Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone else experienced HELLP syndrome?

(8 Posts)
Helen16 Tue 08-Jul-08 16:44:47

I was unfortunate enough to get pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome a week before I was due to be induced. Has anyone else experience this condition and how did it effect them?

TuttiFrutti Tue 08-Jul-08 17:02:55

My SIL had this and had a bad birth experience with her first (the birth itself was fine, although induced very early, it was the after-effects). Second time round, she didn't develop either HELLP or pre-eclampsia and had a normal pregnancy and birth.

PeachyBAHonsBirthdayGirl Tue 08-Jul-08 17:10:50

Hi

I had eclampsia but not HELLP, however I have spoken to women who did via this charity here that I am on the committee of (well think I am.... certainly used to be... <<fuzzled brain emoticon>>

The lady who runs it has a list of names and can put you in touch with someone who has if you want to talk it through.

Truth is, sometimes it repeats, sometimes it
doesn't. I was induced early as ds1 was deteriosrating although fortunately at 38 weeks, he was IUGR and is now disabled (nobody knows if related or not as I have a second twith the same thng, so might be genetic)- anyhow, my other 4 births have been good ones, and the last was at home.

Helen16 Thu 10-Jul-08 08:39:19

Thankyou both for the reply. Peachy sorry to hear you had some problems yourself. But I hope all the children are doing well.
The affects of the HELLP were quite dramatic. It all started with a pain on my right hand side on the bottom of my rib cage. Which got steadily worse, by the time I went into A&E (after ringing everybody and being passed from pillar to post) it was excruciating I couldn't move without screaming. But after delivery by emergency C the pain completely vanished. After effects were anaemia and low platelet count - with a result of no energy for weeks. Baby was completely fine however. At about 8 weeks got an all clear on the blood test results and i feel fine now and enjoying motherhood. Just have concerning about future pregnancies as care on the ward afterwards was appauling.

TuttiFrutti Thu 10-Jul-08 11:28:08

My SIL was told she had a 20% chance of getting HELLP second time around, but I don't know if that's universal or just her.

LiegeAndLief Thu 10-Jul-08 11:31:33

Hi Helen, I had pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome almost 2 years ago with my son. I had the same pain under my rib cage but no other symptoms and so was passed round doctors and mws being told it was indigestion or breech baby - I was convinced I was in too much agony for either of these but no one believed me! Anyway eventually my bp went up and I was admitted. I was very lucky that the HELLP symptoms disappeared of their own accord and I was left with bog standard pre-eclampsia - hung on in hospital for a bit until ds was born by cs at 34 weeks. He was fairly poorly and in hospital for 2 months but is now a beuatiful and very healthy toddler.

It did leave me feeling very shaky though. I got hold of my notes and also went for a pre-conception appt with my consultant when ds was a year old, which really helped - we talked about the risk of a second pg and what could be done to manage it. You are less likely to get PE or HELLP in a second pg but the risk is dependent on how severe it was the first time, time of onset etc. Would really recommend asking for a referral from your gp for similar appt.

Have you seen the APEC website? That has lots of info and support for pre-eclampsia.

Glad you and your baby are now well smile

Helen16 Thu 10-Jul-08 14:45:29

LiegeandLief thankyou for this great advice, it has greatly reassured me and I will certainly see the consultant before the next pregnancy.

kelsangel Sun 21-Oct-12 15:36:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now