Talk

Advanced search

If you've had one episiotomy, do you have to have another one?

(15 Posts)
hairymcleary Tue 15-Jul-08 03:30:53

DS was ventouse delivery, so I had to have an episiotomy. Someone told me at the time that once you've had one, you will need one for each subsequent birth... is this true?

Niecie Tue 15-Jul-08 03:53:57

Not for me, no.

I had very minor tearing along the scar of the episiotomy second time around but it wasn't bad enough to need stitchs and tbh I wan't even aware it was there.

DS1 was a much bigger baby too.

Niecie Tue 15-Jul-08 03:55:37

Sorry should have said DS2 was a much bigger baby and no episiotomy.

He was born at home with only a paramedic so not even a well managed birth iyswim. All happened in a bit of a hurry so could have been a lot worse.

sakurarose39 Tue 15-Jul-08 03:55:50

Nope, I had one for my first (grrr) but told my obgyn that I didn't want one if at all poss for my second. I did tear a tiny bit, but didn't feel it at all, not like the episiotomy which the male doc did with no anaesthetic and without my consent - it hurt way more than giving birth!

alipiggie Tue 15-Jul-08 04:42:34

Another one here that didn't have one for ds2. Thank goodness. Could probably have managed without one for ds1 if the midwife hadn't stressed.

aberdeenhiker Tue 15-Jul-08 10:09:21

Hmm, I've had the opposite experience. DS1's birth was an episiotomy and healed really quickly. He had a really big head too. For DS2, I listened to the midwifes and ended up with a 2nd tear that is not healing, including a very sensitive skin tag that is still bleeding 6 weeks post-partumn, looks like a train wreck, and still hurts. DS2 had a big head (36 cm) but not obscenely big. I am really regretting not sticking to my request to have another elective epis rather than giving in to the midwives.

Psychomum5 Tue 15-Jul-08 10:13:16

I had one with DD1.

DD2 had a really big head, but my labour went super quick and caught everyone out (5cms to giving birth in 10minsshock<<ouch>>), and so no time for one......I did tear v3ery badly tho!

with the nest three babies however, not tears, stiches, cuts.....nothing......most thrilling but shocking too. altho, after DD2 (she was 8lb10) all the others were smaller so could have walked outwink!

whatdayisit Tue 15-Jul-08 10:23:32

No for me too and DS2 was bigger, just a minor tear 2nd time and no stitches.

twocutedarlings Tue 15-Jul-08 11:22:53

Same here, episiotomy for DD1 she was a forcep delivery.

No episiotomy for DD2, i just had a tiny cut which healed really quickly.

HumphreyCushioni Tue 15-Jul-08 11:25:17

Forceps and episiotomy with DS1.
Easy, unassisted delivery with DS2 - no episiotomy and just a small tear.

MumWith2Boys Wed 16-Jul-08 19:55:51

Same here - episiotomy for DS1 but not DS2, just a small tear. Much much quicker recovery and nowhere near as sore.

NorthernLurker Wed 16-Jul-08 20:02:23

It's not necessarily true - although I've had three so am not the best example of that! The midwife I had with dd3 was most reluctant to cut and we had a really nice chat about it when I got to the hospital in labour. My view was that I expected to need one and was fine with that, hers was that she would read through my notes and really try not to - but in the end she did have to and it was fine. I was actually thrilled as with my two previous births I'd had a cut and a tear - with dd3 I just had the cut. The midwives (and dh) plainly thought I was completely high on baby euphoria to be pleased about my third episiotomy but they've always healed well so it doesn't bother me. Definately not having any more though - babies or epis - there is only so much embroidery one woman can take!

azkat Wed 16-Jul-08 22:29:26

I must be the lucky one then! I had episiotomy with ds1 and loads of stitches. Really worried about it leading up to the birth of ds2 but fortunately no episiotomy and no tear's at all. I was amazed that i could actually sit down properly straight after the birth!

gemmiegoatlegs Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:44

no for me also. episiotomy and tears AND stitches for a baby less than 7 pounds (sigh)

with dd, the birth was alot faster but no tearing or cutting required

didoreth Thu 17-Jul-08 01:31:35

No for me too. Epi for dd. Tiny 1st degree tear with ds, who was a big baby with a big head.
Be warned though, if, like me, you had local anaesthetic when you had the episiotomy, the pain of crowning may come as somewhat of a shock...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now