Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask for cs rather than induction? Very very scared ...

(23 Posts)
BorgLady Tue 15-Jul-08 15:33:54

Okay, I realise I am going to get totally flamed for asking this , but I'm 40 weeks today with no sign of anything happening, and I REALLY don't want to be induced.

A few weeks back I had a stay in an antenatal ward and there were two women there at the same time who were being induced and tbh it seemed AWFUL.

Both of them cried, were left alone a lot, the staff were really busy and they both seemed scared as hell. Their partners couldn't stay with them after a certain time and all the visitors etc on the ward seemed so intrusive with only a curtain to separate you.

I know that inductions are an unnatural way to go into labour because they make things quicker and more intense than the natural process would be, so why in god's name aren't people taken care of properly?

Because I could hear everything, I know they told one of the women that if the prostin etc failed then she would be given a cs.

Can you just skip to that without all the hours of pain and humiliation in between? Can I refuse an induction? Is it dangerous if I do so?

Please please please don't have a go at me about this, I know that's what usually happens when someone mentions elective cs on a first baby. I only want a little advice on something that terrifies me and I'm perfectly willing to hear about alternatives.

TIA

littlepinkpixie Tue 15-Jul-08 15:39:46

There is still a good chance that you will go into labour in the next 10 days. Not really likely that it would happen before 40 weeks with a first baby anyway.
You can refuse induction if you dont want it. One option is to ask for regular monitoring past T+10 to ensure that the baby is still happy, and wait for labour to start on its own.
You are right, much better to go into labour naturally, though I do know some people who have had very easy indutions, and much quicker labours than the people who werent induced.
My personal opinion is that it is probably better to avoid a CS if you can, better for you and the baby, but also if you are at a hospital that seems to leave people alone and doesnt give them much help, that is the last place I would want to be dealing with a CS recovery, and caring for a newborn.

twolittletinkers Tue 15-Jul-08 15:47:33

I had an elective cs (for different reasons) with my first baby and it was as good a surgical experience as you could wish for smile

Good luck with yours and don't apologise to anybody for wanting a cs. The choices you make for your childbirth are a very personal thing and you should be able to have the experience that is right for you.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 15-Jul-08 15:48:06

I have been induced twice, will go into detail if you want, but the round up is that both were fine, no other interventions other than the gel to start me off, and fairly quick labours to boot.

If I needed inducing with this one again I wouldn't be worried about it, I would however worry about a CS, but then that is the unknown, and I think most people are nervous of the unknown.

BorgLady Tue 15-Jul-08 15:49:28

Thank you for being so kind. I'm having a sweep on Friday if nothing has happened, so hopefully that will kick things off.

Just having a moment of panic but I'm sure it will pass. I just don't believe my body will know what to do without some sort of medical help!

You're right, I don't want a cs if I can avoid it, I want to enjoy my baby, not be recovering from surgery, but the induction thing scared me loads!

I just want my baby and at this point it doesn't seem as though there's a nice way to get him out!

twofalls Tue 15-Jul-08 15:50:37

borglady, I understand why you are so scared and worried about this. I was desperate not to be induced and was really scared about it. I cried when I went into hospital and was just so upset by the whole thing. However, although I had to have the gel, then my waters broken, then the drip I still think I recovered a lot quicker than if I'd had a c/s (a friend has just had a c/s with her second and said it was far less preferable than being induced as with her first). Once I accepted that that was the path I was on, I just got on with it really and focussed on meeting my baby.

As littlepinkpixie said, you can ask for continual monitoring which I considered. I decided not to because quite frankly I was fed up and couldn't face the trip to the hospital everyday, but that is an option.

For some woman, induction can go really well and quickly - it just depends on how ready you are I suppose. Friends of mine just had the gel and they were off. Others just had their waters broken and a few hours later they had their babies. It is over-medicalised but far less so than a c/s and if I had the choice again, I would still go for an induction.

Remember that you only hear and see the horror stories, people don't generally talk about their positive experiences and there is nothing to say that if you are induced, that you experience will be a bad one.

