Talk

Advanced search

Booking a home birth late on - possible?

(9 Posts)
Anglepoise Mon 21-Jul-08 21:11:25

I'm 32 weeks today and moving to a new area next week. I really want a home birth but have read a few posts today that have made me think it will be too late to be possible

I suspect that this is a pointless thread as the answer is probably wait and see what happens, but if anyone has any experience/advice then that would be very useful!

Yorky Mon 21-Jul-08 21:25:15

I can't see how it can be too late, you will have to have a booking in appt with your new midwife to bring her up to speed with your story so far, but if your blood pressure is OK and the baby seems to be in a good position I don't see why you can't have the birth you want?
Good luck

oxocube Mon 21-Jul-08 21:26:49

Yup, definitely possible. I did this 13 years ago at about 37/38 weeks. smile

I am 34 weeks and have an appointment with MW on wednesday.
I will be booking in for a Home Birth then.
I have found it impossible to book it any earlier for a few reasons.
Mainly because you hardly have any contact/appointments with MW.
My last appointment was at 28 weeks with a stand in Mw who couldnt answer any of my questions and queries I had regarding a HB. Therefore I have had to wait till this appointment to book in.

Also the MW said I have to wait till I am 37 weeks before they can give the go ahead so surely we cant be too late to book in.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

ScarletPimpernel1976 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:33:21

the hospital where i had my antenatal appointments wouldn't confirm a homebirth until 37 weeks when the baby would be full term so you should definately still be able to request one.

Anglepoise Mon 21-Jul-08 22:33:51

Thanks - feeling a lot more positive! Someone said on another thread that they left it late (at 30 weeks) and were told that there weren't enough midwives left hmm (hmming at their healthcare provider, not the poster!).

Fingers crossed then ...

Thankyouandgoodnight Tue 22-Jul-08 08:02:34

I booked mine at 36 weeks.

kazbeth Tue 22-Jul-08 10:02:13

It shouldn't be too late, no. They don't usually do anything about it until quite late on anyway as you just don't know how the pregnancy is going to go. I didn't get my first home birth chat until I was at least 36 weeks I think.

You may be told that there aren't enough midwives at any point but if you look on the homebirth.org.uk website there's some advice on there on what to do about that.

jennylindinha Tue 22-Jul-08 23:14:27

Ooh, I think it was me on the other thread! (I am 30 weeks and two CM teams have told me they are fully booked...)

Have left a message with the CMs at my hospital as one of the other teams told me they have a duty to provide a homebirth, so fingers crossed. I'm somewhat cheered by others who have said that their MWs won't do anything until 37 weeks anyway!

I'm sure that it can be done, so good luck to us all...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now