I was considering a VBAC but my baby is est. at 8lbs at 37 wks. I was 54kg pre-pregnancy.(29 Posts)
Had a scan today and the baby's weight is estimated at 8lbs (3.65kg). I know these measurements can be out by 10%.... but they were spot on with DS and the sonographer checked several times and said she was being conservative.
I was 54kg pre-pregnancy and have a very small frame.
DS was born at 41wks, weighting about the same as this one is now. I got to 9cm dilated with him and then he got stuck so I had to have a EmSC. They later told me that he was trying to come out face first. Apparently this baby is in exactly the same position.
My consultants words were "OK, there is no point being stupid about this". He has suggested waiting until 39 weeks and having a CS if the baby has not made an appearance by then. Does this sound like a sensible advice? Has anyone been through a similar experience?
To be fair to the consultant, he was very supportive oof a VBAC at the earlier stages of my pregnancy.
8lb isn't huge though is it, for that stage of pregnancy? Just because your first baby was a week overdue, doesnt mean this one will be. If it arrives on time then it could be 9/10 lb but again that's not abnormally large. And the scan may not be totally accurate anyway!
A baby getting 'stuck' isnt always to do with weight anyway - it is likely to be to do with position (which will probably change anyway between now and giving birth!) and also head/shoulder size. My ds was the most painful to give birth to as he had a huge frame, big head and shoulders, but was actually one pound lighter than his older sister.
I would stop worrying and not let yourself be persuaded into a csection
It is 97 centile so it is kind of huge .... and I am small... and this one also seems to want to come face first, which was the problem with my first.
A good experienced old-school midwife could get you into a position during labour that would help your baby's position. No guaranteeing you'll get one of those, unfortunately...
DD was estimated at 7.5 lb at 36 weeks, which is around the same size, and her VBAC was a doddle (granted, didn't have the positional issue to deal with...)
Justaphase, my mother is 5 foot and tiny and had a 10.5lb baby.
If there is a particular reason why VBAC won't work, then go for a CS, but I find it hard to believe that a possibly 10lb baby is really a reason for a CS at 39 weeks.
And there are things you can do to try to change the baby's position - am sure someone more useful than me can point you in the right direction.
Also, I have a friend who was told her baby was big. When she emerged - bang on her due date - she was all of 5lbs 10oz. So take your time making any decision.
i'm not an expert, but the fact that you got to 9cm before seems promising to me...
my ds2 was a 'failed' vbac, and he was 9.5lbs, was posterior like yours, then got his head wedged sideways... but i don't think his size was anything much to do with it, and my homebirth m/ws weren't concerned about delivering such a big chap to a small me (i'm about same size as you by the sound of it).
trust your instincts as to whether you feel confident about it...
It is the baby's size in relation to me though, I wear trousers size 8/10.
Is there really anything that can be done to make the baby look down? I would definitely like to try that if there is, because I would really like to try for a VBAC especially if the baby comes early.
the basic theory is to be sitting upright or on all fours or on one of those birth ball things as much as possible so that the weight of the baby turns to your front. if you google optimal foetal position i think you'll get a few helpful links.
i tried acupuncture to try to turn ds2, didn't work for me, but apparently it does for lots of people.
Hi, I am 50 kilos pre-pg. DD1 was only 7lb 4 at 38 wks when i was induced due to pre-eclampsia. However she had a 35cm head which was on the 91st percentile for her gestational age. She didn't get 'stuck'. She still has a big head and an avg body.
While they may have been right in estimating your baby's weight the last time doesn't mean they got it right this time and they can be out by more 2 lbs either way.
Lots of things influence whether or not a baby will get stuck and maternal frame size is not normally a factor in it.
Try looking at adopting positions now that will facilitate your baby turning into optimal position before you go to hospital. Look at this site for starters
Look at keeping as active as possible during labour again posture. Upright and don't feel like you have to be strapped to a monitor 'ie lie down' in order for them to monitor your baby. It is easier for them to leave you strapped to a monitor then read the trace later than it is to come in periodically and give actual personal care.
