Talk

Advanced search

what do I do with dc1 when I go into labour with dc2??

(9 Posts)
billyog Sun 20-Jul-08 21:32:53

Dh and I just discussing the logistics of my forthcoming labour. We don't have any family close by. We have friends, one of which has offered to take ds when I go into labour but ds doesn't really know her and I think it would make labour even worse by worrying bout him. i could opt for homebirth which would make life easier but then if I need to go to hosp dh would either have to stay at home or bring ds with us! Ds goes to nursery and if I'm fortunate enough to go into labour mon-fri/ 9-5 ds could go there but.... Anyone else been in a similiar situation??

foxythesnowfox Sun 20-Jul-08 21:38:10

I went for a homebirth with DCs 2, 3 and 4 and would recommend it. Its far less distruptive for the other children too. I've managed (somehow) to stave off active labour until the children were sorted (last time with DC4 was a bit of a close call!). A bit of mind over matter goes a long way grin

Do you have a neighbour who could help? Or a friend who could come to you when things get going and look after him in your house?

hedgepig Sun 20-Jul-08 21:41:28

A couple of thoughts. why not ask at the nursery if one of the nursery nurses would be available for emergency cover. I know some nursery nurses do baby sitting so there may be someone who could help for a one off situation? Then you DS should hopefully know the person who comes to stay over?? How long have you got before you are due? the alternative is if here is time get you friend to know DS better, if its in the night then he will be asleep anyway and maybe your DH would be home by the time he woke up smile

Jas Sun 20-Jul-08 21:42:05

I planned a home birth for dd2, but ended up going to hospital, and left dd1 with a neighbour (who we knew, but she didn't) until my parents could come and get her (2 hour drive for them)

She was not bothered at all, but was only 15 months herself at the time. How old is ds?
Can you get him used to being with some one els/explain to him? Do you have a friend who could come to your house and stay if you have to leave in the night?

billyog Sun 20-Jul-08 21:56:33

The nursery nurse is an option, they babysit for us already so I will ask them. The two possible friends both have dc of their own so wud have ds at their house but don't think i could ask them to come to mine. Dropping ds off at theirs is probably the easiest solution but am concerned how ds would react. He'll be 28mths. Suppose he'll be old enough for me to explain whats going on though! I'm only 23 wks so have lots of time to have a few contingency plans in place. The worst case senario is that dh and ds sit outside the delivery suite while I do the business.

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sun 20-Jul-08 22:05:13

do you have any neighbours?
or as you are only 23 weeks you have time to make sure dc1 gets to know the friends who have offered?

ilovemydog Sun 20-Jul-08 22:13:33

my friend had a homebirth. She went into labor in the evening and her DS (aged 2) didn't wake up.

Could you get a nanny at short notice to take care of DS?

Pannacotta Sun 20-Jul-08 22:13:56

I had a home birth for both DSs but it was esp nice with DS2 as I went in proper labour at around 9, DS2 was born at 4 and DS1 was up at 7 and came down to meet his new baby brother.
Think home birth is lovely and less disruptive if it suits you.
(Its also lovely to have your own bathroom/privacy/surroundings and to get into your own bed at the end of it...)

Wisknit Mon 21-Jul-08 10:40:31

had a HomeBirth and DS1 slept through the whole thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now