Talk

Advanced search

Any experiences at PRUH (Princess Royal) Bromley

(22 Posts)
SilverSixpence Thu 05-Jun-08 17:29:28

Hi, I'm being booked into Princess Royal, and would be really interested in knowing what the quality of care and aftercare is like as I don't know anyone who's been there recently. I know it didn't do very well in the performance targets but is it friendly/clean etc. Also what is the likelihood I would get to have a water birth as I think they only have one?

wotulookinat Thu 05-Jun-08 19:08:24

Hello, I had my son there in October 2006. I wasn't too impressed, to be honest. I found the staff were rude (and I mean offensively rude) and the place was dirty - my delivery room had a used syringe on the floor and bloody splatters on a wall.
Some of the midwives were lovely, though.
I only got to have a shower the next day because a cleaner offered to sit with my baby when she found me crying after hearing two nurses talking about me saying I smelt (I had been in labour for over 30 hours FFS).
One particular doctor (female) was horrific.
I am now in counselling for PND, which could well be attributed to the way the birth was.
So....sorry to scare, but I would avoid the place.
I had heard bad things about Queen Mary's in Sidcup, but my doctor at the time recommended it over PRUH, and I wish I had taken his advice.

wotulookinat Thu 05-Jun-08 19:08:52

Although, saying that, I was born at PRUH in 1978 and my mum said it was lovely then!

wotulookinat Thu 05-Jun-08 19:09:51

But my friend had her daughter there a few years ago (when it was half-building site) and ended up with blood poisoning as part of the placenta was left in her. She also found the staff to be rude.

NoNickname Thu 05-Jun-08 19:14:21

A relative of mine has contracted MRSA from there several times (wasn't in the maternity ward).

nancy75 Thu 05-Jun-08 19:18:49

hi, had my dd there in 2005, my experience was better than wotulookinats but not amazing.
i found the midwife a bit odd (she laughed when i said i had a birth plan) and i was left on my own quite alot. i wanted a water birth but the pool was broken(?)
the delivery room was clean and i had a room after the birth, wasnt on a ward (i had mentioned if i went on a ward i would be going straight home). not sure how clean the room was tbh because my mum cleaned it all before i went in.
staff during the night were not overly helpful,would not help me feeding or changing the baby despite the fact that i had quite alot of stitches and couldnt really move, but the nurses the next day were fine.
am really soory to be telling you this because i know what a scarey time it is waiting for birth but i would say if you can go to queen mary's or lewisham.

emskaboo Thu 05-Jun-08 19:43:28

Book in for a home birth and have a lovely time in your own home?? I know it can be scary thinking about being at home if it is your first but given the choice between home and the descriptions above home would be a damn sight better. You get a midwife with you the whole time and another midwide when you really get down to it and there is masses of info on here and on the internet so you can be really well informed.

lots and lots of luck with everything I hope whatever you decide it all goes well. I am so angry and shock for nancy and wotulokinat

daizydoo Thu 05-Jun-08 20:14:08

Had DS at the PRUH Feb 2008. Labour was fine with regard to cleanliness and staffing. The staff were friendly and helpful. I dont think the chances of getting the pool are very high as they only have 1 and it is quite popular. I had use of the bath for several hours, and only got out as I couldn't cope with the pain anymore.

Post natally was different, they were very short staffed and obviously this impacts the level of care you receive, but all the midwifes I saw were friendly and the ward was clean. The midwives gave differing advice on breastfeeding, but during office hours there is a breastfeeding counsellor, who's good.

My friend had a difficult time a few months ago during her delivery as they were full. It is generally a very busy unit.

I hope all goes well for you.

wotulookinat Thu 05-Jun-08 20:17:13

nancy, it was broken when I was there OCt 2006 - maybe it was never fixed inbetween!
I got no help with breastfeeding (which I then gave up on) and went home with the baby not even knowing how to bath him or change his nappy - I know that sounds silly, but I was told in my ante-natal classes that we would be shown that after the birth.
What about Beckenham instead?

nancy75 Thu 05-Jun-08 20:32:04

is beckenham still there? i think its flats now!
wotulookinat - they were the same with me, nurse asked do you want to go, i said as i dont know how to change a nappy or give baby a bath think it might be best not to!
i do know other people that have been perfectly happy with their experience, the day i had dd they were very understaffed and that was obviously the main cause of the problems, but as its a new hospital that has cost billions it shouldnt really be the luck of the draw.

FairyMum Thu 05-Jun-08 20:35:23

I have given birth to two children at the PRUH. 9 and 7 years ago now. Awful place. Rude midwives and absolutely horrid aftercare. I blame my PND after DD partly on bad aftercare. I mean really shockingly bad aftercare. Sorry to be so negative.

ZakuroFujiwara Thu 05-Jun-08 20:50:15

I had a great experience there in July 06. In labour for 46 hours before finally having an emergency caesarean for my 10ilb 4oz baby!

Like all maternity units they are VERY short staffed but I never once felt the care of me or my baby was compromised. To be fair, my husband was there most of the time so I didn't need to rely on the staff as much as some others in the ward.