Try googling phrases like 'active birth' if you want to learn more about getting how being upright and active during labour facilitates the best outcome for you and your baby.
if your baby is malpositioned then that is more of a reason to think about elective c.s, than the size.
if baby is presenting face first, then that really makes VB very difficult
although there is nothing to say baby won;t turn or amend position once labour underway
it is most unlikely baby will come at 39 weeks, so why not ask for rescan at term and see what happens, and if baby still not presenting well, mabye take it from there
a larger baby in itself is not a reason for an elective c.s IMO
also, just a very personal opinion here, but i think having a c/s a week early just cos the baby might be on the big side is not necessarily a great idea... if you are keen to have a vbac then you might find afterwards you feel a bit cheated that you never even had the chance to go into labour and see how it turned out. the baby might move at the last minute and everything be fine.
i ended up with a section at 42 weeks, after 36 hour labour, but am SO glad i gave it my best shot, despite the doc who did the c/s saying it could have been done 3 weeks ago and saved us all a lot of bother.
i will always be a little disappointed i didn't get my home birth, but for me was def the right thing to do.
Thanks lulumama (and everyone else). I am booked for a re-scan at 38+6 so will check the position again if the baby has not arrived by then.
Can the positioning exersises actually help with the "face first" situation or is it mostly for breach etc. babies?
I am thinking, can I do anything to make BB more likely to succeed in case I go into labour in a week, say.
did you post yuor birth story ladysanders? i remember you posted labouring at home..
i too knew if i went straight for an elective i would always have that what if feeling? re VBAC
positioning excercises can help, they certainly won't hurt.
i would be inclined to have a go at labour, only that babies can turn and change position with the contractions and a c.s a week early, does not really give you a chance
but of course it is your decision!
lulu, nope i didn't post the birth story, but i do remember your good wishes when i was in labour! it just went on and on and on...classic posterior labour as i understand it... took 36 hours to get from 3cm to 5cm and by then i was pretty exhausted as contrax were every few mins and fairly strong... his head was still high... when they did the c/s the (lovely) midwife said his head was still well above the spines and wedged sideways (transverse arrest?)so think my instinct to call it a day was the right one. number 3 will be home vbac! (not that i'm pg....)
sorry for brief hijack!
I have been having very strong contractions for a couple of weeks now and baby's head is very low .... so I am thinking there is a good chance that the baby comes early. I may be totally wrong, of course.
near the bottom of the spinning babies page it says that you don't have to have a breech or posterior baby to do most of the exercises.
Here is a useful page.
that sounds really positive then... good luck!
thanks ladysanders. sounds like you gave it your best ! must have been exhausting. good luck for next time
hi just thought id share my experience..
just had my 2nd daughter weeks ago via c-section due to her being small had her at 38weeks,
i had regular scans and they told me a week before i had her that she weighed 5lb12 she was born 5lb2 and now 3weeks later weighs 6lb15
so goodluck they are not always right...
I am only a size 6 and had my son naturally, everoyone though i would need a section due to my size. They were concerned about my sons weight as they though he was too small, he was born 7lb 6 and my daughter a yr later 5lb 12.
My DD was an EMCS, I was a size 8/5ft tall, small pelvis, and they thought my daughter was big for me i.e. around 7 1/2lbs but deliverable. My waters broke, nothing happened, induced got to 4cm baby did not descend ever. During the CS doctor said her shoulders were way big for a VB, later found out her head was 98th percentile too. She was 9lb 1oz. They were worried about her lack of movement which prompted the CS rather than size.
I'm now pregnant with my second and will ask for growth scans but will very probably go for an elective. I don't want to have a 24hours labour again then an EMCS and then to go home to a toddler with a new baby.
Growth scans are out by 15%, but it does mean that your baby could be bigger than 8lb by 15% already.
In your boat I would take the consultants advice and go for a CS.
Join the discussion
Please login first.