Talk

Advanced search

Probably over reacting but would appreciate some advice

(18 Posts)
naturalblonde Tue 22-Jul-08 20:33:01

I'm 32 wks, and having regular (Braxton Hicks?) contractions, had about 6, 5 mins apart. They're not painful, just really strong. No other symptoms, should I call a midwife? Could this be labour? I think probably not, just the stregth of the contractions has worried me, and don't want to hassle busy midwives if i'm wrong.

cupsoftea Tue 22-Jul-08 20:35:02

If you're worried give the m/w a ring - they really wont mind

lulumama Tue 22-Jul-08 20:35:46

better to be safe than sorry and give them a call....

lulumama Tue 22-Jul-08 20:36:24

give it an hour mabye. see what happens? have a bath and see if that helps. if any fluid or blood loss definitely get seen

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:36:49

Def call MW.

I have a history of prem labour and hte rule I was given was more than 4 Contractions in 1 hour (i.e. 15-20min intervals) call delivery suite for advice.

Snaf Tue 22-Jul-08 20:40:11

How long have you been having them? Do they go away if you lie down/walk around/have a bath/etc? Are they getting stronger/longer/closer together? Is this your first baby?

Probably just 'practice' ones, but it will do no harm to call anyway and get checked out. That's what the mws are there for smile

Heated Tue 22-Jul-08 20:46:01

I had these at 33 & 38 wks but in contrast for me the real thing hurts - a lot - and pain was all the way round, esp in the lower back too. If you get a show or bleeding then imo phone mw/labour ward but braxtons can go on for quite a while.

naturalblonde Tue 22-Jul-08 20:49:33

2nd baby which is why i think probably not labour. They don't hurt, but don't go away when walking or lying down.

KashaSarrasin Tue 22-Jul-08 20:51:38

I'd go and get checked out. I had similar, regular and strong BH at 31 weeks and it turned out to be labour - I was very glad to be in hospital when it all kicked off for real as it all happened very fast!

I hope in your case it's just innocent BH but definitely worth getting it checked!

Snaf Tue 22-Jul-08 20:52:59

You know your body best. If you don't think it's labour then it probably isn't. Leave it an hour or two and see how you go. Have a bath and a glass of wine, then see how you feel wink

DontNeedAnything Tue 22-Jul-08 20:56:52

I didn't think mine was labour...MWs didn't think mine was labour....55minutes later I had 2 children....

please call for advice. Better safe that sorry. 5 in 30 minutes sounds like a lot. It could simply be an irritable uterus, but as I say better safe than sorry.

itati Tue 22-Jul-08 20:57:32

Def call the MW.

MKG Tue 22-Jul-08 21:06:37

Are they mainly in the evening? Are you staying hydrated. I mentioned this to my doctor in my last pregnancy because every night I had regular contractions for about two hours. She said to drink more water, I did and they went away.

Definitely call the midwife if you think there's something else going on.

KashaSarrasin Wed 23-Jul-08 08:28:17

Any news Naturalblonde? Hope everything has calmed down for you.

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 08:36:12

Have you been ill recently? Are you dehydrated? That can cause braxton hicks. I hjad the most awful vomiting bug the other day, and that gave me awful braxton hicks.

Agree with the others - ask your midwife.

naturalblonde Wed 23-Jul-08 09:07:50

I called the midwife in the end, she told me to get to hospital asap, they put me on a monitor, and typically the contractions stopped. Checked if I was dilating (I wasn't) and sent me home. So no baby yet.

belgo Wed 23-Jul-08 09:10:16

That's good news. Did they check your uringe? UTIs can cause braxton hicks .

naturalblonde Wed 23-Jul-08 09:38:46

Yeah, urine fine and no infections. Don't know what caused it, but will just keep going back if they carry on like that. was about 2 hours of BH 5 mins apart in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now