Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Induction suggested due to fast first labour. Advice needed.

(27 Posts)
suiledonn Sun 13-Jul-08 16:39:12

Hi, I posted a while back about my consultant's suggestion that I be reviewed at 38 weeks for possible induction this time due to a very quick labour first time round.

I have been thinking it over and the reasons I have against induction are:

1. 38 weeks is too early. DD was only 3 days early so why is there a need to intervene so early?

2. DD was just over 6lb in weight if this is another small baby won't it be tiny at 38 weeks?

3. If we proceeded with induction at 38 weeks could it make breast feeding harder to establish?

4. Although length of labour from first contraction to delivery was very quick with dd I instinctively knew for about 12 hours that it was imminent. This time round I would go immediately to the hospital if I felt the same.

5. I have heard that if you are likely to have a quick labour then induction can make it very intense and painful and as I had dd with no pain relief needed I would like to aim for this again and keep things as natural as possible.

Does this sound like a list of things I can put forward to the consultant to make my case? Has anyone any thoughts or anything to add?


milknosugar Sun 13-Jul-08 16:42:12

you can just say no, its your choice. my mw told me they can often tell if labour is imminent so if you are worried then maybe ask for check ups with mw to see how far off they think you are and be induced when you are close. i went for a home birth with ds4 because i was worried about this.

belgo Sun 13-Jul-08 16:42:17

Of course you can refuse to be induced. You don't even need to give a reason, although your reasons are very well thought out.

For your own security, I would make sure you are well prepared to get to the hospital quickly - and maybe get your dh to read up on what to do in an emergency home deliverywink

Alternatively have you considered a home birth?

crokky Sun 13-Jul-08 16:53:26

You could be admitted to hosp at 38 weeks & stay until labour comes/be induced a few days later? Then you are safe if it happens etc.

I believe it is maturity of baby that is important, not size, although I suppose it would be better if baby was a bit bigger.

I've had 2 induced at 37 weeks due to complics. DS (no 1) was v bad at bf, but established fine in the end, no need to express/have formula, just needed to spend a (very) long time at it. DD (no 2) bf easily at 37+1.

Do you know the sex? It is often said that early girls are stronger than early boys and that was certainly my experience.

Both my inductions were incredibly painful (sorry, just trying to be honest) and I would recommend hard (!) drugs if you are induced. I did my 2nd induction with nothing until a few minutes of gas and air at the end. This was not my choice, it was due to understaffing and refusing to accept that birth was imminent! It was horrible and I would have an epidural if I had to do it again I would def have epi (had epi for 1st induction).

PS neither needed SCBU at 37 weeks. Most babies wouldn't need it at 38 weeks.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 13-Jul-08 16:56:19

Message withdrawn

littleducks Sun 13-Jul-08 17:06:39

What exactly are the reasons for inducing? How fast was first labour?

My mw suggests homebirths for quick laboures, did you have complications?

Klaw Sun 13-Jul-08 17:10:08

plan a homebirth?

ilovemydog Sun 13-Jul-08 17:12:19

I had a horrendously quick labor with DD (30 minutes) with no pain relief. With DS was induced at 38 weeks. It was a more normal labor.

It didn't affect breastfeeding at all. smile

suiledonn Sun 13-Jul-08 17:28:37

It might sound strange but although I want as natural a birth as possible I would prefer to do it in a hospital setting. We are 45 minutes from nearest hospital on some very bad roads ( and that's in perfect circumstances, not considering traffic, weather etc) and I wouldn't like to risk complications and then having to travel so far.

No complications during birth last time but did have a retained placenta that had to be removed under general anaesthetic.

After reading some other posts on Mumsnet the birth wasn't world record speed. I got to 2-3cm with about an hour of managable contractions and delivery within 90 minutes.
I think the doctor is being over cautious really.

Klaw Sun 13-Jul-08 17:48:02

Trust your instincts, be sensible and make sure that you can leave for hospital asap after ctx start. Who will have dd? Are they close by?

littleducks Sun 13-Jul-08 19:25:45

i'm not medical so may well be spouting rubbish but i seriously dont see the point in being induced for those reasons, surely it could complicate your labour

i would just be on the watch out for signs of labour starting and leave asap

unless you dont really want to labour in the car which i could see the point in

do what you feel comfortable with

popsycal Sun 13-Jul-08 19:34:53

I am secretly hoping that they will induce me as I had a silly speed labour with ds2. Also, I have been advised not to have a home birth due to history of high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia.

I have been induced before (ds1 at 37 weeks for pre-eclampsia) and it was a positive, non-intervention birth but I do understand that there can be more issues with induction than spontaneous labour.

I have a midwife appointment in a few weeks (currently 29-30 weeks) when I plan to discuss my worries and concerns. The main one being that my mum, who will look after the boys when I am in labour, lives a 20 minute drive away but on a route that can take anything up to an hour or so depending on the time of day. I only got to the hospital in time with ds2 (just in time mind, no chance to get to the delivery suite!!) as my first contraction was a little after 6am on a sunday morning - and he was in my arms at 7:20!

popsycal Sun 13-Jul-08 19:37:06

I didn't have any warning before the first contraction btw. So I understand where you are coming from.

My biggest fear is going into labour alone, or worse, alone with the children.

googgly Sun 13-Jul-08 19:51:17

38 weeks is not very early. One of my friends had a 2 hr labour the first time round, so with number 2 they left for the hospital the first second she thought she might be in labour, and her dh had to deliver the baby on the floor of the garage. I'd rather have the induction than that, or go to hospital and wait. I can't see that having a homebirth helps, if the baby's going to come out before the doctor arrives anyway.

foxythesnowfox Sun 13-Jul-08 20:00:22

You can prepare for a homebirth and transfer in any time you like, that way if anything happens you will have care and your MW will accompany you to hospital when you go. That way you will be prepared if anything happens quickly.

