Talk

Advanced search

no bh contractions, no labour, 4 days overdue and will be induced soon

(24 Posts)
ohmamma Wed 09-Jul-08 12:22:58

did someone went to pregnancy without bh contractions and had a normal delivery? am overdue and getting desperate!!!

beka277 Wed 09-Jul-08 13:03:12

i never noticed bh contractions in my first pregnancy....and i had a normal delivery...

My midwife said not feeling bh in first pregnancy is normal..

Pruners Wed 09-Jul-08 13:05:01

Message withdrawn

ohmamma Wed 09-Jul-08 13:06:41

thx, this is re-assuring, how did u get into labor? did any of the old home remedies work? nothing seems to be doing the trick for me... i hope at least the gel and the drip will work...

TheFallenMadonna Wed 09-Jul-08 13:08:52

I've never had them. Was induced with DS but spontaneous labour with DD (10 days overdue though).

ScaryHairy Wed 09-Jul-08 13:09:28

I had hardly any braxton hicks and at a week overdue my cervix was too closed for a sweep.

Nonetheless at 40+10 I woke up with contractions which built up to established labour over about 18 hours, so it does happen!

[I didn't have a normal delivery but that was more to do with management of my labour than anything else IMO.]

Elmosgirl Wed 09-Jul-08 13:09:45

Never had any braxton hicks in either pregnancy, went into labour naturally.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 09-Jul-08 13:11:16

Message withdrawn

ohmamma Wed 09-Jul-08 13:46:52

pretty sure about the date... am booked in for tomorrow night...

lulumama Wed 09-Jul-08 13:50:07

why are you beiung induced at term + 5.. you can go to 42 weeks, you know, after that you are late ! a normal full temr pregnancy is between 37 -42 weeks.. you can ask for expectnat management, scans and monitoring until baby arrives spontaneously or you are induced at term + 1 0 or 12

if your body is not ready, then you might find you are being induced for a looooong time whihc is tiring

is this your first?

am dubious of induction at term + 5

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 09-Jul-08 13:51:04

Message withdrawn

ohmamma Wed 09-Jul-08 14:06:06

the general reason that i have been given is that after 41wk the placenta doesnt work as well as it used to

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 09-Jul-08 14:10:18

Message withdrawn

MGMidget Wed 09-Jul-08 14:24:40

anecdotally, most women I know who have been induced have ended up with a c-section so be prepared! I think once you are induced you are on a timetable to deliver or they get the knives out. If you get induced too early the hormones they use don't seem to work properly so labour can stop - then it can mean you're off to the theatre. Better to wait a bit longer if you can unless there is a medical reason (e.g. high blood pressure) for doing the induction so early. Most women go into spontaneous labour by 42 weeks and you could even leave it a few days longer if you chose to be monitored.

carmenelectra Wed 09-Jul-08 14:26:00

5 days overdue then you shouldnt be induced so early. Trusts vary but ours is term plus 10. You are not even 41 wks yet! I would push for waiting a bit longer(unless there is any other reason). The last thing you want is a failed induction.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 09-Jul-08 14:29:26

How do you feel about being induced?

laughinglil Wed 09-Jul-08 14:58:56

i am being induced tomorrow .. I will be 40 + 10 and I am a bit dubious. eeek shall I or shall I not! Good luck though !

BagelBird Wed 09-Jul-08 15:11:17

Good luck laughinglil

40+5 and normal medical history and pregnancy??? Shocked they would consider induction so early. Of course it is your choice and there might be other factors we don’t know. But, if there is no good reason to induce other than being 5 days over, personally I would be questioning their reasoning quite hard. Don’t be fobbed off with "imminent placental failure" either - unless you have a particular medical condition. Just pap to suggest that every woman who hits 40 weeks starts to have their placenta fail.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Wed 09-Jul-08 15:17:14

Can see both sides of this.

As others have said if there is no medical reason to induce so early then it is best not to let them do it.

But, if you want/need to be induced at 40+5, then thought I'd let you know I have been induced at 40+5 and then at 41 weeks, both inductions went well, no other interventions, second was even without pain relief.

Just so that if you do go through with it,you know it doesn't always end up in the horror stories you hear about.

sagitta Wed 09-Jul-08 15:24:37

I was induced at 40+12 first time, and booked for induction at 42 wks second time, but went into labour naturally a few hours before. I have to say, the natural labour was much, much better. If you can wait a bit, I really would...

MKG Wed 09-Jul-08 15:35:29

I was induced at 38 weeks in my first pregnancy (high blood pressure), I had no Bhs and ended up with a lovely vaginal delivery and no other interventions.

I don't really understand why they want it done if you don't have any health issues though.

Do you want to be induced or are you happy to wait until you go into labor naturally?

If I were you I'd ask for a few rounds of prostaglandins and see what happens, if they don't work they can send you home.

Once you get your waters broken, and the drip put in you aren't leaving without a baby one way or another.

lulumama Wed 09-Jul-08 16:00:02

some placentas start to decline at 36 weeks, some at 38 weeks.. does not mean that they cannot support the baby ! starting to decline is not the same as stopping totally! some placentas are more than able to support the baby until 42 + weeks

40 + 5 sounds a dubious and highly conservative policy if the only reason is placenta not as efficient as earlier in the pregnancy!!

also, if your bishops score is low, then you can be in for a really long haul and more possibility of a c.section

if your cervix is short, soft, opening , anterior and your baby is low, then go for it .. if not, i would leave well alone and ask for monitroing and scannign until term + 10 if not term + 14

that is my opinion

Tangle Wed 09-Jul-08 17:30:26

I didn't really notice BHs until about 40+7 (although the MWs spotted them straight away for a week or so before). Started with a bloody show at 40+8. DD born at 40+10 after 7 hours of active labour, at home and with no interventions.

Lulu - if your cervix is short, soft opening and anterior and your baby is low, aren't you likely to go into labour soon regardless?

carmenelectra Wed 09-Jul-08 21:17:00

I wouldnt agree to induction(unless big, big problem) if cervix wasnt favourable.

In fact i declined being booked in for one myself last yr until they examined me. I was no way gonna head towards a failed induction because i wasnt ready. Anyway, all went well and i went into labour myself.

Not all inductions are horror stories though, far from it!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now