Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about induction?

(13 Posts)
VintageGardenia Fri 25-Jul-08 17:49:36

Hi, have been told they might want to induce me next week if nothing's moving (that would be 40 weeks). Have spd, ginormous ankles, feet, hands and face, and a big bump on a small person, but other than that I feel fine. Not mad about idea of being induced, had not thought it would come to this, can anyone give me any advice? sad

wasabipeanut Fri 25-Jul-08 19:21:36

what would you like to know? I was induced.

wasabipeanut Fri 25-Jul-08 19:21:40

what would you like to know? I was induced.

VintageGardenia Fri 25-Jul-08 20:04:40

Well I didn't think it would be normal to be induced ON your due date, unless there was a problem with the baby. This induction seems to be being planned for my benefit (not by me) and I was wondering was this normal, given that my health problems, while annoying, don't seem to be in any way dangerous.

Also, was it unpleasant?

I don't really know what I am asking.

CarGirl Fri 25-Jul-08 20:08:18

you can say no?

I've been induced all 4 times

7 days over
16 days over
due date
14 days over

births 2 & 4 were far far better! Birth 3 (on due date) was nearly a failed induction because she wasn't ready yet.

I've had very big babies and I'm only little and have had any tearing/stitches etc apart from a tiny nick & one stitch with baby number 2.

They were all quite different experiences tbh

Heated Fri 25-Jul-08 20:11:27

I was going to be given the gel for an induction. MW said my cervix was 'favourable', didn't need the gel, would be sent down to the labour ward to have my waters broken. Phoned dh to leave work.

Having waters broken stung a bit but they gave me gas & air. Because of previous problems I had an immediate epidural after the first labour pain which was 10 mins later and was intense.

madmouse Fri 25-Jul-08 20:13:17

ginormous ankles feet hands and particularly face may mean (but I am not medically trained) that you are at risk of developing pre-eclampsia (particularly the face), so they may be unhappy about letting you walk around much longer. But you could have daily blood pressure checks instead.

I was induced due to labour not progressing. lo was attempting to come down back to back and with his head sideways so induction was also slow and painful, in the end it took forceps.

You may wish to ask how ready your cervix is - is it softening already? Induction can be difficult if not. Plus baby may not be ready.

VintageGardenia Fri 25-Jul-08 22:23:45

They did say it would depend on cervix on Wednesday, that's the "might" - that if the cervix is not favourable (= already opening?) they would probably not do it.

I suppose I don't feel that I know enough to refuse, which I suppose in turn means I haven't asked enough questions.

I was induced with DS but that was 10 years ago, he was 8 days overdue and they were worried about the fluid level not being sufficient for him. But I hated it, and I wanted this one to be natural.

I'm sorry I'm not being very clear. It has thrown me more than I would have expected.

Ewe Fri 25-Jul-08 22:28:33

I had a failed induction so you may not want to hear my birth story (unfavourable cervix).

If you want it natural then you need to go back and ask more questions...

Why are you being induced?
What is the medical benefit?
What is the risk if you say no?

There is a little acronym that people are always using to outline similar to above but I can't remember it!

lou031205 Fri 25-Jul-08 23:05:19

I have had two inductions, one at 39+6, at 4pm, resulting in waters breaking at 03.00, labour starting at 05.15, and DD1 born at 09.20 - altogether pretty painless (they didn't think I was in labour until I was examined at 08.35 and they found I was fully dilated) until the last hour. I had a 2nd degree tear because DD put her arm up as she was born. A few stitches.

DD2 - induced at 35+4 - gel at 10am, waters broken at 5pm, and DD2 born at 01.00. No tears or stitches.

VintageGardenia Sat 26-Jul-08 11:53:00

I think I have heard of that Ewe, it's BRAIN or BRAN, begins Benefit, Risk...

You are right, I have to ask those questions, and I will.

It's really interesting to hear your stories, madmouse, heated, cargirl, lou. I think I may have posted prematurely because I hadn't (haven't) sorted things out in my head. Just panicked and though oh God what does this mean should I refuse, can I refuse, etc, is it wrong for the baby. And just rushed on here.

ten10 Sat 26-Jul-08 12:22:42

The reason for my induction was that my waters broke and 72 hrs later still no contractions,

so they used the gel, which brought on contractions,
everything was progressing really well until I was fully dilated and then my contractions stopped so then they used Oxytocin through a drip.

this did bring back the contractions but they were very weak, this then meant that my second stage of labour was very difficult and slow. There was rather a lot of discussion about then taking me for a caesarean and were prepping the theatre,

however, thankfully, I got a couple of really good strong contractions lots of determination and with the help of the ventouse he popped out.

This was my first so I have no other experience to compare it too, but i thought it might help to share

VintageGardenia Sun 27-Jul-08 12:27:52

It does help, thanks ten10. Just to know what happens, what can happen (even though they have specifically told me to avoid searching for information on the internet - HOW likely do they think that is?? grin ).

Generally, induction seems to progress faster. Reading about tears (one of my absolute dreads - been there, etc), the books seem to say the slower you take it, the less likely you are to tear. Does that mean with induction you are more likely to have an injury, does anyone know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now