Talk

Advanced search

Where did your waters break? Do they really go in public?

(34 Posts)
bohemianbint Mon 14-Jul-08 21:43:45

I've not met anyone in RL whose waters went in M&S or the like, but I'm nearing that stage now and have started to worry that if it could happen, it probably would happen to me. Fortunately last time mine went when I got up out of bed so it wasn't really that embarassing as there was no one else about.

Anyone got any good waters stories? grin

ILoveDolly Mon 14-Jul-08 21:47:48

Mine didn't go until I was at hospital, but I was in a cafe with a pregnant friend and she did go whoosh, on to the floor. The other people we were with had the presence of mind to announce we'd "spilled some water" and then hurry the poor girl into the loo to compose herself. I don't think I have ever heard of it happening to anyone else ever though! I think the odds are on your side of it not happening........

FAQ Mon 14-Jul-08 21:49:27

first time around my waters went as I was watching the opening ceremony of the 2000 Olympic games - thought I needed th toilet - got up to go downstairs and fed a werid sensation as I went down for some bizarre reason I KNEW that it was my waters going.

JUST made it to the downstairs bathroom in time - my mum came home ( we were living my parents at the time) walked through the front door to find me sat on the toilet (the bathroom door still wide open - and RIGHT next to the front door) with what looked like a flooded bathroom around me. It was like the Niagara falls take 2 grin

2nd time was in public - but very boring - was walking up the steps into the church grounds to play the organ and I started leaking. knew it was my waters - so dashed to the church toilet, made a make shift "pad" from what was probably 3/4 of a toilet roll and sat and played the organ - didn't DARE to move my bum at as I played - and kept my kneews firmly together in case they suddenly went like they did with DS1.

snickersnack Mon 14-Jul-08 21:55:45

My antenatal teacher spent a long time reassuring us our waters would not break in the frozen foods aisle of Tesco.

She was right. Mine broke in the fruit and veg aisle of Sainsburys. Not just a trickle, either. To my shame I abandoned the trolley and bolted. I assume they thought it was a strange leak from an air conditioning unit or something.

If there's ever a next time, I'm wearing 6 maternity pads and a towel between my legs from week 37 and not leaving the house.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 14-Jul-08 22:07:13

The first three were quite dull, twice onto the kitchen floor during dinner and once in the bath during labour.

With DC4 I was in the barn making up horse feeds and had a gush. Very exciting and all that but I carried on with the chores and had another gush in the paddock, then another in the stables mucking out and I continued to have random gushes once I went back up to the house - it was an amazing amount of water! But the horses don't really count as 'in public' do they?! grin

micegg Mon 14-Jul-08 22:09:12

Mine went at home both times. Not niagra falls just a slow continous leak blush. My mum was helping me to get dressed when some elaked onto the floor and she nearly fell over grin

chatee Mon 14-Jul-08 22:11:23

oh yes they do go in public places...i speak from experience with dc2 and it wasn't just a little trickle!!

copingvquietly Mon 14-Jul-08 22:13:53

mine went in hospital with the help of a nasty hook <shudder>

FAQ Mon 14-Jul-08 22:16:11

oh 3rd time mine went in hospital as I was sat on the birthing ball - I said "urghh my waters have just gone"

H, my Doula and midwife looked round near me and said "no I don't think so - nothing there"

needless to say when I stood up I was indeed right - my weight on the ball had created a "pool" in the middle and when I stood up it went everywhere grin

sandy4 Mon 14-Jul-08 22:16:52

My midwife made the threat of breaking my waters for me shock so I started jumping up & down as soon as she left the room. And it REALLY worked grin

wessexgirl Mon 14-Jul-08 22:19:07

With dd1 in the car (on the way back from blood pressure monitoring at the hospital).

With dd2, during labour - didn't quite get to cvq's nasty hook stage, though, thank Christ.

maidamess Mon 14-Jul-08 22:22:13

Mine broke all over my dh as he knelt on the floor trying to help his 13 1/2 stone wife back into her knickers. And with an audible 'pop'.

cheesesarnie Mon 14-Jul-08 22:23:37

with dd they went gradually and i thought i was wetting myselfblush.they didnt break with the boys.

Pavlovthecat Mon 14-Jul-08 22:24:41

In bed at 5:30am. I went to the toilet, came back to bed, and thought I had continued to wet myself!

I wanted it to go in M&S as they give you vouchers! grin

OurHamsterisevil Tue 15-Jul-08 11:57:31

DS1 - at my MIL's house, there were guests there too! blush
DS2 - just before he was born in an explosion, which I found hilarious

FourArms Tue 15-Jul-08 12:09:31

With DS1 it was the dreaded hook.

With DS2 they started at night in bed, and continued to leak. Had a big gush at gymtots whilst leaning over the ball pit, but was wearing a pad by then. Seemed to reseal though (this was on the Monday and MW who checked couldn't see any waters left), and the MW broke them again during labour (Saturday night).

MehgaLegs Tue 15-Jul-08 12:13:12

With my three vaginal births they all went just before the pushing stage kicked in. With DS1 the MW was hovering over me with a hook but they went by themselves with a gush.

Elmosgirl Tue 15-Jul-08 12:17:24

happened well into labour on hospital bed both times.

AnguaVonUberwald Tue 15-Jul-08 12:22:33

Mine went as I gave birth!

Spaghettiarms Tue 15-Jul-08 12:24:01

in birthing pool towards the end of my labour both times

mum2oandh Tue 15-Jul-08 12:25:15

With dd, about 30 seconds after picking ds up from school, and I flooded, could have been V. blush a few minutes earlier grin

ClareVoiant Tue 15-Jul-08 12:40:48

also in pool as ds's head came out!

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 15-Jul-08 12:55:19

DS1 no idea when how, or where.

DS2 in hospital bed, after counting 3000 bounces on the birthing ball thing, and deciding that nothing was going to shift him so I might as well go to bed. I was so wrong.

beka277 Tue 15-Jul-08 14:33:21

It happened at home ! I felt like i needed to do a wee, raced to the toilet and pounced on it and gushhh .... after the large gush it leaked fairly well for about another 10-15 minutes ...so did not have an audience thankgoodness!

Fleecy Tue 15-Jul-08 14:42:19

In bed at home with DD. Thought I'd wet myself for a minute! IN bed again for DS, then another flood in the front garden, another one in the car, another one outside the hospital door and another one in the hospital bathroom. Couldn't quite believe how much there was!

Have to say, it's uite unlikely to happen in public surely? I've never seen it happen when I'm out and about - and I've never met anyone who had it happen to them either. That said, it'll probably happen to me next time now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now