Talk

Advanced search

Positive Birth Stories...

(32 Posts)
MrUmble Tue 22-Jul-08 14:44:21

Hi,
Does anyone have any positive birth stories they can share (preferably about hospital births).

Just to reassure my wife and of course, me!

Marathon Tue 22-Jul-08 15:00:57

I have three positive birth stories, all in hospitals. All positive as, on each occasion, we left with a beautiful and healthy baby!

But I also know the reassurance you want. All births were positive experiences. The care was superb. The midwives could not have been more professional or caring. In fact, I wuld rather give birth than be pregnant. Best of luck.

TheUnsinkableMB Tue 22-Jul-08 15:08:13

I had my dd at hospital and have no complaints what-so-ever.

Staff were lovely and supportive (from what I can remember, spent most of the birth in a diamorphine induced haze...bliss)
Even afterwards the staff were great and went home a couple of days later with lovely healthy dd.

No awful midwives and no complications!

Only bit, I didn't get the water birth as I would have liked.

feb Tue 22-Jul-08 15:13:17

I had a wonderful drug-free water birth in a consultant led unit.
The midwives were wonderful

lulumama Tue 22-Jul-08 15:17:13

i have had a positive hospital birth, and doulaed a number of very positive hospital births too...

i did do a lot of preparation and had 3 very supportive birth partners who were very au fait with my needs and preferences and made sure they were met.

the midwives were great. caring, professional and listened to us.

i was high risk due to previous c.section but treated 'normally', IFYSWIM

also, my baby was back to back,which can make things tricky, but i had a normal vaginal delivery, no tearing, no episiotomy, no intervention, with lots of gas and air and some pethidine!

my birth was so positive, it made me become a doula and i am now involved at my local hospital on two committees regarding maternity services...

bubblagirl Tue 22-Jul-08 15:18:15

i had lovely hospital birth the most supportive and lovely midwife and only gas and air as pain relief

and some lovely nurses also but remember sometimes if you know something isnt being dealt with right dont be afraid to speak up as you do get some nurses that are tad bit forgetful

but the whole maternity team were great and couldnt have asked for a better midwife she was very funny and relaxing and supportive and we all actually had a laugh which helped as kept me relaxed

and of course my dp was very supportive i didnt shout or swear lol having him so supportive really helped the most as we were both sharing the moment he took such good care of me

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 15:19:09

lulu - you had 3 birth parnters? wow! Who were they? <nosy>

SydneyB Tue 22-Jul-08 15:27:10

I did. As Marathon said would much rather give birth than be pregnant. Pain much more bearable than I thought. Amazing hospital midwives. No real complaints at all. In fact this time around I'm feeling brave enough for a home birth! Good luck.

BasementBear Tue 22-Jul-08 15:50:59

Had lots of drugs for DS1's birth so can't remember much wink but DS2's was great! Very quick, in fact my parents didn't arrive until DS2 was almost there so I had DH and DS1 in the room with me! DS1 didn't want to wait outside with the nurses so he sat in a corner colouring in, and copying DH shouting PUSH, PUSH MUMMY! (He was 20 months). So funny I was laughing through most of it! Had planned to have all the drugs possible again the second time round but midwife said it was too late so managed on gas and air. Yes, the pain is incredible, but it's not like braking a bone or something - as soon as the baby is born there is no pain at all. Felt really proud of myself that I'd managed it without drugs too. Good luck!!

eilidhfi Tue 22-Jul-08 15:51:33

Mine was a bit complicated and veeeeeery long (DP spent much of it playing mario karts, watching football, eating the indian takeaway he got delivered to the hospital then having a little nap hmm ) but overall it was very positive.

I'd give birth any day of the week if it meant I could have more gas and air...

lulumama Tue 22-Jul-08 15:52:42

DH, mum and best friend!!

was only supposed to have two, but i got 3!
my dad was with me briefly, watched me have two contractions, hoiked me off the floor, patted my shoulder, and said 'i'll get your mother!' i didn;t see him until the next day grin

maretta Tue 22-Jul-08 15:58:02

All 3 of my births have been great. Very quick and never needed anything more than gas & air.

funnypeculiar Tue 22-Jul-08 16:01:43

Two good hospital births here - both times I had great midwives who did their best to accomodate what i wanted (even bending hospital rules to manage it), & really worked with dh & I.

First one - gas & air only, second one only remembered painrelief after I'd given birth. Honestly.