And you may well go into labour naturally in the next 2 weeks.

Can you talk to your midwife about your fears? Hopefully she will help allay them.

Klaw Tue 15-Jul-08 15:51:34

IF you get to 42wks then you could reasonably say I want CS please. You could ask for a VE to get the Bishops Score and if it was lower than 8 you could definitely say elCS. If it was higher you might like to consider careful induction.

You could consider Expectant Management and wait for spontaneous onset of labour past 42wks.

I am a VBACer, and would not consider elCS without good medical reason. But if it's between elCS and induction I'd be very tempted to elCS than risk induction.

You won't be flamed for considering elCS when going overdue, but remember that Term is classed as anything between 37 and 42 wks, so you're not technically overdue till 42+1.

I get very annoyed at women being induced merely for going past an arbitrary date, there needs to be a good medical reason. Somen women just cook their babies longer than others. And Expectant Management is an option that should be considered.

Induction on a first time mother does have increased risk of CS so I can see your point in going straight to CS.

However as you're only 40wks now I'd say to try not to worry about it yet as you've still got 2 wks and most mums tend to go into labour by around 41wks.

Stay calm, stay warm, stay well hydrated, get plenty of rest but also some good brisk exercise, watch some good comedies, make sure you're in bed early, dim the lights in the eve, have a soak in the bath, get dh to give you a nice massage as often as possible, have a nice lunch with your best friend, get a pedicure.... get my drigt? wink

Stay strong

lou031205 Tue 15-Jul-08 16:03:09

Just a quick reassurance:

First labour induced with bishops score of 3 at 39+6, 4 hour labour with gas and air.

2nd labour induced with bishops score of 5 at 35+3, 7 hour labour with gas and air and pethidine.

Totally manageable, no intervention, 2nd degree tear with 1st labour (arm by head as exiting), but nothing with 2nd.

witchandchips Tue 15-Jul-08 16:14:34

I wouldn't worry about it yet as still very early days (in france you would not be considered due for another week). Do talk through options with your midwife at the next visit though and find out their policies on when + why they induce.

bookthief Tue 15-Jul-08 16:26:03

I felt the same as you BorgLady at 40wks. I had an attempted sweep and I was nowhere near ready. At 10 days over I went back in to be induced, convinced that it was going to fail, lead to interventions and eventually CS.

It really was ok. My cervix was much more favourable by that point and I only needed one lot of gel. Basically it only took 4 hours after my waters broke (after about 5 hours of very manageable contractions). After my waters broke I was sent up to the labour ward and they phoned dh but really, the first bit on the antenatal ward was fine.

You've got lots of options and it's your decision. Just try not to worry about it just now when you've got a couple of weeks for things to move along. You're going to have your baby soon one way or another - that's so exciting. I'm really jealous!

witchandchips Tue 15-Jul-08 16:36:34

I was induced at 42 weeks with a bishops score of 0 or 1. 40 hours of labour ending in emergency c-section. At the end you don't care the important thing is that you've got a lovely baby but i still think they could have called time a bit sooner smile. I think you find out about what their induction procedure is and write a birthplan to make your feelings known. Mine was useless as based round a natural birth.

BorgLady Tue 15-Jul-08 17:30:51

Thanks everyone for being so lovely. Thanks for the link to the Bishops Score thing too, I didn't realise there was such a thing.

I know that my hospital won't let me go more than 10 days overdue. My mw told me that they will book my induction when I go for the sweep on Friday. Presumably they will tell me all about what will happen then.

I will ask about what my Bishop's Score is and find out all my options.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I'd be a nervous wreck!

MamaG Tue 15-Jul-08 17:33:57

Like NJ I've been induced twice and both were fine Had an epidural with DD but only becuase the labour was loooong and I was v tired. Nothing with DS. I'm pregnant too and won't be worried if I have to be induced again

Idobelieveinfairies Tue 15-Jul-08 17:35:04

Induction stories can be horrid, but from personal experience when you are induced for being over-due usually it will ahppen with out much fuss. It's when you have to be induced bang on 40 weeks or earlier because of medical reasons then it can be a bit harder.