How quick are we talking here?

I'd personally be a bit uncomfortable with the suggestion of an induction at 38 weeks because I do feel (quite strongly) that these babies come when they are ready. Perhaps you could negotiate a 38 week review and a 39 week possible induction plan?

Good luck smile

foxythesnowfox Sun 13-Jul-08 20:06:04

umm, when I say "quite strongly" that's for me, I don't feel quite strongly about anyone elses induction BTW. Thought I should clarify having re-ready Popsycals posts, don't want to come across as critical of anyone else. I was just thinking about covering all bases. blush

<<backs out of thread quietly>>

lulumama Sun 13-Jul-08 20:09:51

i think that you sound like you are really sorted and know what you want .

i thikn your list of reasons sounds great

what you could do as a compromise is have a sweep and /or assessment at 38 weeks, to see how 'ripe' you are. and if it looks like you coudl go any minute, maybe look at an indcution. and if not, then review at 39 weeks?

ultimately it is up to you

worse case scenario you call 999 if you cannot get to hospitl due to speed of labour or book a homebirth and transfer in if you need to

popsycal Sun 13-Jul-08 20:10:21

not critical at all! I realise that I am probably in the minority of wanting to be induced in a way. I am in denial about the whole birth thing tbh!

suiledonn Sun 13-Jul-08 21:27:06

Thanks for the replies everyone. You have given me plenty to think about. It is quite a strange situation to be in because most of my friends had extremely long labours first time round so they have no experience of this situation.
Ideally I would love to have a similar experience to my first because I felt so calm and relaxed but I know every time is different and there is no way to know what will happen. I presume from the way the doctor was talking that a fast first labour is a good indicator of the next one being quick too. Otherwise I will get a terrible shock if I end up with a long drawn out labour this time.

madmouse Sun 13-Jul-08 21:33:24

I had to be induced, and although it was ok as it was necessary, I would not opt for it in your situation.

I do think it is better for your baby to be born quickly than to come out by forceps or other intervention (although you may not nbeed intervention of course - it is not a given)

I second a home birth. Or ring an ambulance as soon as you start.

MGMidget Sun 13-Jul-08 23:04:44

I'd be worried that induction could make your contractions very powerful and that could stress the baby. That might mean more intervention or danger for the baby (e.g. contractions squashing the umbillical cord?). I guess your consultant will have considered this but then again consultants mostly only do 'intervention' anyway so they may be comfortable with that whereas you may not be! Also if the baby's not ready I've heard that could mean a 'failed' induction and a c-section.
Normally women go into labour during the night don't they? Therefore journey times are likely to be quicker if you're rushing to hospital in the middle of the night. Also you do sound like a good candidate for a homebirth but it would mean they would have to get a midwife to you quickly - so that may depend on how well-staffed they are for homebirths.

lou33 Sun 13-Jul-08 23:13:07

i had my waters broken with ds2 at 36 weeks on account of precipitous labours with my other 3 at between 37 and 39 weeks

2 were born at home, one 3 mins after getting to hospital (being pushed out into tights)

the labours were significantly quicker each time and there was a real risk of me having an unattended delivery at home, aside from the fact i have been in threatened labour at 30 weeks, and in pain ever since

so my waters were broken in hospital and he was born 22 minutes later

i managed some gas and air with him, <fabulous>, but had nothing with the other 3, and he was 6lb 4 at 36 weeks

dd1 was 6lb 6 @ 39 weeks
dd2 was 6lb 10 @ 37 weeks
ds1 was 8lbs @ 38 weeks

dont know if this helps at all

lou33 Sun 13-Jul-08 23:14:10

i should also add that i get no warnings at all, my contractions are one on top of the other straight away, so no time to go anywhere or do anything

Rolf Mon 14-Jul-08 10:14:02

I think your reasons for declining induction all sound sensible. I was induced at 38 weeks with my 3rd child. Bfeeding was fine. The labour was fine until the last 30 minutes although in retrospect the doula I booked for my 4th delivery would have helped me avoid some unnecessary intervention.

I've just had my 4th child at home. It was an unplanned homebirth as the labour was very fast. As things turned out it was wonderful but I would be quite nervous going into that situation again. I realised 40 minutes before delivery that it was time to get my children picked up (so I could start thinking about getting to hospital!). 30 minutes before delivery realised I couldn't make it into the car. The midwives reaches me 20 minutes before delivery.

I had worked out a contingency plan with our local midwives as I have a history of fast labours, so I had their phone numbers and on-call rota. But apparently that is unusual - becuase I hadn't booked a homebirth they would have been entitled not to offer their contact details. I'd have had to call the hosptial, who would have allocated the on-call midwife for the whole area who may have been 45 minutes drive away. Or I'd have called 999. In either case, I'd have faced a (undiagnosed) breech delivery either alone or with just paramedics.

If I was to have another baby I would book a homebirth with the intention of going to hospital if I could (I have GBS so need to have IV antibiotics in labour). That way the local midwives would be expecting your call and would know to get to you v quickly. You'd also have a homebirth kit in the house.

littleducks Mon 14-Jul-08 13:33:17

I also had an unplanned homebirth, realise thats not you want but all things considered the paramedics do a pretty good job and when ds is bigger im sure he will love the pics of him wrapped in a towel being cuddled by the paramedic!

So if it all goes to pot on the day stay calm and relax in the knowledge the ambulance crews are great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: