Talk

Advanced search

Homebirth: I'm very upset!

(82 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 16:49:03

Message withdrawn

JulesJules Tue 15-Jul-08 16:53:55

Blimey, they really don't want to do it, do they? Poor you. Can you go higher up, over CMW? Have you got a good HV or GP who will support you? Apart from that or independent MW, I don't know, sorry. Good luck.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 15-Jul-08 17:00:27

I don't know how far you can go in terms of your 'rights' but when I had a homebirth planned, they dropped off 4 canisters of G&A and the homebirth kit at 37 weeks, and left me the option of getting a pethidine prescription, with none of this ^maybe/mightdo crap. Can you not insist on something similar?

Really feel for you, but not too sure where you can turn.

Is a hospital even a slight possibilty if the G&A and pethidine are that important to you?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:01:57

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:03:47

Message withdrawn

lulumama Tue 15-Jul-08 17:03:49

please contact AIMS immediately and the supervisor of midwives

it is nonsensical to put such stupid conditions on home birth , to the point a mother feels she will not be able to labour under those conditiosn at home

they have notice now you want a homebirth with enough gas and ir and possibly meptid or pethidine

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pruners Tue 15-Jul-08 17:05:40

Message withdrawn

OurHamsterisevil Tue 15-Jul-08 17:08:00

Oh poor you. I really feel for you sad

When I had my HB the mw drooped off 2 canisters of entonox at 38 weeks, and a canister of oxygen, just in case the baby needed it. You really need to find out who the supervisor is, and asap. It may be the senior mw at the local hospital that is the supervisor, even though its a cmw. So you could try there.

I don't understand why they wouldn't talk to you about it before now. My mw wanted to know asap so she could start on all the paperwork and get things going in the system. It really sounds like they are doing everything possible to stop you having an hb.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 15-Jul-08 17:08:47

Maybe you should point out the health and safety implications involved in you clubbing the MW round the head with the canister once the G&A runs out? wink

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:12:20

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:16:46

Message withdrawn

booge Tue 15-Jul-08 17:17:07

Our CMW wouldn't administer pethidine but I had plenty of gas and air.

Celery Tue 15-Jul-08 17:18:05

I ran out of G&A during my first homebirth, and it was horrible. I did get through a lot of the stuff though, atleast an hours worth before it ran out. The second time I was really really twitchy about the whole running out again scenario, because it truly was horrible, and the midwives were lovely, and even though they were only allowed to carry 2 canisters in their car, one of them went back to the hospital to collect more for me early on in labour "just in case". As it turned out, G&A did absolutely nothing for me that time, very odd.

lulumama Tue 15-Jul-08 17:19:33

please look at the aims site www.aims.org.uk they can help re your rights for homebirht

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:21:29

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:23:34

Message withdrawn

lulumama Tue 15-Jul-08 17:27:37

stop it right now !!

you hvae your doula?

think about TENS, massage and mobbilising and vocalising to get you through it

and get onto AIMS

hve never heard of such minute quanities of gas and air being provided

you do not have to transfer in

you will not fail

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:28:41

Message withdrawn

Joolyjoolyjoo Tue 15-Jul-08 17:33:31

Sounds to me like they are trying everything in their power to put you off!! I vaguely discussed hb with my mw while preg with dd2, and was told that I'd be lucky- there were so many women ready to pop around my due date, and lots of them wanted hb's. It twigged when the mw explained that if you have a patient who wants a hb she has to be on call 2 wks before and up to 2 wks after your due date, which is obviously going to be more hassle than doing your shift in the hospital then going home when it is finished!! I'm guessing the real reason is that MWs are peed off atm with all the shortages and new provcedures/ paperwork etc that the sad fact is that women wanting a hb are a whole lot more hassle for them, and they don't want it.

That's not your problem, however! Take all this gloom and doom with a pinch of salt. My friend had a hb, and I'm sure they droped off at least 2 canisters of G+A a few days in advance, and then brought one with them- can they do that? Or could you source some G+A yourself, on prescription as such??? I think it sounds like they are being awkward, which is a real pain, cos you don't want someone awkward there! However, it might well be a different (and lovely!) MW who would attend you at the end up (they work in pairs, it seems, like good cop/ bad cop!)

I really hope you get the birth you want. Don't let them undermine your confidence like this. Good luck!

susie100 Tue 15-Jul-08 17:35:17

Can you get an IM at late notice? Lots will provide you reduced fees/services in kind arrangement if you can't afford it.

They will bring LOADS of gas and air, pethidine etc. Mine were fab (I needed hald a canister just to get through the stiching much worse than givng birth IME!)

I was mucked about by community midwifes and just did not have the fight left in me and got an IM at the last moment. Best thing ever as I did not have to worry about fighting a battle (not the right conditions for labour).

I have read your threads before and I can see why you are so concerned about this. How staggeringly unhelpful of the midwife and I can't really believe they would only bring 10 mins worth of gas and air?

Pruners Tue 15-Jul-08 17:51:18

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now