Advanced search

Anyone had an induction after a c section?

(20 Posts)
mydisguise Mon 21-Jul-08 15:49:55

Im 40+2 with 3rd baby
1st was emergency c section at 39+5
2nd vbac at 40+2

Im now 40+2 with baby 3 and starting to get nervous about induction as i really dont think im going to go into labour naturally. Ive had so many signs including a show thats neverending lol(started early hrs sat morning)but nothings happening.

I know that induction can lead to higher risk of scar rupture and intervention.

any1 had a induction after a c section? what happened? what did u get given?

nooka Mon 21-Jul-08 15:59:21

I had a syntocin drip to induce dd after an emergency c-section for ds (16mths earlier). It was very painful and scary, and it didn't work (1cm dilated after 6 hrs), and I ended up having another c-section. I think a pessary might not have been so bad (my waters broke three days earlier, so the choice was c-section or syntocin). I hope that you go into labour naturally and that it all goes well.

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 16:15:02

There are some midwives on here who say a woman who's had a previous csection shouldn't have IV induction - drips and the like.

I'd see a consultant!

hattyyellow Mon 21-Jul-08 16:16:55

My consultant said they wouldn't induce me if I went overdue in this pregnancy (hoping for VBAC). I think it was due to increased risk of rupture etc as you mention.

I think he said they would give me 10 days after due date to go into labour naturally otherwise it would be another section.

numptysmummy Mon 21-Jul-08 16:25:32

I went 19 days overdue after previous csection and was induced with a pessary. Was fine - they broke my waters and i gave birth fairly soon after. Was monitored the whole time which wasn't so good. I figured the longer i gave it the more likely induction would work. Next 21 days over,went into labour naturally and all was well. I was scanned every couple of days and agreed that if they didn't seem happy i would do whatever but both times they were happy babes who were enjoying the inside!

mydisguise Tue 22-Jul-08 07:49:11

Im starting to feel really worried as i had had both my other 2 by now

vbacqueen1 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:39:03

The World Health organisation classes full term as any where between 37-42 weeks so officially, you're not even overdue till you get to 42+1.
Statistically, the risk of uterine rupture is tiny if you wait to go into labour naturally. But if you factor in a chemical induction, the risk increases a LOT. You've also more risk of having another CS or assisted delivery (forceps/ventouse) if you're induced too.
If you can bear to wait and your baby is well, you'd be doing both of you a favour by waiting it out!
If you DO decide to go ahead with induction, there's a school of thought that says IV syntocinon is less risky than the pessary - if your uterus becomes hyperstimulated and/or your baby shows signs of distress, the drip can be turned down/off immediately. Once you've had the pessary, the outcome is unpredictable and you can't remove it once it's done its job - you just have to wait it out.

pluto Tue 22-Jul-08 23:14:29

MW is supportive of VBAC but says induction is not a possibility for the reasons others have posted. If I go over consultant will do a CS. That's fine by me.

SazzlesA Tue 22-Jul-08 23:16:40

Message withdrawn

mydisguise Wed 23-Jul-08 11:17:17

I see the midwife tomorrow so i guess we'll see what is said then. Im 40+4 now so the most pg ive ever been lol.

For ladies having first baby or consecutive following a vaginal birth my hospital policy is induction at term+10, so probs wont be allowed to go over that. Come out soon baby PLEASE!!!!

vbacqueen1 Wed 23-Jul-08 20:23:09

Please eliminate the word "allowed" from your vocabulary this instant! It doesn't make any difference what your hospital's usual policy is regarding induction - they can't induce without your express permission. If you and baby are fine and you don't want to be induced then you are within your rights to say so. You can opt for expectant management instead. And it's worth reminding them that you're not overdue until you get past 42 weeks.......

canofworms Wed 23-Jul-08 20:31:32

I had an induction after a cs for breech presentation. Had 2 pessaries and IV syntocin.

Whole experience was awful imo as took 12 hours for mild contractions to start - had a lot of monitoring in that time and ended up with epidural (didn't really want that), catheter, drip and continuous monitoring.

19 hours after contractions started had only got to 4cm and ended up emergency cs.

Klaw Wed 23-Jul-08 20:54:27

God no! Refused point blank to be induced. Had my VBAC at 42+1 after only 'allowing' sweeps.

Was booked in for Expectant Management if I'd gone any further.

Two Ruptures I've heard of recently were both after chemical induction but only one of them was after a previous CS shock

mydisguise Fri 25-Jul-08 17:49:31

well i needn't have worried, as at 40+5 baby Keira Mei made a hastey entrance into the world weighing 7lb 10oz birth was unbelieveable, will post birth story 4 those who want a very positive vbac story

wasabipeanut Fri 25-Jul-08 19:20:42

Oh mydisguise thats great news - congratulations! grin

fourlittlefeet Fri 25-Jul-08 19:28:41

congratulations, that is fantastic!

please can you link to it? I'm dreading the birth this time round as it'll be a first time vbac.

Klaw Fri 25-Jul-08 19:29:45

Congratulations, believe me the high will last forever!!!! wink

Gina80 Fri 25-Jul-08 19:35:55

Congratulations. Yes please link as I am hoping for vbac this time too smile

Mawma Fri 25-Jul-08 19:54:26

Fantastic news and welcome to baby Kiera, i love the name, my ds is kieran and would of taken the "n" away if it had been a girl. My ds was born emlucs and then went on to have a sucsessful vbac 4 yrs later, i was told that if baby didn't come by 40+10 then i would of had to have a planned c/s as under no terms would they induce me because of previous c/s, i can tell you i walked miles for 3 days and dd was born 4 days after my due date, after a 16 hr labour i begged the midwifes to break my waters and they did i'm so happy that they did listen and break my waters or i could of had another c/s, well done on your vbac for a second time

mydisguise Sun 27-Jul-08 20:48:15

birth story here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now