I didn't notice any uncleanliness in any of the areas othere than what I would realistically expect in an undoubtedly under-funded super busy maternity unit.

My son was born with a tongue-tie and the breast-feeding team were SOOOOOO incredibly helpful. I was given all the help I could have wished for - I needed to ask for it of course, but it was forthcoming when I did.

As I suspect is the case with anywhere you could go there is a mixture of staff - some amazingly lovely, others incredibly rude.

Of the 6 people in my NCT class that had their babies there everyone was very pleased with the care they received and felt they couldn't have asked for any more from an NHS hospital.

Hope that's a bit helpful.

getbackinyouryurtjimjams Thu 05-Jun-08 21:02:02

I had ds1 and ds2 at Farnborough before it was knocked down and replaced by the PRUH. I then had ds3 in a different hospital after we moved. I had heard bad things about the hospital we had ds3 in but it was far better than the then Farnborough.

The main problem was understaffing. I had sections for all 3 babies and my postnatal care at Farnborough was not good. The wards were filthy- I really really hope that has improved with a new hospital although my friend said it hadn't! The staff were friendly enough but very overworked/understaffed.

My consultant was a bit over cautious imo - bit too eager to induce/c-section - although he was very friendly and quite charming.

getbackinyouryurtjimjams Thu 05-Jun-08 21:02:19

I had ds1 and ds2 at Farnborough before it was knocked down and replaced by the PRUH. I then had ds3 in a different hospital after we moved. I had heard bad things about the hospital we had ds3 in but it was far better than the then Farnborough.

The main problem was understaffing. I had sections for all 3 babies and my postnatal care at Farnborough was not good. The wards were filthy- I really really hope that has improved with a new hospital although my friend said it hadn't! The staff were friendly enough but very overworked/understaffed.

My consultant was a bit over cautious imo - bit too eager to induce/c-section - although he was very friendly and quite charming.

kentDee Mon 09-Jun-08 14:57:05

Hi everyone

Im actually crying reading all these messages, as Im due to have my baby there in July. Im so shocked by what Ive read that Im seriously considering changing hospitals. My due date is 31st july, do you think I can use another hospital?

SilverSixpence Mon 09-Jun-08 17:28:24

Hi KentDee - it does all sound awful (i'm in the same position as you!) but I'm being optimistic as some of the experiences are from a few years ago. A friend of mine had a baby at Royal London Hospital which has if anything a worse reputation and she said it was fine. When are you due?

kentDee Mon 09-Jun-08 18:20:26

Hi. Im due July 31 so not long to go. I have really worked myself up about the hospital now, that Im considering a home birth. Thing that scares me about that is if there are any complications, I will have to be admitted anyway! I know the stories are from a few years ago, but they are very worrying especially for first timers! When are you due and are you having your baby at PRUH too?

SilverSixpence Fri 04-Jul-08 09:33:17

hi kentdee sorry for ignoring ur question - just found the thread again! I'm having the baby at PRUH and am due on 16th july - what did you decide to do in the end?

Mum2BabyRoo Fri 04-Jul-08 11:07:05

I had my baby at PRUH in May and I had a good experience. Please don't be put off or upset. I was in labour for 54 hours and was very well looked after - had a midwife (and DH) sitting with me the whole time and helping and encouraging me, and although it wasn't the same midwife the whole time, everyone I had was really lovely. They treated me like I was their daughter and were so kind. I couldn't use the pool cos my waters broke 1st, but I could have if I had wanted to. My labour ended in an emergency c-section, and I felt well cared for throughout. I stayed in the delivery suite for 4 nights, and spent 1 night on the labour ward - which was a little hellish after the semi luxury of the delivery suite! (Think screaming babies setting each other off up and down the corridor!) There are private rooms (I couldn't get one cos they were all full) but they cost. I only found one person to be rude - and she was a cleaner. I rang the bell for a midwife/nurse and the cleaner came and was grouchy for some reason! I was taught how to bath my baby by a very kind midwife, but to be honest you will learn all this in your parentcraft class. We all have different experiences - mine was good thankfully!

PS - I have heard that Darrent Valley have a very good maternity unit if you really are worried.

Lolski Wed 16-Jul-08 11:31:46

I had my second DS at the PRUH three weeks ago and I can honestly say that it was absolutely fine. The delivery suite was very clean with an en-suite shower room. The midwife I originally had went off duty and I had two new ones come on who were both lovely. They even came to find me on the ward afterwards for a cuddle with my new DD.
I found it to be clean and all the staff couldn't have been nicer. I know that not every experience is the same but I really hope that this helps a little bit.

SilverSixpence Wed 16-Jul-08 17:48:54

I just had my baby there 5 days ago, was excellent - had 2 midwives and wasn't left by myself at all. Midwives both lovely and encouraging, delivery room clean and well equipped with birthing ball and en suite shower room. I had my own room on the maternity ward and a midwife helped me latch him on even tho it was past midnight and came back to see how i was doing after.

SneakyHider Wed 16-Jul-08 17:51:56

Silversixpence - that mw who helped you latch your baby on didn't have lots of dark hair and red lipstick by any chance, did she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now