Advanced search

How soon after a C-section have you fallen pregnant???

(24 Posts)
Mitchell81 Tue 24-Jun-08 16:01:59

Just wondering if anyone has fallen pregnant again soon after having a C-section and what could happen if you fell pregnant straight away???

Romy7 Tue 24-Jun-08 16:03:42

left it a year before ttc - think there is a higher risk of complications before that...

Mitchell81 Tue 24-Jun-08 16:05:12

Do you know what complications?

fiodyl Tue 24-Jun-08 16:05:20

I found out I was pregnant again 12 weeks after a C-section, no complications and had a VBAC.

chinchi Tue 24-Jun-08 16:06:20

I found out I was expecting DC2 8 months after having a c-section.

Midwife hasnt expressed any concerns, although I agree with romyt that there is a risk of complication.

Mitchell81 Tue 24-Jun-08 16:07:39

fiodyl, how far where you when you were 12 weeks since having your DC? Sorry that sounds confusing, hope you understand.

sarah293 Tue 24-Jun-08 16:09:12

Message withdrawn

Mitchell81 Tue 24-Jun-08 16:12:12

I had ds2 6 weeks ago, 3rd c-section and now panicking after reading how fertile you are after having a baby. Having implant fitted on monday, but worried if it is too late. *TMI alert* Still getting pinkish discharge when I wipe, but no period yet. Not BF
Can you fall pregnant while still bleeding?

fiodyl Tue 24-Jun-08 16:28:07

Mitchell I think I understand your question- I was around 4-5 weeks, so would have conceived approx 9-10 weeks after c-section.DS was 2 days overdue and was born exactly 49 weeks after DD.

Midwife said the only complications were that they couldnt reliably date the pregnancy as not enough time for periods to be regular again and the fact that i was likely to be very knackered looking after one young baby while pregnant again. she laughed when I asked if the scar would split open as the baby grew and said she had never known that happen.

lulumama Tue 24-Jun-08 16:31:48

mitchell, have you been using contraception? you can fall pregnant before you have a period. esepcially if not breast feeding.

i know a few people who have got pregnant 1 - 2 monhs post c.section.

it is the labour itself that puts a strain on the scar, and even then , there is only a very small risk of it coming apart

fiodyl Tue 24-Jun-08 16:33:17

Mitchell Ive also hed tha u re very fertile afer a section dur to the uterus muscles not bein knackered from labour etc.

I went on the pill after my 8 week check up and was told as I had recently given birth Id be covered straight away.Obviously that was wrong or I was already pregnant by then ,not sure that would have been possible but DS had all the signs of being very overdue when he was born.

Mitchell81 Tue 24-Jun-08 17:05:02

Thanks for the responses, makes me feel abit better that my scar won't pop open.

Lulumama: I am embaressed to say we didn't use any contraceptive, you would think I was 16. blush blush

lulumama Tue 24-Jun-08 17:14:40

ok, well, i think there might be a lesson in there somewhere !!

any time you have unprotected sex, there is a risk of pregnancy.

please be assured that if you are pregnant, then your uterus will not split due to pregnancy.

if it is about 2 weeks since your , ahem, slip up, then you could do a test.

Mitchell81 Tue 24-Jun-08 17:24:20

I will go buy a test and hold off till sunday to make sure, as getting implant on monday. thanks for your help. would my consultant ever suggest a termination due to it being so soon? I think that is my biggest worry, not the fact with how the hell I will manage.

lulumama Tue 24-Jun-08 17:26:25

he can suggest whatever the hell he likes, but he cannot make you !! i would be very surprsied if he suggested a termination. there are some slightly increased risks after a c.s re where baby and the placenta implant, but not enough to warrant termination , it is your decision.
you don;t even know if you are pregnant yet!

sahhjd Wed 10-Sep-08 18:58:20

Hello , I had a c-section 9 months ago found out im 6 weeks pregnant now.. what are the complications my looking at?? thanks!

BetsyBoop Thu 11-Sep-08 09:22:28

the only stuff I found on this (22months between my DC) is in here section 7

"Three observational studies of limited size have shown a two- to three-fold increased risk of uterine scar rupture for women with a short inter-delivery interval (below 12–24 months) from their previous caesarean section. In the NICHD study, women undergoing planned VBAC whose previous caesarean
birth was within 2 years of their labour had an increased risk of caesarean birth compared with women whose labour was more than 2 years from their previous caesarean (32% versus 25%, respectively). Although this information is useful antenatally, it should also be shared with women postnatally to enable
them to plan their preferred spacing intervals for subsequent pregnancies."

Don't get too hung up in the increased risk of rupture though, you are still only talking about roughly 1 in 100, so unlike you will be the unlucky one.

TheCrackFox Thu 11-Sep-08 10:33:54

My sister fell pregnant 5 months after her c-section. She tried for a VBAC but had a uterine rupture and she and the baby nearly both died. Sis nearly had to have a hysterectomy. They are both fine now, but baby was in SCBU for 2 weeks and had to have regular reviews with pedeatrician for 3 years.

Uterine Rupture is rare but the consequences can be devestating. IMO it is worth waiting at least a year to TTC.

myaffkin Mon 20-Oct-08 14:10:11

Uterine rupture is very unpredictable. I had my second child in 2005 by VBAC, 17 months after a section. She weighed 4150g and the uterine scar began to bulge at one point (the doctor checked on ultrasound after I complained of pain in the scar), but it didn't give way. On 28 September this year, my third child, weighing just 2880g, was born by emergency section (failure to progress, etc.) and it was found that this time the scar had ruptured -- though no harm was done. They'd tried to augment my contractions with a low dose of oxytocin -- maybe that was what did it? At any rate, the time interval isn't the only thing to watch, though the doc has said to wait a year before starting another pregnancy -- apparently there have been cases of third-trimester ruptures before labour even started. Don't know what to think, really.

Cheeseandseveredfingersarnie Mon 20-Oct-08 14:14:48

3 months later.

LackaDAISYcal Mon 20-Oct-08 14:21:12

myaffkin, oxytocin is contraindicated where previous csections have been performed because of the increased risk of rupture. I'm surprised they used it in your case.

I'm 37 weeks pregnant after two CS and have been told that my labour will not be induced or augmented in any way shape or form for this reason.

do the test OP and then worry about the ifs and whys smile

myaffkin Wed 22-Oct-08 19:56:42

LackaDAISYcal, I don't know if the oxytocin/prior c-section contradiction is absolute. Maybe it is in the UK. I gave birth in Switzerland, where a lot of things are very different. The only other option, given that my waters had broken 24 hours before, my contractions were going nowhere and the baby was showing signs of tachycardia, was an immediate repeat caesarean. I had the choice and chose the oxytocin, in full awareness of the risks. The dose was a tiny one, which is why the rupture came as a surprise to me. Did I miscalculate?

findtheriver Wed 22-Oct-08 20:44:27

I had a VBAC 14 months after CS

Keeks26 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:12:55

I could possibly be pregnant only 5 weeks after a csection. How soon were you able to confirm pregnancy with a home test?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now