For my first birth, I'd rate the aftercare pretty highly too (mostly because they left me alone in a single room grin)

Both at hospitals which get the lowest rating in stats tables, incidentally.

detoxdiva Tue 22-Jul-08 16:09:24

I had a positive birth experience at my local hospital. The same midwife all the way through who was a voice of calm and reason amongst my mad panic - dd arrived 2.5 hours after we got there with just g&a - just me, dh & mw - and exactly how I wanted it smile

PortAndLemon Tue 22-Jul-08 16:11:37

Here's my most recent one

2point4kids Tue 22-Jul-08 16:13:06

I had a lovely 2nd birth at hospital.
Gas and air and an epidural.
Midwife was fantastic and really helpful.

YumeeMumee Tue 22-Jul-08 17:04:19

Another positive hospital birth experience here - with gas & air and TENS machine only :-)

Midwife was ok...but we ended up with a student midwife too who was FAB! She was very supportive and encouraging...I listened to her throughout and as a result, had a really good birthing experience.

Advice would be to be strong about your choices and preferences tho....my midwife tried to talk me into having an epidural but I didn't need it or want it! So much for my birthplan! Once I expressed this to her [between contractions] she got the message! ;-)

Good luck!

TillyScoutsmum Tue 22-Jul-08 17:08:12

Lovely hospital birth - private room for whole labour and after care. Great midwifes who were on hand if you needed them but weren't constantly "in your face" (until the latter parts obviously). Brilliant after care, help getting breastfeeding established etc.

My only complaint would be the food grin

betterhalf Tue 22-Jul-08 17:09:26

Well I ended up with a CS as baby was breech, but I still view it as a positive birth story. I had very little pain, breast fed, and held my baby in my arms straight away. It was lovely, although some wouldn't see it as positive.

jocesar Tue 22-Jul-08 18:15:12

Had amazing birth 2 wks ago in a pool in dorchester hospital. first labour, very quick, no pain meds needed, 13 mins pushing, no tearing, no stitches. Had done a hypnobirthing course prior.

laura325630 Tue 22-Jul-08 21:05:25

My dd is 6 weeks old tomorrow. She is my first and my labour was 2 hours long from when I got to hospital. Before that I had been having contractions but they werent painful. I only had time for gas and air which I loved!!

The hospital was fantastic and I felt very safe. We left the next day. I had a few stitches but they werent painful and healed after 2 weeks - A rubber ring is a must!!

I had my baby in Dorchester hospital aswell and they were brilliant!

I would do it again tomorrow but then I was 'lucky'. If I had a worse labour next time it would be worth it for the end result xx

TheOldestCat Tue 22-Jul-08 21:13:37

I had a great experience in Lewisham hospital - spent a lot of time in the pool in the birthing suite (which was ace) and only had to get out for the delivery because the contractions stopped at the transition stage.

Excellent midwives (one stayed five hours after shift to see DD born) who gave me the options at every stage and supported our choices, bantered with the doctors when they wanted to intervene and said 'give us five more minutes' - DD made it out into the world via a birthing stool!

Like funnypeculiar said, I felt the midwives were 'working with me' to help me have the baby, rather than dictating what should happen. Does that make sense?

And the most positive thing? The lovely, lovely gas and air. Doesn't work for everyone but hit the spot for me. Oh yes. That and the pool.

Good luck.

pedilia Tue 22-Jul-08 21:16:07

I have 4 DC's, the middle two were amazing hospital births with lovely midwives.
I delivered really quickly after arriving at the hospita and was out within a few hours.

AttillaTheHan Tue 22-Jul-08 21:19:37

I've had 2 very positive births, 4 years apart in different hospitals.

DC1 born in Leicester, 28 hour labour, I had just gas and air. The midwives were very supportive and I felt that they listened to us. I had a 3rd degree tear but was dealt with quickly and professionally.

Dc2 born in preston. 7 hour labour, I had just gas and air. Midwives and hospital staff really supportive and took great care to try to prevent another tear. We felt very looked after and felt that they listened to us.

I think if you are realisitic that a) it hurts like buggery grin b)there are no guarantees that you can stick to your birth plan and c)you need to strike a balance with the midwives between asserting your/your dw's preferences and leaving them to get on with it.

Although I wouldnt neccesarily choose to go through labour again tomorrow I feel very positive about our experiences and the fact we have 2 gorgeous children as a result.

ChezzaB Thu 24-Jul-08 21:44:32

I had a really lovely pregnancy and a fantastic hospital birth! MW's were fantastic and the whole thing was much less painful than I expected! I actually watched Home and Away and Neighbours while puffing on Gas and Air at 6 cm! Not saying it doesn't hurt but it really is worth it!
I had a 4.45 hour labour Scarborough MW fabulous, gas and air and pethidine at 7cm, 10lb DS no stitches!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now