Talk

Advanced search

What would you recommend wearing for a waterbirth ?

(23 Posts)
FoghornLeghorn Sun 20-Jul-08 21:44:19

Suddenly today the penny has dropped that in the next 3 weeks or so I will be giving birth again ....... I want to try and use the pool either for pain relief or for labouring but wtf do you wear ?

Not sure I want it all hanging out until it's really necessary!

sarah293 Sun 20-Jul-08 21:44:52

Message withdrawn

FabioTheWhisperingCat Sun 20-Jul-08 21:45:04

water wings
snorkel
hat

FoghornLeghorn Sun 20-Jul-08 21:46:36

You forgot flippers Fabio grin

Turniphead1 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:00:59

Nada! Normally very modest but couldn't give a toot when in labour. A T-shirt will make you cold.

ExtraFancy Sun 20-Jul-08 22:02:44

I wore a Sloggi bra/crop top thing and it was v comfy. I ended up giving birth on the bed but never got round to taking it off...mmm, soggy!

nobodysfool Sun 20-Jul-08 22:03:47

A tankini top for your modesty?

lou031205 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:08:44

Modesty... hahahahahahhaha grin

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 20-Jul-08 22:12:20

I'm not that worried about modesty (spent last labour modestly dressed in a tshirt and then wandered around starkers for about an hour after DS was born - heatwave tho).

However, this time round am considering a pool and just know that if I don't wear some kind of bra top that my comedically large norks will bob about in the water and quite put me off my breathing and mooing...

Am considering a tankini thing...

SilentTerror Sun 20-Jul-08 22:15:51

Ididn't wear anything,I was so hot tbh.
Didn't really care about baring all by that stage!
DH and I were alone for most of the labour anyway.

treacletart Sun 20-Jul-08 22:17:45

For dd's birth last August I wore a strapless smocked sundress type thing for pacing around the pool and groaning in and then nada in the water - you won't be worried about modesty and I think its nice to have your norks ready and naked skin waiting for your little one and that all important first cuddle.

nobodysfool Sun 20-Jul-08 22:18:54

Whays wrong with modesty?
i wore and tshirt in the birthing pool.
Even though i had my lady bits out i didnt want my boobs out as well!Believe me i was more than use to every staff member having a look at whatever they wanted,i was in labour for 36 hours.

aGalChangedHerName Sun 20-Jul-08 22:20:06

I wore a bra top so my tits were not wobbling around but my bottom half was naked.

You won't care tbh smile

Libra1975 Mon 21-Jul-08 15:44:56

t-shirt is not recommended as the material out of the water will be cold and heavy. A spagetti strap vest (and you can get them with built-in support) is the best bet I think if you do want to wear something.

FoghornLeghorn Mon 21-Jul-08 19:41:40

Thanks all

FWIW, I'm not a naive first timer, this is my 3rd and having all and sundry on display when required doesn't phase me in the slightest !
Initially I had thought of one of DH's tshirts but then the wetness cropped into my head. A spaghetti strap vest is a good idea, I wore one labouring with DD2

Elkat Mon 21-Jul-08 19:53:13

I wore a vest top and felt it covered me up enough, (I would have cared being naked!) but wasn't heavy or cold in the water. HTH

2Princess Mon 21-Jul-08 20:42:36

Nothing, I went completely butt naked and I didn't care in the least. Never even thought about putting anything on and it was the best possible choice, well I didn't even think about it, I just got in as DD2 was quickly on her way!

Though it was the best feeling in the world lying in the warm water after such a strenuous activity! and being given my daughter and holding her for the first tie up against my skin.....precious.

AlbertaWildRose Mon 21-Jul-08 20:47:15

I wore a two-piece tankini top swim suit, with the bottom half off for most of it. Towards the end I took the top off to get ready for DS to be put onto my chest. I don't think I would have wanted to be completely naked throughout!

Ceolas Mon 21-Jul-08 20:52:32

I was completely naked, but only in there for half an hour! I planned to be in longer, but didn't think I'd really care.

milknosugar Mon 21-Jul-08 20:55:22

i got in wearing a nightie but stripped before i sat down, i didnt want the fabric annoying me. wear whatever you like but as usual be prepared for that to change by the minute. good luck, water births are fab

niki1 Wed 23-Jul-08 09:50:34

i will be going for a tankini top.thought about a croptop/bra but tankini material is atleast made to be in the water etc.have talked to friends about this,they think im mad to even care about not being butt naked...but i do!!! i know i will feel more comfy with a tankini top on!

mamamelly Wed 23-Jul-08 10:08:22

I got in with a bra, did get very cold once it got wet, ended up birthing in a squat outside the pool, so keep options open!!

mishymoo Wed 23-Jul-08 10:13:35

I was going to wear one of those swimming costume tankini type tops - but didn't have time to get birthing pool ready!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now