I had no signs of any labour at 40 weeks either, and bang on 42 weeks it started. So you still have a good while to wait wink

susie100 Tue 15-Jul-08 17:40:37

I think Klaw has summed it up, you can just say no to induction and ask to be closely monitored. I had geared myself up to this after reading the stats at our local hospital - 50% of inductions lead to C Section there.

I really believe that unless there is medical reason to induce you are better off being very closely monitored and letting nature take its course. Your due date is an average and a completely random date in many ways.

In France your dd is calculated at 41 weeks.
You may have a longer or shorter cycle. DAtes based on scans can be very inaccurate etc.
The hospital won't LET YOU do anything it is up to you you don't have to be induced.
I found this article on induction very helpful .http://www.kentmidwiferypractice.co.uk/2006/induction.htm

Chances are you will be in labour before then anyway!!

Good luck

AtheneNoctua Tue 15-Jul-08 17:46:18

I'd take a section over an induction any day. Only one of these procedures prevents the other from happening. The last thing I would ever want is an induction and a section.

I personally would not allow an induction without them first telling my why they felt 1- I should have gone into labour and 2- Why I hadn't. If the baby is not engaged, I would for a scan to show me where the cord is and if it was likely that the head was too big to engage. If they wouldn't accommodate this wish, I'd tell them to keep their induction plans to themself.

Also, did they tell you that the sweep would come with a bit of discomfort or that it might be bloody painful. Mine hurt like Hell. I'd never consent to that again. Other people have them and say they weren't bad. Apparently they are only likely to work if you are near ready to go into labour anyway. And thet is also when it doesn't hurt very much. So, if you find it painful it probably means you weren't ready and it won't work.

I'm sorry if you don't want to hear this. I wish someone had told me the truth before I blindly went down a path of failed induction turned crash section.

Oh, if they do scan you and say head is good size and cord is out of the way, then I think industion is not so bad (if you want a vaaginal birth).

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:52:17

Message withdrawn

Klaw Tue 15-Jul-08 17:57:07

"By BorgLady on Tue 15-Jul-08 17:30:51

I know that my hospital won't let me go more than 10 days"

Actually the hospital only has a policy of induction at 40+10. YOU do not have to accept their kind offer of induction if you do not want to be induced. YOU can state your preference of Expectant Management, or elCS or whatever you want really.

So many mums think that the docs will 'allow' this or wont 'allow' that, when it is actually YOUR choice. They just have policies to guide them but you can make up your own mind.

You won't get a row for making your own choice, they won't come and drag you in, they simply like to know that you have made an informed choice and then should respect that choice. Sometimes they get a bit heavy handed with stating the risks, as in "your baby will die if you don't induce by 40+10" and might forget to elaborate on the risks of induction, in which your uterus can rupture, your baby might die, you might end up with an emCS, and maybe even a hysterectomy.... do you see what I mean? There ARE risks to childbirth which ever route it takes and you need to know the risks of each route so that you can decide which risks you are willing to take.

ALL these risks (apart fro the CS one), incidently, are pretty minute, and you are most likly to have a straightforward birth.

Stay strong smile

Mummyfor3 Tue 15-Jul-08 18:27:37

Poor BorgLady, chin up, smile!!

Here are my birth experiences, totally different each time, and will of course not apply to you, but I thought they might give you different perspective:

DS1: induction at 42 weeks, I had Prostin suppositories x2, laboured over night, found TENS helpful to a point, then had epidural which slowed labour down but gave blissful comfort and allowed me to at least acknoledge DH presence wink. Neede Syntocinon as labour slowed down after epidural. Had vaginal delivery of healthy baby and felt I had a good experience.

DS2: had a semi-elective section in that I knew from 25 weeks that he would have to be delivered operatively as I had placenta preavia and bled heavily on a few occasions. Had spinal anaesthetic for delivery in theatre at 31 weeks. Recovery sore, but manageable - until I came home to boisterous 1 yr old... Now healthy 4 yr old wink.

