Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Units in Coventry and surrounding area?

(19 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 11-Jul-08 15:22:20

I live in London but am due to go to my SIL's wedding 3 days before my due date - how do I go about looking up which are the best maternity units in the Coventry area in case I go into labour over that weekend and obviously can't get back to my hospital in London?

lottie85 Fri 11-Jul-08 15:26:42

hi, i was born in coventry and as far as i know its in the walsgrave hospital, although this may have changed as now live in the south, u could try the nhs website as they normally have a guide to all maternity units.hope this helps x

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 11-Jul-08 15:32:59

thanks Lottie, have heard of the walsgrave, just really weird having to look into hospitals when you don't live nearby so haven't heard anything about them!

lottie85 Fri 11-Jul-08 15:37:36

i know, i had a choice of two hospitals to give birth in and i found that difficult enough!when are u due?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 11-Jul-08 16:10:04

not til october but we're off to see SIL in a few weeks so wanted to do a bit of research in case I can do a tour of one or btoh or a few of the hospitals - just in case!! so weird to be planning my birth at my hospital knowing there's a chance i could end up in the midlands!

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 13-Jul-08 20:31:11

I know this is a few days old but just wanted to say that I had DS in Coventry. The hospital there used to be Walsgrave but has recently become Coventry and Walsgrave University Hospital (or something like that). They have been merging with another hospital and a lot of the place is a building site but the maternity wing was one of the first bits to be redone so when I had DS in 2005, it was just about brand new.

I found it good, the labour suites were nice, a large room with a large beanbag in and space to move around, with a bathroom with full bath between two labour rooms with lockable doors. The wards are pretty standard but the newness helps I think. I was pleasantly surprised by the hospital and if I hadn't moved since then would happily have DC2 there.

I am sure that there are those who have had bad experiences though, like everywhere.

madmouse Sun 13-Jul-08 21:29:47

How do you define Coventry area? There is also the George Eliott in Nuneaton and of course there is Birmingham.

As far as Nuneaton is concerned though my high risk obstetrician from Oxford told me in no uncertain terms that I should have my next babe in the Walsgrave not the GE (I have just moved to Bedworth, between the two)but that is due to complications at my son's birth.

Depending how quickly your labour goes you may actually be able to make it back to London as long as you leave straight away, it is not that far.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 13-Jul-08 21:35:52

The main hospital in Coventry (which includes the maternity unit) is the University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire. It opened about 2-3 years ago, prior to this the "old hospital" was called the Walsgrave Hospital. (Walsgrave is a district of Coventry)

more info here

The George Eliot Hospital in Nuneaton is 10-15 miles away. Contrary to popular belief Coventry is not (imo) particularly near to Birmingham - it is about 20 miles away. If you found yourself in labour in Coventry your first thought would probably not be to get to Birmingham. (in rush hour on the M6 it could take a significant amount of time).

I had dd2 in the "new" hospital and had excellent care; however I have heard mixed reports.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 13-Jul-08 21:41:57

Sorry link is out of date.

Try www.uhcw.nhs.uk/new/hospital

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 14-Jul-08 08:16:56

agree with lollipop as to travel to Birmingham. You wouldn't really. Plus, it's not as if there are any accessible hospitals that way anyway that are far superior to what's available in Coventry, they all have their ups and downs.

EOM Mon 14-Jul-08 08:38:12

I had my 2 DS's at UHCW, and due to have this one there too. Care was good. Some midvies were better than others, but that is normal. Haven't heard any horror stories from my friends either.

Bronze Mon 14-Jul-08 08:40:36

I had a horrible time as walsgrave. Luckily I was only there for one night and I think I was probably just unlucky. Couldn't wait to be transferred out though.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Mon 14-Jul-08 13:17:45

thanks for the replies girls, seems like it might just be a case of the nearest hospital which will be the uni one...the wedding is just outside Cov

not sure about trying to make it back to London in a hire car though...

MumWith2Boys Mon 14-Jul-08 19:54:35

Depending on which side of Cov you are "just outside of" there's Warwick Hospital too. I had both DSs there. No horror stories smile

Squarah Tue 15-Jul-08 12:10:59

Heard good things about Warwick - has newly decorated rooms, all with birth balls, and a pool which tends to be empty fairly often. They have a virtual tour online. 2 friends recently delivered there and spoken very highly of it - which is a relief as I plan to "pop" there soon!

Volkl Tue 15-Jul-08 12:28:33

Walsgrave in Cov has a super duper maternity unit, recently redone and new etc. Head goods thing

Warwick isnt that far, its where i had my DS and i couldnt complain

Volkl Tue 15-Jul-08 12:30:34

Head goods thing - WHAT?!?!?!? hmm

Should have read Heard good things!

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 17-Jul-08 14:49:05

oh yes have heard about the warwick - you can only do an online tour can't you? do either of them have an attached birthing unit at all?

Squarah Thu 17-Jul-08 16:42:32

No to Warwick, don't know about Covo. Increasingly common not to be able to visit labour suites due to health and safety and confidentiality issues. I think they all look roughly the same frankly smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now