Talk

Advanced search

Getting anxious now................

(25 Posts)
rockinmum Tue 22-Jul-08 15:30:05

Just found out DH has to go away for work for two weeks at the beginning of august (really has no choice in the matter) and we are both worried that he is going to miss baby being born.

I don't drive and all our transport options are friends of ours (although I only know them through him) and I don't feel comfortable with calling them in the middle of the night.

We're overdue by our dates but the dates given to us by the midwife fall right in the middle of his abscence from home.

Really stressed out now, was getting backache all morning and really thought she was on her way but obviously not as I am still here! Keep being sick, but the midwife just says it is more hyperemesis (I haven't been sick like this for about 4 months now)

Any advice on how to get things started? OR the chances of God letting baby come while husband is here? He is Catholic after all lol. xx

dinkystinky Tue 22-Jul-08 15:46:59

Rockinmum - I appreciate how worried you must be: I would be too in your position. Do you have any family members/really good friends who could come stay with you/help you in labour if baby comes while DH is away? My DH had to go away a couple of weeks before my DS was born and I was worried too - though had my sister come to stay which helped knowing that someone was around if I did go into labour (in the end DS was two weeks overdue after all that worrying).

Things which allegedly help with kicking labour off are sex, hot curries, nipple tweaking, long walks, and eating pineapple - I tried all of these and they did nothing at all for me. Friend tried accupuncture and swore by it.

desperatehousewifetoo Tue 22-Jul-08 15:58:40

Why don't you get your dh to ask the friend you feel most comfortable with to be 'officially on stand-by'?

I'm sure they would be delighted to be there for you if need be. I probably wouldn't have wanted anyone in with me if dh had been away (not that he was much use either time, bless him!) but at least to know that you could call no matter what time, day or night, and they would at least take you to the hopsital.

I think, if he has no choice but to be away, he should rally some troops to be on hand.

Alternatively, is there someone you know better who could come to stay?

Pinkali37 Tue 22-Jul-08 16:07:39

I heard you had to have an awful lot of sex for that to work but that a much better idea was to drink it (iykwim shock) because the same drug is in semen as is in the induction drug!! Also rasberry tea and plenty of walking to get baby and gravity working together.

If DH is a catholic - try praying!!!

rockinmum Tue 22-Jul-08 16:41:48

LOL - would try praying but I'm not catholic or relgious in the slightest.

Have tried squats (aparranlty they work?) and have been getting weird popping feeling in bump and some cramping on right hand side. Also keep feeling wet but nothing there when I check?

Maybe its my phantom waters breaking?

desperatehousewifetoo Tue 22-Jul-08 17:35:28

Keep squatting then....!smile

PortAndLemon Tue 22-Jul-08 17:40:38

Pinkali37 - but you don't take induction meds orally, they are vaginal suppository and/or intravenous drip. I suspect a man came up with the "better taken orally" myth... hmmgrin

rockinmum Tue 22-Jul-08 18:33:29

Definately sounds like a male circulated myth to get what they want lol.

Not a chance of DH getting that the way I've been feeling. wink

Just started getting pain in the front of pelvis so hopefully she is moving further down??!! hmm

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 22-Jul-08 22:10:03

Does he REALLY have to go away hmm

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 22-Jul-08 22:15:32

Message withdrawn

Pinkali37 Wed 23-Jul-08 09:15:25

grin Nope, oral administration of 'you know what' gets into your system a lot quicker than rumpy pumpy (in fact that really doesn't get into your system because the plug is stopping it), plus the old fashion method is just supposed to loosen things!! Honestly, I was reading a research paper on it!!!! Strangely a man did write it, however i do believe that scientific research took over the male hormonal urge! grin

rockinmum Wed 23-Jul-08 09:44:53

Yeah he definately has to go, in the military and is medical related. Been sat on the birthing ball constantly while I'm awake. Keep getting cramp in my leg from squatting and keep walking up and down the stairs which the dog has now decided is a fun new game! lol.

If I go into labour before he goes he'll be off from then but will still have to go, my mum says she'll come and stay with me for the first week he's away though, and I'm sure that for the second week I'll just have to make sure my friend literally lives at my house lol

SUppose I should be grateful it's only 2 weeks and not 4 months huh? hmm

rockinmum Wed 23-Jul-08 11:36:09

May well be TMI but everything feels REALLY tight down below, like its all closing?

IS this normal?

xx

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 23-Jul-08 14:04:50

Message withdrawn

rockinmum Wed 23-Jul-08 14:22:53

Yeah feels really heavy in bottom of bump and getting exhausted just dusting the coffee table (lol) used to being quite active so takes some getting used too. Just can't quite put my finger on it but feel weird, IYSWIM. Everything seems lower down in general and bump seems to have dropped, she was 4/5s palpable on Friday but if I press where the doctor did to check this I can no longer feel her head.

Really hope she comes soon as don't particularly want to go through it on my own. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 23-Jul-08 14:29:55

Message withdrawn

rockinmum Wed 23-Jul-08 15:06:39

Hmmmm.........next midwife appt is 30th but she is really unsympathetic. Really won't go against the hospital dates wise or anything like that. We had one doctor agree with our dates and she wrote this in my notes but the next time we saw her she must have been told off by the Senior Med Officer (military doctors) because all of a sudden she agreed with the MW. hmm

HAve just hoovered whole house, done dishes, dusted etc and still want to do more...........eeekkkk huge Bee just flown in my window!!! help!!!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 23-Jul-08 15:17:38

Message withdrawn

desperatehousewifetoo Wed 23-Jul-08 20:02:03

Get rockin, Rockingrin

rockinmum Thu 24-Jul-08 09:12:46

Lol, am sat on the ball at the moment actually, don't think I've sat on the couch for about a week. hmm
Went to bed last night and had a really sharp long pain over the top of bump and then weird noises coming from it, almost like stomach gurgling but didn't feel like it was in my stomach IYSWIM.

Got up this morning and my back is like a dull ache so hopefully something will happen (preferably today) lol

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 24-Jul-08 09:33:00

Message withdrawn

rockinmum Thu 24-Jul-08 09:34:17

I could easy eat a whole pineapple, but as I eat a lot of it anyways would it do any good? lol.

Looks like I will have to pray nooone comes to the door and try the nipple tweaking instead lol

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 24-Jul-08 09:44:48

Message withdrawn

rockinmum Thu 24-Jul-08 09:46:22

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.......sneaky sneaky lol.

Might consider it if nothing happens today. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 24-Jul-08 09:58:45

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now