Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take to fill a birth pool?

(17 Posts)
feb Wed 16-Jul-08 14:20:05

Title says it all really...

If you had a home birth what kind of pool did you use and how long did it take to fill it?

was it a faff keeping the pool the right temp?

I read somewhere the birth pool in a box takes 2-3 hrs to fill. My 1st labour was 3 1/2 hrs so if this one is shorter it'll all be over and done with before I get in!

tia

princessofpower Wed 16-Jul-08 14:30:06

Message withdrawn

TooTiredToday Wed 16-Jul-08 14:31:19

ages and ages! Dh spent ages on it tho we didn't actually open the box until I was in labour. V clear instructions about timings for everything (incl how long to read instructions!) but we didn't have that long!. so dc3 born sort of in birth pool but water only up to my ankles...

btw it was a birth pool - in - a - box. Fab.

Pidge Wed 16-Jul-08 14:34:54

Depends on your water pressure I suppose - I think ours only took half an hour to fill. And it was a big hire one from Splashdown.

But if you are worried about a quick labour - a friend of mine got one of the ones you can pre-fill and then keep warm with a heater. That way you've got peace of mind.

feb Wed 16-Jul-08 14:38:22

I had a few twinges for a couple of hours, then it was 3 1/2 hrs from regular contractions.

blot4 Wed 16-Jul-08 14:49:25

For us it all came down to the tap attachment. We also had a pool from Splashdown www.waterbirth.co.uk but the tap adaptor was hopeless and dh ended up filling it up with a bucket. Even so, I don't think it took more than an hour.

I would start filling it as soon as you know labour's starting given your short labour. The Splashdown pools come with a lid to keep the temperature up, but I can't comment about birth pool in a box.

I used Splashdown's inflatable pool. It was great. You hire it for about a month (from 2wks before EDD) and they actually delivered mine for no charge (normally you go and pick them up from a local distributor or pay for delivery). I found it really comfortable because the sides were not too hard, so it was great to lean on (while biting very hard on the G&A mouthpiece). The MW said it was the best she'd seen and found it v comfy to lean over.

princessofpower Wed 16-Jul-08 15:58:21

Message withdrawn

feb Wed 16-Jul-08 17:34:31

i like the lounging idea
there are so many different pools out there, i'll have to do some more research.
thanks

ninja Wed 16-Jul-08 18:27:39

Hi Feb, I've been thinking of getting a birthpool this time (but I had a Looooong labour so not the same worries as you!!)

Just thought I'd direct you to my thread as well as there are lots of great responses from people. The homebirth website also has a lot of information but you can't beat mumsnet for trusting the advice!!

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 16-Jul-08 18:29:03

Dh reckons ours took about 15 minutes to fill but upon the look on my face he has adjusted his estimate to an hour

feb Wed 16-Jul-08 19:59:07

thanks ninja i'll take a look.

i'm quite shocked how expensive some of them are

ninja Wed 16-Jul-08 20:51:25

I think it's actually cheaper to buy the pool in a box than any of the hires. I reckon it'll be about £100 with delivery and the basic kit (someone said the emptying pump not necessary) then at least you've got something that you can use or sell on.

From what everyone's said, and considering my long distressing labour first time I think it's worth it, I agree about the price of soem of the hire ones.

When are you due?

feb Thu 17-Jul-08 18:49:03

not due till december so plenty of time.
DH reckons we should spend the money and get a heated pool, but I really can't see that its worth it.
He is worried he will have to look after DS and monitor the water temp and won't be able to cope. bloody men! its all about them!

twocutedarlings Thu 17-Jul-08 21:50:02

Just been having a nose around and found this company, has anyone else used them??

Aquabubs

The pool looks fab!! cheap for what you get to.

ninja Fri 18-Jul-08 12:26:20

We're lucky and have a combi boiler so I reckon we'll be alright filling it, and as I say I had plenty of time last time!

The warmed pools do sound great though, the 'what kind of pool' section on the homebirth website has a lot of people writing about their experiences in different pools.

bohemianbint Fri 18-Jul-08 12:30:07

I think our birth pool in a box took less than an hour to inflate, but only because it took DH 20 mins to realise that we actually had an electric pump and didn't have to blow it up himself. grin Not sure how long it took to fill but I also had a very quick labour so by the time it was ready I had no chance of making it down the stairs so DS was born on the bed instead.

Am determined to get in it this time!

ib Fri 18-Jul-08 12:32:28

We filled the pool on first twinges to about half way with water as hot as could make it, then put the cover on. When I wanted to get in we just topped up with the right temperature water. Didn't need any more hot water after (I was in pool for about 4 hs).

Was bpiab btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now