Talk

Advanced search

own room??

(22 Posts)
kentDee Tue 22-Jul-08 23:26:50

Im due to have my baby in 2 weeks and am wondering if I can book a private room to use even though its NHS hospital? Anyone done this? Is it too short notice?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 22-Jul-08 23:30:24

Message withdrawn

kentDee Tue 22-Jul-08 23:33:43

Thanks SMK. Any idea of costs?

Jivegirl Tue 22-Jul-08 23:34:26

Do you mean to give birth or afterwards? Because you will give birth in a private room and only get moved to a ward afterwards.

Although I was allowed to stay in my 'room' for both DC births - was nice to midwife and they weren't busy so she said I could stay put! (have to say that I would have enjoyed being on a ward - I had to wait 8 hours to be discharged during the day and was very lonely by the end!)

I am not 100% sure, but I would be surprised if you could book a private room (unless you paid to give birth in a private hospital). I work for the NHS, and I can't see how they would be able to do this logistically. It would potentially mean keeping a room free at all times for when you went into labour, and knowing hospitals are always struggling for beds I don't think this would happen.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 22-Jul-08 23:39:14

Message withdrawn

kentDee Tue 22-Jul-08 23:39:20

Both really. I have heard from friends that they had their "own" room for birth and for afterwards eg for shower etc. They are based up in newcastle though.

kentDee Tue 22-Jul-08 23:42:33

Dont like the thought of being isolated esp when dp leaves. Didnt think of that. Just like the idea of complete privacy and spending time just the 3 of us iykwim.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 22-Jul-08 23:46:42

Message withdrawn

kentDee Tue 22-Jul-08 23:50:07

Im literally due any day (39 weeks 2m) so will stick to my hospital plan. Thanks for your messages.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 22-Jul-08 23:51:57

Message withdrawn

memoo Tue 22-Jul-08 23:57:54

I had my own room just off normal ward, it had a little onsuite and a tv, I loved it.

It meant that when my DS slept I could get some sleep too rather than being kept awake by other peoples babies.

Think it cost about £40, but it was a few years ago. Also there was no guarentee before hand that I would get it, but luckily it was free

kentDee Wed 23-Jul-08 00:15:27

Oh really? That sounds ideal memoo. So how did you go about booking it? through midwife or when you go into labour?

memoo Wed 23-Jul-08 00:41:00

I asked my midwife at ante-natal appointment. She said that I could ask about it when I went in and if there was a room free they would let me have it but couldn't book it in advance. After I had given birth to DS, I was taken down to ward and I asked then and luckly room was free.

When I had my first baby i was on the normal ward and felt exausted by the time I was allowed home. Its so noisy you just can't rest. There is always at least one baby crying so how can you sleep when your baby does, its just chaos

But when I had my second baby and I had the private room it was just heaven, I felt really relaxed and rested. I would definately do it again if I had another baby

Hoonette Wed 23-Jul-08 06:14:58

My midwife gave me a leaflet about this at one of the appointments. For the hospitals in Bristol, you cannot book rooms in advance, but you can ask on the day if there is one available.

If you contact the hospital where you plan to give birth they should be able to let you know their rules, but I expect it's similar.

justkeepswimming Wed 23-Jul-08 06:51:31

i hsd ds2 in hosp - here you ask when you go in about a private room, if there is one free you can have it. cost about £75 a night i think (dh sorted that out!).
i think it was well worth the money!
private bathroom, had a tv, could sleep when ds slept. when dh came in we had privacy. dh gave ds his first bath without an audience. dh could also help me to the bathroom (had a c-s) which was lovely.

i had visited a friend on the ward a few weeks previously and told dh there was no question, i wanted a room!

good luck!

pleasechange Wed 23-Jul-08 12:29:52

At the hospital I attended, you needed to request the private room on arrival - £50 ensuite, £40 non-ensuite

hana Wed 23-Jul-08 12:34:16

it is grim being on a ward - why do some people think it's good for company or you'd be lonely /isolated? Crying babies, women who can't move b/c of sections and so can't get to those crying babies, other noisy families there during visiting hours- I had private room 2/3 times and would def pay the money!!

fedup1981 Wed 23-Jul-08 12:43:09

Kentdee, I didn't have a bad time on the ward I was on, although got a bit annoyed when the nurses kept opening my curtains as I did like them shut when I was trying to sleep and other people's visitors were there. Generally it was fine, there weren't too many babies crying, there were nurses to help if they did, and they were very kind to me when I was feeling low or when I needed assistance.

Just wanted to put my perspective forward in case you can't get a private room. Wards aren't necessarily bad!

YumeeMumee Wed 23-Jul-08 13:02:08

We had to pay for a private room but that had to be done almost at the time when needed as they had to see if one was available, as priority would be given to prem babies or difficult births etc.

DS was born in the early hours so it was nice to have a private room and be undisturbed. They do forget about you at mealtimes but they told me what the times were and I made a point of going to get my own or not bother. The midwives did look in from time to time and made a point of saying that I should ask for help if needed but even so I wasn't really disturbed, which I liked smile.

Others I've talked to did complain about the noise on the ward and the domino effect that crying babies have! So I was glad we opted for a private room and would pay again (£80).

pleasechange Wed 23-Jul-08 13:46:34

I stayed in both a private room (for the first 2 nights) and then a ward (for 4 nights). The ward was noisy but to be honest I could still hear screaming babies from the private room. Basically maternity wards are noisy places, so you probably wouldn't get much peace whatever

bubblagirl Wed 23-Jul-08 13:52:56

i was on a ward to begin with then put in my own room as had kidney infection was in constant agony and felt it would be nicer for me to not have all to see

i hated it was having a laugh with other mums hated when my dp went home had no one to talk to it was nice just me and ds but other mums were all togther nattering cooing over each others babies and had tv on ward and i had nothing

it sounds ideal own room and privacy if for one night then ok but i had 4 nights on my own and was so lonely in tears when dp went home as i was then left with no one to talk to and felt so lonely

i did used to go and sit with a girl on ward and had such fun and hated when i got sent back to my own room

bubblagirl Wed 23-Jul-08 13:55:12

i agree it was nice not being amongst all the crying babies but i wasnt immune to hearing them

guess i just wanted the other as wanted company but i guess the peace was nice and maybe better than being on the ward i dont know because i just felt lonely but i probably would have preferred to have gone home instaed of staying in hosp anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now