Talk

Advanced search

Which Sheila Kitzinger book shall I read?

(11 Posts)
franch Tue 01-Feb-05 12:27:16

The subjects of her books all seem to overlap - if I read only one, which should it be?

I'm looking for inspiration and guidance for taking control of my 2nd pregnancy and labour - hopefully a home birth - after a traumatic, highly medicalised first birth - classic spiral of intervention, bullying etc etc.

franch Tue 01-Feb-05 13:08:44

bump

gish Tue 01-Feb-05 13:45:32

"The New Experience of Childbirth" has just been revised and updated, came out last year. Its fab.

I would also recommend "Birthing from Within" by Pam England if you are into preparing and want some inspiraton - good chapter in it for dp/dh's too!

Sallie Tue 01-Feb-05 14:22:40

How about looking at the Gentle Birth Method by Gowri Motha? I haven't read it myself but have a friend who did and who followed the diet and exercise tips in the final few months of both her pregnancies. She had two very very straightforward deliveries without any intervention or need for stitches etc. Might be worth a look....

franch Tue 01-Feb-05 14:39:48

Thanks both of you - I'll get on to Amazon!

MissChief Tue 01-Feb-05 14:58:19

mine binned in despair after birth last time. no intention of raising expectations by consulting it this time. She makes me fume, tbh!

MissChief Tue 01-Feb-05 14:58:20

mine binned in despair after birth last time. no intention of raising expectations by consulting it this time. She makes me fume, tbh!

MissChief Tue 01-Feb-05 14:58:20

MissChief Tue 01-Feb-05 14:59:25

apologies for multiple post(not attention-seeking really!), down to vagaries of local libary computer & its dodgy keyboard.

gish Tue 01-Feb-05 15:12:59

I found Sheila Kitzingers books pretty amazing and they really did help me prepare. New Active Birth by Janet Balaskas was the one I found really invaluable, Gentle Birth sounds good but I haven't read it so can't comment, but I do know others who have used it. Both mine were born at home. All the best Franch x x x

franch Tue 01-Feb-05 17:03:09

Thanks all. Am going to put out a 'wanted' notice for any of these books

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now