Talk

Advanced search

TENS machines - better to hire or buy and where from?

(23 Posts)
bohemianbint Fri 04-Jul-08 18:54:16

I'm just wondering, I hired one last time, and I remember thinking I might as well have bought one. (Didn't get much use out of the thing anyway as put it on far too late and it drove me mental.)

Want to try again this time around but not sure what to do - any tips?

biglips Fri 04-Jul-08 18:55:26

have u checked on Ebay?

bohemianbint Fri 04-Jul-08 18:58:56

blimey, I never thought of that. Will have a look, ta!

biglips Fri 04-Jul-08 19:01:33

its worth a try grin

daisy26 Sat 05-Jul-08 05:42:33

my mate brought one on ebay i think for 2opunds she had her second baby in may and im due in august so she gonna let me borrow itsmilego halfs on it and we can share it hehe

Ladytophamhatt Sat 05-Jul-08 07:30:44

I hired mine from boots.

Ebay will prob be cheaper but then if you buy it and it doesn't work properly atthe crucial moment you'll be climbing teh walls.

AT least if you hire one, you'll eb able to get a replacemnet.

Plus...you won't have a TENS machine you won't neeed aagain after you've had teh baby but will have teh deposit back tp but something nicesmile

You need to put it on as soon as the niggles start IME. I loved mine

daisy26 Sat 05-Jul-08 14:58:57

yeh true thats the risk of getting it off ebay,i wouldn't do it, but my friend always on there,the ebay site, left it up to her smile

Eaglebird Sun 06-Jul-08 22:07:16

I hired mine from Boots website. It arrived through the post really quickly, and you get a prepaid envelope to return it in.
Also, if you go overdue, you can just ring up and extend your hire for 2 weeks for free.
Found the TENS machine really helpful.
However when the pain got bad I used gas & air as well, and found it really confusing trying to concentrate on breathing and pressing the 'boost' button on the TENS machine at the same time, so I made DP take it off.
I told him to take it off and throw it out the window, in my haze of G&A blush

notasheep Sun 06-Jul-08 22:08:39

Find someone you know who works at Boots and they will get discount on the hire!

bohemianbint Mon 07-Jul-08 18:53:35

Ahhh....I didn't know Boots did them, will go and have a look. Cheers!

chocbutton Mon 07-Jul-08 19:45:27

I bought mine from here and now use it for general recurring back pain.
Was really useful in labour but like LTH says, put it on asap. I also recall ripping mine off and chucking it away about 8 hours in!

tassisssss Mon 07-Jul-08 19:49:46

first time round I hired from Boots, 2nd and 3rd time round from tescos as it was marginally cheaper and you could just take it back rather than posting it and they let me have it for longer.

i think it was the same mamatens model each time.

go for one with a boost function and a neck cord as well as clip to your dressing gown pocket option. and make sure it's small and light (some of the older models are huge)

i loved using TENs and third time round was crying for my dh to get home and hook me up!

if i'd known in advance that i'd like it and hire one 3 times i'd have been a lot cheaper buying one!

pickie Mon 07-Jul-08 19:58:56

Worth asking your midwife as 1st time round hired one (NCT I think) and 2nd time round MW borrowed me one which was great. She took it with her as well after the birth (home and she did the delivery)so no sending or bringing it back

tellyaddict Mon 07-Jul-08 20:46:18

Got mine off an ebay shop, it was great and worked perfectly (tested it as soon as it arrived). I can look up who the seller was if you like?

mumofdjandbabies Fri 11-Jul-08 21:54:38

ooh yes please would love to know grin

bohemianbint Sat 12-Jul-08 19:44:31

*Update* - ordered one (to buy, not rent!) from bumps2birth for £45. THought that seemed fair enough as it's £30 to rent one for 6 weeks, so if I have another baby it'll make more sense to have bought. And it arrived this morning, less than 24 hours after I ordered it! smile

tellyaddict Mon 14-Jul-08 18:15:08

I think that's who I got mine from - sorry I didn't see your post on Friday! Good luck with the birth when it all happens smile

bohemianbint Thu 17-Jul-08 12:15:14

Cheers tellyaddict! Am determined to learn how to use the blimmin' thing beforehand this time... grin

solo Thu 17-Jul-08 12:18:37

Don't forget that you can't just use any TENs machine as it has to have a boost button on it for labour...I found that out from my MW during labour with Dd after borrowing my mums one...G&A then...before birthing in the pool...hmm

bohemianbint Thu 17-Jul-08 12:24:38

What I'm mainly worried about is being so off my head bonkers that I get in the pool with the TENS still on!

tellyaddict Thu 17-Jul-08 17:47:50

Put whoever is in charge of getting the pads on your back, in charge of seeing that you don't go into water with it still on!!!! grin You do NOT want to do that!!

PortAndLemon Thu 17-Jul-08 18:36:44

If you buy a good make (e.g. ElleTENS) new, you can then sell it on eBay and it will work out cheaper for you than hiring.

donnakebabnew Tue 14-Feb-17 08:23:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now