DS3: I was VERY keen to avoid further section unless medically necessary as recovery after a vaginal birth is SO MUCH FASTER. With supportive consultant went to 41 weeks and 5 days, went into labour spontanously, had no pain relief apart from Gas and Air (and some morphine for stitching..), whole thing took 5 hrs form first pain to babe in arms. Absolutely brilliant experience! I am seriously considering a 4th child to (hopefully) repeat the rush I had.

Sorry, I am rambling, but message to you is: CS is not easier/more dignified/safer than good induction. An induced labour can be more sore and can have a tail of other interventions in its wake (epidural, Syntocinon etc etc), however once baby is out it is all over - or it all starts: life as a family.

If there is no medical reason to not let you go to 42 weeks at least, then stick to you guns. I did loads of things to try and increase my chances of vaginal delivery (without induction due to my previous section scar): I walked for miles (as slow as a snail as big as a bus), watched TV on my hands and knees grin, had acupuncture, took Raspberry Leaf Tea, had hot curries, but could not face having sex blush. In the end I think what worked for me was a very vigorous "membrane sweep" by experienced registrar followed by lots of physical activity in 42nd week. This is only possible if your cervix is "favourable" - see Bishop Score.

Right, I'll shut up. V good luck to you, I hope you have the delivery you would like. It helped me to think that whatever happened, delivery will pass, one way or another. And then life with a baby starts, and belive you me, that is a whole other shooting match....

smilesmilesmile
Do not be scared
Do not let anybody bully you just because something is "policy"
Be well informed
In the end let nature do her thing.

BorgLady Tue 15-Jul-08 19:43:07

I don't think the extra monitoring would be practical in my case sadly, as I live a good half hour from the hospital and have no transport unless DP takes time off work. How often would I have to go in for the baby to be monitored post the ten day mark?

I think the thing I am most worried about is the labour feeling beyond my control. I've had panic attacks in the past (though not since being pg thankfully!) and the absolute last thing I want is to be dealing with that as well as labour. Induction really seems like a total loss of control and I've heard so many bad things about people needing pain relief and not getting it that I really really want to avoid it.

To top it all I have Group B Strep too, so I'm not looking forward to the drip and extra monitoring.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences of induction. No one I know in RL has had one, so it's really good to read some real life experiences. Thank you for being so honest.

kiskidee Tue 15-Jul-08 19:51:34

Don't apologise borglady. I barefacedly told my consultant today that if I don't get a homebirth for whatever reason, then they will have to give me a c/s because there is no way I will have an induction again.

The only reason I intend to go into hospital is for medical complications and it means c/s. what you observed was pretty much what I experienced, and some, the first time round.

susie100 Thu 17-Jul-08 14:52:25

Borglady I think you go in every day.

Not medically qualified but maybe group b strep adds some more risk to going overdue?

I have seen on other threads that a homemade pessary of garlic wrapped in muslin works in getting rid of strep B. No idea if this true but can't do any harm I suppose?

Good luck and I bet you will go into labour before then anyway.
Keep us posted.

BorgLady Sat 19-Jul-08 23:12:46

I had sweep yesterday, and consultant said that cervix was softening. Had a couple of contractions after, but nothing to write home about since.

They booked my inductiuon right after and talked me through it all. Said that they can give me something to counter the effects of the gel if it is too nasty, and that they won't do anything I'm not happy with.

She reassured me that it's very rare for labour to go 0-60 very quickly even with induction and that did make me feel better.

I've agreed to it because it's not practical to go for extra monitoring and because I just want the pregnancy over! If I have a cs I'm adding tons of recovery time onto it and I just want to get back to my old self again.

Of course, it's still early days, I'm only 40+4 and baby's head is fully engaged so there's every chance it will happen naturally.

Everyone else that was booked in for induction on that day had been crossed out because their babies had arrived already so that gives me hope.

Thanks again everyone! Feel free to disagree if you think I've made the wrong decision though, there's still time for me to change my mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now