Talk

Advanced search

1st baby at home...

(9 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 21-Jul-08 15:03:49

are we mad to even contemplate it? have heard it's often better than subsequent ones because you tend to have a slower labour...am really edging more towards a homebirth but worried that I've never experienced labour before so not exactly sure what to expect

kazbeth Mon 21-Jul-08 15:12:36

Even if you have experienced labour before no two labours are going to necessarily be the same so I don't really understand the opinion that first births shouldn't be home births but it's ok for subsequent ones.

I had a home birth with my first. Best decision I made I think. Don't forget that you can always change your mind and opt to go to hospital at any time - even in the throes of labour

pinkspottywellies Mon 21-Jul-08 15:14:54

I wouldn't have wanted a home birth personally because of the (percieved) mess (although I understand from others that there isn't any!) and because I'm quite risk averse and the thought of being too far away from hospital in case anything went wrong was not something DH and I could contemplate.

However, I do know people who have had home births and found it a lovely experience, had no problems and been very calm and relaxed at home.

In terms of it being your first baby, I think it so much depends on the individual how labour goes - I would have been an ideal candidate for HB. I had no problems, no pain relief and it was all over very quickly and easily.

It is definitely thought that HB's tend to have fewer complications and interventions than hospital births, so I don't see why that wouldn't follow for a first birth. And I guess that you can always transfer to hospital if you feel the need.

Sorry if that's a bit waffly. Hope I've made some relevant points even though I haven't had a home birth!

crokky Mon 21-Jul-08 15:16:12

So long as you have no complications and live not too far from a hospital in case of emergency, it should be fine.

jennylindinha Mon 21-Jul-08 16:04:10

My partner and I recently decided that we would try for a HB for our first baby. Only trouble is that now I'm 30 weeks, all the midwife teams are booked up! Am going to talk to the hospital cm team though and hopefully we can still do it. I don't live far from the hospital (5 minutes!) which has been a consideration but having spoken to loads of people and heard really positive stories I am convinced that it is right for me and would be preferable than going to hospital.

I really like the idea of being at home, in control and not feeling pressurised into procedures to speed things up when it isn't necessary. Also, the thought of DP & I & the baby being able to sleep together in our own bed afterwards is a lovely one!

I think that even if I have to transfer (the transfer rate is around 40% for first-timers) the important thing is to have tried and at least had a comfortable labour in my own home.

Good luck with your choices! smile

Tinkerisdead Mon 21-Jul-08 16:16:33

Im planning a homebirth and this is my first. ive got an independant midwife as i was worried about midwives being booked up as jennylindinha describes.

I think this being my first was actually what makes me want a home birth, yes i dont know what to expect, yes i am scared etc. thats why its more important for me to be at home and make the environment as familiar as I can. Anything that helps me keep perspective and stay calm as possible can only help. so even if i dont make the delivery at home, to labour here will be half the battle won.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 21-Jul-08 16:53:50

I'm really keen on having a HB having done a fair amount of research, the one thing worrying me is the 1st time thing, but yeah I guess no two labours are going to be the same....good to know others have/are planning on it for their 1st too

ScarletPimpernel1976 Mon 21-Jul-08 17:13:07

No, you're not mad to consider it! If your pregnancy is normal there is no reason not to go for it. I had a HB for my first - loved it and would recommend it definately. All mess was cleaned up by midwives afterwards and i was cuddling on the sofa and then in my own bed within an hour of giving birth. No horrible hospital wards or food, partner by my side the whole time, total freedom to wonder around naked or make noise or whatever took my fancy during labour, same 2 midwives the whole time... Do it!

Yorky Mon 21-Jul-08 17:19:38

My first was a homebirth and it was lovely, have recommended it to everyone since! Had a pool and was the only one in my NCT group who didn't need stitches. You can relax and walk around as you need and not worry about how clean the loos are! It was so nice getting into our own comfy bed, me DH and very new DS cuddled up together

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now