Talk

Advanced search

Head of MW just rang to arrange 4 MW to come visit me thursday re Home Water Birth.

(19 Posts)

I have started a few threads on this recently, sorry if getting fed up of hearing me go on and on blush

After all the calls saying I can have a wb then cant then can etc...
Head of Mw just called to say as the staff at my local hospital are not trained in Water Birth YET (currently undergoing) then they have found a MW out of my area who is experienced in WB to agree to come out to me.
But obviously she has her own clients so they take priority.

The visit is to see where the Pool will go and to discuss alternatives if the MW is needed elsewhere.
She said dont be alarmed there is alot of us its not to gang up on you.
We endevour to provide the survice you want, but need to talk about if we can't.

What does anyone think about this?
Anyone experienced anything similar?

service oops

tiredemma Tue 29-Jul-08 14:13:08

I thought that they had to come out to check that its 'safe' for a waterbirth? Maybe this is the visit?

ShowOfHands Tue 29-Jul-08 14:15:00

Blimey. I had my own community midwife round at about 36 weeks for a cuppa and some biscuits. We nattered for a while, she got me to sign a form saying I wanted a homebirth, she drew a wee map of where we were for the other duty midwives and then she went on her merry way. I think I showed her the pool briefly but it was very casual.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 29-Jul-08 14:15:43

Message withdrawn

LOL good idea Starlight It just seems to be getting a bit frustrating.
I dont mind the visit and check.
But I know its to tell me I will have to get out of the pool to deliver if this other MW is not available.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 29-Jul-08 14:21:48

Message withdrawn

mears Tue 29-Jul-08 14:22:58

have you got these guidelines?

Don't feel intimidated in any way. Sounds as though this meeting is to discuss all the options. The guidelines I have linked you to are very helpgul and Ethel also has a video/CD which is also hel;pful for midwives learning about waterbirth. There really isn't anything complicated about it and the midwives are just lacking in confidence.

They should be able to learn enough theoretically reading Ethel's guidelines and watching the video which covers everything. The video is a bit dated but the information is relevant.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 29-Jul-08 14:24:27

Do you have to ask 'permission' for a pool, I'd not even considered this??

I know more water involved, but I spent a lot of my last (home)birth in the bath (no mws around at the time). As Starlight says, how would they actually get you out?

mears Tue 29-Jul-08 14:30:03

A guide to waterbirth - 4th video down on this link is good.

Alternatively contact Ethel Burns

mears Tue 29-Jul-08 14:31:32

Be clear that you will not be getting out of the pool unless there is a clinical need to do so such as a problem with the baby's heart rate monitoing or meconium stained liquor.

Hi thankyou.
When I spoke to midwife last week she said they cant drag me out, But I need to be aware of risks/consequences.
I am quite happy to go with the flow as long as they are able to monitor baby heartbeat.
Obviously I know things dont always go to plan as did not get a wb last year due to Meconium.

But I also need to feel confident in my MW too.
I read somewhere that baby should come up to surface slowly and face first.
My mw said it didnt really matter if it was face first or back of head first.

mears Tue 29-Jul-08 14:44:49

The baby's head should come to the surface first. IME as the baby is lifted from the water the head is uppermost so it isn't the face or back of head that comes first - it is the whole head IYSWIM? It is impoortant not to lift the baby too rapidly as the cord can become overstretched and snap if it is too short. The midwives should have a clamp ready to attach incase that happens.

mears Wed 30-Jul-08 17:45:41

Let us know how it goes BTW.

Hi Thanks I will let you know.

So the midwifes cancelled yesterday. They have got the MW from out of my area to agree to come oversee my water birth. But as I said earlier her clients have priority so she may not be available on the day...
So they cancelled yesterday due to one of her ladies going into labour. So rescheduled for next thursday.

BabiesEverywhere Fri 01-Aug-08 11:04:36

Sorry they canceled your appointment, hope it all goes well on Thursday.

mears Fri 01-Aug-08 12:18:18

That's a shame for you. I didn't realise that the waterbirth midwife was going to be there. She will be able to reassure the other midwives that it is likely all will be well even if she is not there.

The head mw I spoke to yesterday who was is also coming sounded ok but maybe a little harsh/rude. Trying no to judge till I meet her though.
She just mentioned we need to discuss alternatives incase the wb mw cant make the birth. That if i get to 37 weeks then they have got to offer me waht I want, then quickly added not that we wouldnt do what you want anyway.

She made a point of saying that she couldnt come on wednesday (alternative date arranged by another mw) as she had something on 'Far more important than me'
I totally appreciate I am not the only pregnant women but her tone and manner was a bit harsh IMO.
Sorry for rambling probably just feeling over sensitive.
I will mention it no more till I know whats happening next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now