Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hypnotbirthing - I'm interested but in no way have £200+ to pay for classes...

(13 Posts)
hopefully Thu 17-Jul-08 13:54:06

Is it worth just buying a book/CD and attempting to teach myself some of the ideas? Or is it only really worth it if I can scrape together the money for classes?

And if it's worth buying a book/CD, has anyone got any recommendations?

marjean Thu 17-Jul-08 14:30:47

I'd highly recommend natal hypnotherapy cd - I bought it online for about £15. It's obviously difficult to attribute any aspect of my experiences to the cd but I've had two home births - one with tens and gas and air and the other with no pain relief. The breathing and visualisation techniques were my main form of coping and worked a treat - and it made me feel very relaxed and positive prior to the births.

MKG Thu 17-Jul-08 14:37:35

I recommend the "Hypnobirthing: the Mongan Method" by Marie Mongan. The book has scripts to practice and it is very easy to read.

Pinchypants Thu 17-Jul-08 14:37:48

Second the Natal Hypnotherapy CDs. Whole course (relaxation, prep for birth, birth music, post-birth) bout £60 but you only really need the preparation for birth one, £16. Listen 20+ times from week 32. Highly recommended as per Marjean.

SueW Thu 17-Jul-08 14:40:31

Have a look at what people are offering.

Here in the Midlands, for example, Hypnurture are offering various formats which can be linked in with other classes you are doing.

I see they are also offering CDs for sale and they have some free downloads too.

Guadalupe Thu 17-Jul-08 14:40:34

I paid £50 to see a hypnotherapist, she did the session and recorded it. It didn't work, unfortunately, as when I did it at home and was most relaxed she told me not to eat chips!

She replaced the cd the next day, apologised for the mix up but after that I laughed every time I listened so not much good.

I have heard good things about the Natal hypnotherapy cds though.

Yorky Thu 17-Jul-08 14:43:48

Another vote for natal hypnothereapy CDs
Didn't actually have a hypnobirth but the relaxation techniques were great, also VERY useful when your pregnant batteries aren't duracell, a half hour with the CD and I feel better than if I'd had a 2hr nap!
Pick up from ebay

expatinscotland Thu 17-Jul-08 14:47:18

the natal CD is what i'm using.

hopefully Thu 17-Jul-08 15:06:19

Fantastic, thanks for the thoughts. Was worried everyone would say it totally wasn't worth it if I wasn't prepared to stump up for a course!

Will look on Ebay for natal hypnotherapy and mongan method.

poppy34 Thu 17-Jul-08 17:07:46

would agree with yorky that good for pre term naps.. whether it makes it better/worse in labour I'm not sure.. I did use it during laour and got a reasonable way with just a tens ... what I would say is it didnt take away anything completely.. I am not sure if the course was worth it as think cold ahve got same effect from cd/book

Poohbah Thu 17-Jul-08 18:04:01

www.natalhypnotherapy.com I should be on comission!!! I've lent to my friends aswell.

So far...

6 hours, no pain, no pain relief.
5 hours, pain but no pain relief.
12 hours, homebirth, pethidine but very calm.
3 hours, no pain, no pain relief.

That's not a bad tally really is it. Different births and different experiences but all ending quite sucessfully.

Poohbah Thu 17-Jul-08 18:04:55

A tens might interfere with hypnobirthing I believe.

Aubergenie Thu 17-Jul-08 18:10:45

It might be worth getting in touch with a hypnobirthing teacher and explaining that the finances are an issue. We looked into classes and decided they were too expensive. When I explained to the teacher why we had decided against it, she gave us a half price place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now