Talk

Advanced search

West Middlesex or Kingston hospitals...any experiences of either/both?

(23 Posts)
FlirtyThirty Tue 29-Jul-08 12:53:08

Just wondering if anyone had had to choose between West Middlesex or Kingston hospitals and what they had thought. None seem to fare evry well in the league tables, but I'm not a huge believer in their value anyway...

kslatts Tue 29-Jul-08 13:50:35

I had the choice between these 2 hospitals as I live between the 2. Choose West Middlesex as was closer to where I worked and didn't have any problems. The midwives were all lovely.

loc Tue 29-Jul-08 23:06:50

Had to choose between these two myself, went for west mid and had a good experience. Have now moved so having DC2 in Kingston (due end of the Aug) so can let you know about both in a few weeks!!

babblington Tue 29-Jul-08 23:17:14

Kingston for my two DD's and impending DC - absolutely fine, nice to have own room!

amitymama Wed 30-Jul-08 09:25:35

I had my DD at Kingston's Malden Suite (midwife led) and it was quite nice, really. Nice big private birthing room with pool and ensuite bathroom, private postnatal room with own bathroom as well.

FlirtyThirty Wed 30-Jul-08 16:17:37

Thanks ladies - I'd heard the private rooms at Kingston were a real bonus. Hmm...I'm pretty much exactly half way between the two so distance isn't a factor...must admit I think Kingston and the Malden Suite is in the lead so far...

Loc...if you have the time/energy/inclination to let me know which you prefer after the birth...I'd love to hear! Good luck!

PortAndLemon Wed 30-Jul-08 16:25:32

I've had two at Kingston and was very happy.

funnypeculiar Wed 30-Jul-08 16:29:49

Had my ds at Kingston - fine experience - aftercare/bf support wasn't wonderful, but show me a hospital where it is! Own postnatal room with bathroom was WONDERFUL - made a huge difference, esp as we were in for 4 days - felt totally private/fab when we had guests etc. But I'd heard they were trying to phase these out - & of course, you aren't guarenteed one (my mate had two dcs in there and didn't get one either time.

CeylonSapphire Wed 30-Jul-08 16:55:55

In my antenatal group, 3 of us had babies at Kingston, the other West Mid. From comparing notes, I would choose West Mid next time - Kingston is very badly under-staffed, and although the midwives were good, and the team I had during my delivery were first rate, I think the West Mid is the better of the two.

Tapster Wed 30-Jul-08 21:17:49

Much much easier to park at west mid wink. I also found it much easier to go to my MW checks after the booking in appointment in a local clinic - I went to one in a church in teddington but they have lots scattered around the area. Much nicer than having to go to a hospital each time.

I had a mixed experience with DD1 as I ended up with an EMCS. However, I know a couple of people that nearly gave birth in the corridor at Kingston due to overcrowding.

Skimty Thu 31-Jul-08 08:43:45

Kingston was good - no experience of West Mid.

The only think I would warn is don't count on getting the Malden Suite as the only people that I've heard of that actually got in seemed to be the people that didn't want to IYSWIM.

mummy2bsoon Thu 31-Jul-08 16:58:57

west mid-midwives rocked.

TheMaskedPoster Thu 31-Jul-08 17:02:01

Had dd2 at Kingston. Was brill (Malden suite).

No exp re West Middlesex.

TheMaskedPoster Thu 31-Jul-08 17:03:33

Had own post-natal room with bathroom too (only one night - but fab).

aznerak Thu 31-Jul-08 17:16:33

I had both our Dcs in Kingston, first was emergency CS after 39 hours induced labour and second was elective CS.

Both times I had a private room which was a real godsend I have to say. Having been on a ward with DD (she had an op), I am SO glad I had the privacy and consequently the chance of some actual rest after the births.

Midwives were excellent and having had 2 CS, event though they were 3 years apart, unbelievably, I had the same surgeon, the same scrub team and same anaethetist!!!

It was all very surreal really but I couldn't fault them. Everywhere is understaffed sadly but they do their best.

maidamess Thu 31-Jul-08 17:19:05

Had all my 3 at Kingston. Fab midwives. Sooo nice.

mummy2bsoon Thu 31-Jul-08 17:23:57

i jus gav birth at west mid, and i had an amazin team...plus birthcenter will b opened in sept

halogen Thu 07-Aug-08 14:24:22

I had my daughter at Kingston in the midwife led bit and they were great. As for getting into the Malden Suite, they initially made me go to the other bit until I yelled about how I didn't want an epidural so you could always try that as a strategy!

Mikafan Thu 07-Aug-08 15:47:16

I had DS1 at West Middx, thought this was 16 years ago, but I didn't think they were brilliant then. I think its improved a lot though, and I think it won an award for its maternity unit last year so maybe its improved. I attended a BF drop in session there last year and found the whole place quite austere. Had my 2 subsequent children at Queen Charlottes but thats because I was considered high risk and they have good facilities for complicated births there.

loc Thu 04-Sep-08 16:57:59

Flirty Thirty, if you are still checking this thread....
Had DD at Kingston a couple of weeks ago and had a great birth experience! Much easier than DS.
As for which hospital I'd recommend I think you could have a good experience at either. Strangely the things I thought would be better at Kingston turned out to be better at West Mid and vice versa. I think a lot of it comes down to how you get on with your midwife which you really have no control over.
Let me know if you have specific questions about either...

Blondini Sun 02-Aug-09 21:36:25

Hi Loc - I realise it has been a year since you last posted here, but was wondering what your verdict was on Kingston vs. West Mid? I have to decide which one to go to and would love to know what you ended up thinking.

Blondini Sun 02-Aug-09 21:38:59

sorry, just realised that you had posted your thoughts! i guess that it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other then.....

HellsBells71 Sat 15-Aug-09 20:46:52

Hi All smile
Am a first-timer in terms of the site AND being pregnant! (only 6.5 weeks!)I'm also in a quandry regarding whether to get my GP to refer me to West Midd or Kingston; I'm really freaked out that you have to decide between the two without actually being able to see both. West Midd offer their tours on a Sunday which is great, but what am I even supposed to be looking for? And how can I compare that with Kingston without being allowed in the door?
Whichever I choose I will need to be in a consultant-led set-up due to a haematological condition.It's more of a formality than a high-risk situation.
I know that lots of my friends have had very definite ideas about the kind of birth they want- I just don't want us to be left alone for ages wondering whether everything's ok during the labour. I realise I probably sound a tad hysterical but it just feels like I've to make a pretty huge decision somewhat in-the-dark. Any advice please? blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now