry if they don't feed in the first couple days, so how does that work with requiring the baby to be feeding already?

Useful to know what complications (meconium, stitches) will lead to requiring observation so we can prepare for that. I wish the system allowed you to discuss birth plans before 36 weeks - it never occurred to me until told recently that I might be made to stay alone (OK, probably with baby) in a hospital, and no way am I willing to do that. At least I have the option of a homebirth if the hospital get arsy, but I don't really want one!

tiggerlovestobounce Wed 30-Jul-08 15:35:31

I stayed in for 24 hours with each of my births (forceps and 2xCS).
If you want to leave quickly then you need to tell them that after you have had the baby as things like getting the baby checked, getting drugs sorted out can take time.
In my experience they were happy for me to go, I think that they dont generally like to make extra work for themselves, so if it is reasonable for you to leave then they will probably support that.
If they want you to stay get them to explain why in detail.

Have you thought about giving birth at home?

You might appreciate some time on your own getting used to the baby, especially for getting feeding established, if I had had my DH there flapping about i think it would not have gone well!

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 30-Jul-08 15:41:29

It definitely depends on the hospital - I was very lucky to have no complications and gave birth at 7.30pm and was home by 11.30pm the same evening. The doctor came to our house the next day to do the checks. They said I could stay overnight if I wanted as it was so late but I didn't want to stay if DP had to go home either so decided to all go home.

IIRC its the colostrum that comes in straight away and the baby feeds from that until the actual milk comes in.

Although I'm not sure how they define 'establishing breastfeeding' before you leave - the midwife latched DS on for me shortly after he was born and he fed for about 20 mins. Then I went home and couldn't get him to latch on at all for 24 hours so in some ways maybe I would have been better to stay at the hospital for longer so they could help me (although it sounds as though a lot are understaffed so might not be much help anyway!)

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 30-Jul-08 15:45:03

ALso it depends what time of day it is and if someone is around to discharge you. We could have actually gone home after a couple of hours shock (once I'd had a piece of toast, shower, wee, and been reminded that I had to put a nappy onto DS before putting his sleepsuit on!) but had to wait for the midwife to deliver another baby before she could discharge us!

TotalChaos Wed 30-Jul-08 15:45:17

8 days. primarily due to DS's jaundice. Otherwise I would have been in there 3 or 4 days (awkward delivery, problems with my bladder).

TheMuppetMuggle Wed 30-Jul-08 15:47:10

i had my DD at 12:53pm i was home and had dinner by 5pm, getting ready to watch the england footie game

alittleteapot Wed 30-Jul-08 15:51:21

4 or 5 days.dd passed meconium so they were keeping an eye on her, but also my bladder went to pot - I had to have a catheter. It was pretty grim. I was so glad to come home but also glad to have spent first few days with support around - a wonderful midwife helped me with bfing.

artichokes Wed 30-Jul-08 15:51:37

My hospital seemed keen to kick me out ASAP as they even made me sign a form saying I would not stay more than 24 hours. However, in the event DD was born at 12.30am and I bled alot and needed transfusions. I was in for two more nights after she was born and then had to wait the whole day to get out as there was no paed avaiable to check and discharge DD.

I thought I would be distraught without DH but it was actually good for him to get some rest and recover so he could pander to my every need on discharge smile. Also i was in such a hormone buzz that I was perfectly happy sitting up alone staring at my new baby all night.

HensMum Wed 30-Jul-08 15:51:37

I gave birth at 7am Sat and was let out at about 9am Sun. Baby had to have paed check which happened on Sat. I had a catheter which came out late on Sat (I had to ask them about a million times to remove it!) and then I had to prove that I could produce wee by myself before they'd let me go, which meant me wandering round the ward at 2am pushing newborn in his cot, with a bowl of wee in the other hand, trying to find a midwife to show it to!
Catheter was due to ventouse delivery which meant an episitomy and stitches.

I was happy to stay overnight as I got help with breastfeeding but was more than ready to go next morning.

MrsTicklemouse Wed 30-Jul-08 15:55:54

i came out of very big maternity ward the next morning (DS born at 7pm) but went (by choice) to very small maternity unit to be waited on hand at foot until feeding was established (3days)

ORMIRIAN isn't it lovely!!

thumbwitch Wed 30-Jul-08 15:57:30

I had DS at 2am and was trying to leave by 4pm that day (too hot, migraine) but was persuaded to stay in because hadn't managed to establish bf'ing - stayed in 2 more nights, got bf'ing sorted and actually it was a good thing (but I had a private room, which I would heartily recommend). Might have gone mental on the ward.

once home, it was all a bit more complicated having to work round other people and not having everything in the same room (washbasin for e.g.).

MrsTicklemouse Wed 30-Jul-08 15:58:46

NOTCITRUS the first view days of BFing is colustrum, which is really important, the more they get of that the better, but yes you are right milk doesn't come in for a couple of days

francesrivis Wed 30-Jul-08 16:00:31

IME it's best to be flexible with your plans cos it depends on all kinds of things including what sort of labour and birth you have. I was planning to go home as quickly as possible with DD but ended up staying in three nights and don't regret it. It was partly because I was so exhausted afterwards - literally falling asleep when trying to hold/feed DD. I had thought I would be upset about DP having to go home but I honestly wouldn't have known whether he was there or not! Then about 24 hours after she was born she got very very hungry and screamed the place down for hours until given formula top-ups (I know this is supposed to be a really bad idea but I honestly think she needed it - she was fine once my milk came in).

Sorry, bit of an epic post - I think my point is by all means plan for a quick discharge but be prepared to change your plans if necessary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now